Author Topic: PCRPG Source Information  (Read 13029 times)

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
PCRPG Source Information
« on: March 1, 2006 11:07 pm CST »
Please visit the moddb.com link for more information:
http://mods.moddb.com/6441/

Development title is HL2RPG.

(2014-01-24:  This project has long been abandoned.)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014 08:22 am CST by Particle »
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

ChineseNeil

• Orc Thrasher
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 2, 2006 12:24 am CST »
how's the economy gonna be based in HL2RPG?

and how are you going to handle the economy when it becomes inflated to the point where the game is unbearable to play? or in TRPG's case the economy is all NPC based so all items and such are sold by them, but that made the game so easy that everyone is super rich =X
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by ChineseNeil »

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 2, 2006 01:14 am CST »
There's going to be malarkey to buy out the ass.  Money will become a lot more like you'd expect a balanced economy to be like.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Particle »
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

ChineseNeil

• Orc Thrasher
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 2, 2006 01:24 am CST »
items should be more crafted (or at least the good items) and sold by player to player

and crafting materials should be super rare or like you'd need like 100 of this metals to make a sword

it makes the game much more challenging and addicting so it takes away your social life!!!!!

but in this case pvp stealing should be turned off in this case cuz like it's not really fair if some guy worked like 10 hours to craft this item and then some guy just steals it from him in like 1 second

anyways that's just my opinion =P
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by ChineseNeil »

sin

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: November 9, 2006 01:46 am CST »
I'll be getting my HL2 copy soon and we'll start to get this project rolling.

We first need an outline of what "core" things need to be done to have a working rpg going.  I've found that modding takes time, but if you have a solid core to start with, then it makes the modding process easier.

Once I get my copy of the game I will start my mod collection and start looking at what elements are already in place so that we dont create something that's already been done.  The next step after that will be storyline.

We need to find out if HL2 has any restrictions on number of weapons that can be put into a server (i always hated that tribes bug).
Also, will we be able to jet?  These are questions I hope to answer soon.  Here's a list of people that have helped mod my TRPG server and I'm sure they will be willing to give a helping hand on this project.

Mapping/Coding - Achromatos
Mapping/Coding - Supersalmon
Spells                -Longbow
Prefabs/models  -RJM3 (makes good models since i got him 3dstudio max)
mIRC/quests      -Surfer666

On a side note....

I found a RPG has already been created for HL2.  It's called AOA.  
http://aoa.planethalflife.gamespy.com/

The main flaw that I find in this mod is that they included guns.  This goes against everything that i find good about RPG's.  They also used what looks like modern buildings, so i dont think they put alot of work into this.  We can do alot better.  And they funny thing is that they have a fanbase for that.  Wait till we show them what a real RPG can be like.  I will be spearheading the start of this project along with Particle.  Anyone with coding ability.....this is your time to step up and join something that will be a fun project and a learning experience.  Until next time, thanks for reading all that.

**no flames plz**
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by sin »

Kyrie

• Orb Member
  • Uber Menace
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: November 9, 2006 03:04 pm CST »
I'd like to help out. I've got some decent programming experience but I'd like to expand on that. Also since winter break is coming up soon, I'll have plenty of free time.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Kyrie »

sin

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: November 9, 2006 05:16 pm CST »
Fixed my overheating issues today and purchased a new video card.  I think I'll be buying HL2 within a few days now that i know my pc's not gonna crap out on me.

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: November 9, 2006 09:20 pm CST »
It's a good game to be sure

sin

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: November 9, 2006 09:48 pm CST »
Yeah, the demo is even pretty wicked.  The zombies guys freaked me out.

Kyrie

• Orb Member
  • Uber Menace
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: November 9, 2006 10:19 pm CST »
There was a half-started attempt to recreate Tribes on the Source engine over at Annihilation.info. The main coder got as far as creating a Tribes-style jetpack before stopping.
I believe the main mapper also managed to build most of a map in proper Tribes proportions (complete with Raindance base).

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: November 9, 2006 11:22 pm CST »
Was that Plasma's idea, or was it somebody else?

I still find it funny that the whole reason Orb got into (Total) Annihilation was because of a conversation I had with Raven over MSN back in the day.

sin

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: November 9, 2006 11:30 pm CST »
They've got something called Ascension i think.  Not clear on how much they got done, but yeah...it was plasmatic's love child.

http://www.annihilation.info/index.php

Kyrie

• Orb Member
  • Uber Menace
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2006 12:05 am CST »
Ascension is different, I was helping out with models in that project. That's based on TSE. I think Plasmatic's still working on the coding for it.
Tribes:Source was the other project that sprang up at about the same time. That was started by Force.
Crotalus was their main coder and created the jetpack. I'll dig and see if I can find a video he may have posted.

Tribes:Source thread Eventually breaks down to offtopic ramblings. All the threads pertaining to the mod were moved to a private forum.

Was TA the same as Project Pheonix?
They still have all the threads for that. It was looking really awesome until the project died. Auto had some really great models designed.

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2006 12:54 am CST »
Total Annihilation wasn't even an ORB project to begin with.  It had lots of cool deployables, and for a time I fell in love with the mod.  I was talking to Raven about how cool the thing was shortly after, and he got together with the original developer of Total Annihilation.  After some time, the name was truncated to Annihilation, and the original developers were gone.  That's now Clan Orb's primary "thing".

I think people forget some times that I'm in Orb.  This is Xeo.  :)

Kyrie

• Orb Member
  • Uber Menace
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2006 02:10 am CST »
Oh right, Total Annihilation, now I remember. That was way before I played Tribes. I started about when Annihilation 2.0 came out and Annihilation NJ was one of the best servers around.
Project Pheonix was meant to be the next step for Annihilation. A standalone Annihilation game, as I understand.

People probably forget you're in Orb because you practically never post on the Orb boards; off in your own world over here  :P

Are you looking for a totally fresh RPG for this Source project? Or a sort of update to the Tribes mod with fresh new zones, weapons, classes, abilities, ect?

You mentioned removing the remort system, but it's a system that I've come to enjoy. Typical RPGs start out at a fairly brisk pace, but then slow way down as you level. It seems to take ages to go from one level to the next and aquire new skills (think, WoW). But the remort system keeps the play fresh. Your skills reset, but you're stronger. You can gain levels more quickly.
Maybe the remort system can be reworked. I had an idea for a TribesRPG where once you hit a certain remort level, you proceeded into a new time. Each remort represented one year; when you hit remort 20, instead of going through the same zones that you did at remort 1, you'd take a portal into another time, 20 years further along in the story. You'd have all the neccessary zones to fight from level 1 to 101 and you'd keep remorting in the second time period until you reached the next time interval. Each time period had its own set of weapons and armors, but those items couldn't be taken backwards in time, only forwards.
But maybe others aren't quite as loving of the remort system as I am.