Author Topic: AMD64 + 8600XT = ?  (Read 2822 times)

NukNuk

• Gnoll Fighter
AMD64 + 8600XT = ?
« on: January 20, 2005 09:35 pm CST »
I cant seem to find the AGP drivers that the ATI card apparently needs.

Are they not released yet, or are ATI cards already supported on the AMD64 line?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by NukNuk »

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005 06:59 am CST »
Well, first of all, you can use a 32-bit driver on and AMD64 platform no problem.  Unless you are running a 64-bit version of Linux or XP, you won't be able to run it anyway.  Also, there is no 8600XT so I'll assume you made a typo for 9600XT.

Windows XP 64-Bit Radeon Drivers:
http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/winx ... ubmit.y=10

Linux 64-Bit Radeon 9600 Series Drivers:
http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/linu ... submit.y=7
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Particle »
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

NukNuk

• Gnoll Fighter
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005 08:21 am CST »
Uh, yeah.  9600.

So, does that windows driver link you posted provide the GART (whatever) drivers the card says it needs?

12Stones

• Minotaur Rager
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005 12:58 pm CST »
If you want to utilize the 64-bit capabilities, the drivers he posted are your only choice.  Although they came from ATI, they are beta, so be careful.  If you decide you are going to go with 64-bit drivers, you should check your AGP chipset vendor, or your motherboard manufacturer, to see if they support it.  If they already support it, you're fine..  you MIGHT have to download the drivers for your chipset manually since the 64-bit technology is semi-new.  Then, install the ATI drivers.  If you don't install the AGP drivers for your chipset, (assuming they aren't already installed) it will most likely give you some problems with D3D and OGL if you only install the drivers for your graphics card.

Make sure you un-install your ATI Control Panel FIRST--then install the software driver for your video card, and THEN re-install the Control Panel.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by 12Stones »

Quote from: "Aphex"
mmm so many different types of music, so little time.

|\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ASCII FAN\\\|]

NukNuk

• Gnoll Fighter
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005 02:54 pm CST »
I meant that I was trying a preliminary install.  I still have some junk nVidia thing that came with the computer.

The 8600's manual says I need GART drivers (AGP drivers for the motherboard or chipset).  Does the CATALYST suite provide those?

12Stones

• Minotaur Rager
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2005 06:14 pm CST »
You have to go to your motherboard/chipset manufacturer's site to download the GART drivers, unless your system already has them installed.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by 12Stones »

Quote from: "Aphex"
mmm so many different types of music, so little time.

|\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ASCII FAN\\\|]