Author Topic: HL2 might be rebuilt  (Read 2891 times)

UnderGod

• Centurian Lord
HL2 might be rebuilt
« on: October 2, 2003 09:04 pm CDT »
Incase you haven't heard yet. The source for HL2 was leaked out and posted on the internet.. 127MB of source code. The download was taken down, but I'm sure quite a few people downloaded it by the time I seen it.

What does this mean?

It means with the complete source visable, it will be impossible to stop cheats from being made. No matter what kind of protection they use.

This also means that there will be no need for any CD keys because the auth code can be patched without any hassle.

In the long run, Sierra will lose a couple hundred thousand in sales, not to mention making a game that was supposed to be impossible to hack, opened right up for the hackers/crackers.

Well.. Knowing Sierra.. They will probably fire Valve for this. On top of that, they might just start over on the game.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by UnderGod »
"The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world"

Darwin

• Centurian Lord
    • http://www.mierda54.tripod.com
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: October 2, 2003 09:21 pm CDT »
Well you might as well post that source code ya got buddy  8)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Darwin »

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: October 2, 2003 09:21 pm CDT »
The auth code could be rewritten before release without any real problems, I'm sure.  It is a very sad day indeed though.  I heard about it just about 30 minutes ago and within about five minutes, I'd located the download site and reported it to Valve... not that they don't know already.  It's too late, you know?

It wasn't Valve's fault though.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Particle »
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

UnderGod

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: October 2, 2003 09:24 pm CDT »
The download site is a major warez download site. Where I saw it anyway..

As for rewriting the auth code.. It could be done.. But it would take a while.. Further delaying the release.

Secondly.. You don't know it isn't valve's fault.. And Sierra fired Dynamix for almost no reason.

This code could go for around 50k easy on e-bay...

Darwin

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: October 2, 2003 09:26 pm CDT »
Same, I read the news on slashdot about 30 minutes ago

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: October 2, 2003 09:27 pm CDT »
Just in case you all haven't seen it (From HardOCP):

Half Life 2 Source Code Leaked:
We have already heard the rumors running around the net about the Half Life 2 source code being leaked, no need to keep sending the different links to websites hosting the information. We have seen the different website that are listing the files, directory tree and posting screenshots of proof but we choose NOT to post that kind of stuff for several reasons.

There hasnt been any official word from Valve yet, but when there is we will certainly bring you their statements on the issue. No matter how you slice it, stuff like this is extremely bad for the game industry. If the source code has in fact been leaked then the cheaters are well under way to creating cheats and hacks and I dont know when that has ever been a good thing or "cool". The bottom line is this, the information is out there if you are looking for it but personally, I wont be posting any of the links to people hosting this stuff. Hopefully this all turns out to be a hoax. Thanks to unscrupulous scumbags that leak this kind of stuff, we can all be sure that the wait for Half Life 2 will be much longer.

Valves Official Statement:
It seems like the rumors were in fact true and there was a lot more happening behind the scenes on this one that previously thought. This isn't just a simple matter of a leaked source code CD or your basic hacking, this was some pretty serious stuff going on here. Valve is reaching out to you guys for some help in this matter. Here is a copy of Gabe Newells Official statement:

Ever have one of those weeks? This has just not been the best couple of days for me or for Valve. Yes, the source code that has been posted is the HL-2 source code.

Here is what we know:

1) Starting around 9/11 of this year, someone other than me was accessing my email account. This has been determined by looking at traffic on our email server versus my travel schedule.

2) Shortly afterwards my machine started acting weird (right-clicking on executables would crash explorer). I was unable to find a virus or trojan on my machine, I reformatted my hard drive, and reinstalled.

3) For the next week, there appears to have been suspicious activity on my webmail account.

4) Around 9/19 someone made a copy of the HL-2 source tree.

5) At some point, keystroke recorders got installed on several machines at Valve. Our speculation is that these were done via a buffer overflow in Outlook's preview pane. This recorder is apparently a customized version of RemoteAnywhere created to infect Valve (at least it hasn't been seen anywhere else, and isn't detected by normal virus scanning tools).

6) Periodically for the last year we've been the subject of a variety of denial of service attacks targetted at our webservers and at Steam. We don't know if these are related or independent.

Well, this sucks.

What I'd appreciate is the assistance of the community in tracking this down. I have a special email address for people to send information to, helpvalve@valvesoftware.com. If you have information about the denial of service attacks or the infiltration of our network, please send the details. There are some pretty obvious places to start with the posts and records in IRC, so if you can point us in the right direction, that would be great. We at Valve have always thought of ourselves as being part of a community, and I can't imagine a better group of people to help us take care of these problems than this community.

Gabe
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Particle »
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

UnderGod

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: October 2, 2003 09:31 pm CDT »
If he knew something was going on.. He should have thought about something like this..

HL2 was supposed to be unhackable. Perfect netcode... Bugless.. The perfect game.

As I said.. THat source is worth a few hundred thousand.. And would sell quickly on ebay

Darwin

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: October 2, 2003 09:36 pm CDT »
I asked eViL to make me a compiler   :twisted:

Quote from: "UnderGod"
...As I said.. THat source is worth a few hundred thousand.. And would sell quickly on ebay...

*plays a chanting voice*

~Guess Who Has IIIIIT!~

*From Gamespot*
GS: Valve hasn't said anything about Half-Life 2's multiplayer. Is it fully developed and blossoming behind the scenes?

GN: Half-Life 2's multiplayer is something we're not talking about because we want to keep it as a surprise for our customers as we roll into our launch cycle. I play it every day. I think it's going to be very popular with the community.

^^Pwned?^^

ExplorerMan

• Goblin Pup
    • http://www.the-junkyard.net/~dragonfire/
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: October 3, 2003 12:02 am CDT »
HL2 was supposed to be unhackable. Perfect netcode... Bugless.. The perfect game...

It hasn't been compromised. So what, big deal, it will require an update of some sort to patch up some of the code. Tribes 2 had the same type of update when it first started.

Suprise, suprise, but based on the ecnonomics that will (or already have) gone on, it will be found cheaper and more cost effective to patch the problem, then to recall all production done to date. As such, yes, it is no doubt an inconvienience to all concerned parties, however, it shouldn't warrant anything quite as durastic as some would have you believe.

Speaking of the topic of piracy however... Buy this month gone pasts' PC Gamer Magazine, I picked it up 2 weeks ago, well worth the price.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by ExplorerMan »

Quote from: "General2k"
#3 dont be dumb like me..

Darwin

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: October 3, 2003 12:43 am CDT »
Quote from: "ExplorerMan"
Suprise, suprise, but based on the ecnonomics that will (or already have) gone on, it will be found cheaper and more cost effective to patch the problem, then to recall all production done to date. As such, yes, it is no doubt an inconvienience to all concerned parties, however, it shouldn't warrant anything quite as durastic as some would have you believe.

Yes, it would cost a hell of alot less.  But guess what?  Then valve would be releasing a game that will have hackers throughout the servers on the first day of release.  That would be an incredibly stupid move.  I say wait for it, and let them fix the code.  Perhaps they will get it even more polished  8)

Lidge Farkley

• Uber Menace
    • http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/psychosworld2/
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: October 3, 2003 12:47 am CDT »
hmm...

See, if I ran a dev company, the machines who were deving the real deal wouldn't even be on the same network as the main corporate machines, let alone have access to the internet.  I say they had some sloppy business security practices, but of course I am kind of paranoid about anything I would even develope in the future.

The truth is that computers are so insecure that I am not at all suprised this would happen.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Lidge Farkley »
Lend your heart unto the divine mineral TOPAZ;
from which our reverent hearts and minds sprang.
Also Known As:  Alcoholic 007
My Page of tribes Tools and Helpful "FAQ" Stuff

Jason_Xero

• Uber Menace
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: October 3, 2003 01:03 pm CDT »
The truth is that Microsoft is so insecure that I am not at all suprised this would happen.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Jason_Xero »
Gotta love SBC with their 6Mbps tier for 45$
(Yes, on their site it only shows 3Mbps, but it is actually 6Mbps, I would know :)).

LastWish

• What's Yours?
  • Uber Menace
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: October 3, 2003 02:54 pm CDT »
Quote from: "ExplorerMan"
HL2 was supposed to be unhackable. Perfect netcode... Bugless.. The perfect game...

It hasn't been compromised. So what, big deal, it will require an update of some sort to patch up some of the code. Tribes 2 had the same type of update when it first started.

Speaking of the topic of piracy however... Buy this month gone pasts' PC Gamer Magazine, I picked it up 2 weeks ago, well worth the price.

Big deal?  People made hacks without half-life's full code.. very very potent hacks that eventually ruined CS for the most part..

Now, they have the full source code for HL2..  that is like playing the lottery when you know what the winning numbers are.  Basically, it's like a grab bag for all the cheat-developers out there.  It IS a big deal..  a simple patch can't change every bit of the code that HL2 was developed on..  hackers now have a map of everything that happens in HL2, so now they can use all kinds of exploits that they would never think of without the source code.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by LastWish »

UnderGod

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: October 3, 2003 03:35 pm CDT »
The CS cheats will be out before CS =/

Silvanoshei

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: October 3, 2003 03:36 pm CDT »
The computers these coders work on should be secure; no NIC/Ethernet cards, no floppy or CD drives, and no USB ports. I don't see how this code was leaked out. Especially since different teams of coders work on different parts of the game and have no access to other teams' parts of the project. It doesn't seem plausible.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Silvanoshei »

The DoDoDo.

Your opinion is worthless unless you can support it.
We are not responsible for your stupidity.
I don't take sides. I take action.

Currently Playing:  Warcraft III [PC]