Author Topic: Prefab Help  (Read 18626 times)

Hersh

• Elvin Legion
Prefab Help
« on: December 1, 2002 06:02 pm CST »
Hey Particle, I was wondering if you could help me. I made my first prefab, its a pool. But, the problem is I don't know how to get it in Tribes, as a Dis that I can spawn.  eViL tried to explain it to me, something about registering it, but we didnt get very far. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Hersh
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Hersh »

I kissed a drunk girl on the lips.
This post, by its very length, defends itself against the risk of being read.

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
Re: Prefab Help
« Reply #1 on: December 1, 2002 06:03 pm CST »
Long process and it's late.  I'll explain later.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Particle »
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

Skippy

• Goblin Pup
« Reply #2 on: December 1, 2002 06:15 pm CST »
...While we're on the topic of prefabs, do you know if Worldcraft supports 3ds/Rhino3D or any other sort of file from a modeller?

...If it does, I could make models, if you wanted...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Skippy »

Hersh

• Elvin Legion
« Reply #3 on: December 2, 2002 08:50 pm CST »
Np, I probably wouldn't want to type out something long either.
 ::)

Hersh

Anonymous

• Goblin Pup
« Reply #4 on: December 3, 2002 02:05 am CST »
I'll try and explain this one. First you have to get your prefab into a .vol file. If you havnt done that yet, then this isn't going to work. But after you have created a .vol, go to http://www.planetstarsiege.com/blueprints then go to downloads, then download registeruserobjects.cs in the download section. Once you have done that, put that file in your tribes base folder. Now, open up that file and edit it, type in missionregdis(myvol, myshape);
myvol = the .vol file your shape is in and myshape = the shape in that .vol. Also put your .vol files into your tribes base directory. But if this doesn't work. Dox made a decent tutorial on http://www.planetstarsiege.com/blueprints. Just click on tutorials and read up on it.

And skippy, you can put Rhino shapes into Worlcraft but you would have to find a program to convert the files first.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Anonymous »

Hersh

• Elvin Legion
« Reply #5 on: December 3, 2002 11:20 pm CST »
Sorry, But your link seems to be broke.

Hersh

Anonymous

• Goblin Pup
« Reply #6 on: December 4, 2002 03:46 pm CST »
Ahh my bad.. Heres the link http://www.planettribes.com/blueprint/
Heh guess i added a s to it:/

Hersh

• Elvin Legion
« Reply #7 on: December 8, 2002 01:40 pm CST »
Thank you Coal that website did help alot. But I'm still having problems.

I got all the tribes tools and WC tool I needed, and I put them in a folder. Export my WC shape to map. and make a batch file with these lines.

mapconverter Pool.map Pool2.map
map2zvl Pool2.map Pool.zvl
zedshape Pool.zvl -h
vmerge Pool.vol Pool.div

And I end up with Pool.map, Pool.vol, Pool.div and Pool.zvl . Then I put the Pool.vol in my Tribes\Base directory.

Then I add this line to registeruserobjects.cs
missionRegDis(pool, Pool);

Then in the map .mis file I put
           instant SimVolume "Pool" {
 Ãƒâ€šÃ‚                 fileName = "Pool.vol";
 Ãƒâ€šÃ‚           };

I go into the map editor (for that map) and push F3 go to pool and click on Pool then Tribes crashes. I am running map eidtor in base Tribes mod. Got any ideas of what I'm doing wrong? And what are the Pool.div and Pool.zvl for?

Hersh

Anonymous

• Goblin Pup
« Reply #8 on: December 8, 2002 02:12 pm CST »
You might be using custom textures on you shape. If thats the case, youll need to download a program called Wally. Heres the link =
http://www.telefragged.com/wally/

Go to that link, click on the link "Downloads" then download the Wally Wad Viewing Program thing.

Now once you get that downloaded, install it. When you open it up, open the location of the .wad you are using for Worldcraft. Open it up, and you'll get a table of textures that are in that .wad. Now choose the textures you used on your shape *.vol* and export them to a .bmp file.

After that, youll need the program Visual VT which i do not have a link for *if you cant find it i can e-mail it to you*

Once you get Visual Vt, open it up. Select the .bmps you got out of the .wad and add them to the .vol list. once you add them, create your .vol.

Now that you have your .vol of textures, insert them into you RegisterUserObjects.cs. Load the game, and add in the textures befor you add in you shape.

If this doesn't work, then i will shoot myself for the waste of time;) But i think this is it.

Hersh

• Elvin Legion
« Reply #9 on: December 9, 2002 12:19 pm CST »
No need for self destruction here.  ;D

I got one of my things in, although it wasnt my pool. But, I think i know whats wrong. Thank you Coal for taking the time to help me out with this, I apreciate your patience.
Although, if I was to make another object with custom textures, could I include those textures in the same .vol as the shape file?

Hersh

Anonymous

• Goblin Pup
« Reply #10 on: December 9, 2002 01:54 pm CST »
No problem man, glad to be of some use.  Yea you can add the .bmps to the .vol. Just depends on how you want it done i guess.

Ahh i also forgot to add to the last post, But the Tribes engin cannot handle shapes with over 12 sides, so if you have, say a polygon with 14 sides, tribes will just shut down. So makesure you make all round things with 12 sides or less.