Author Topic: Stereophonic Imaging =D  (Read 3968 times)

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
Stereophonic Imaging =D
« on: August 23, 2006 11:19 pm CDT »
Thanks to Garry of Garry's Mod for pointing this field out.

It's basically a way to view a set of two images as one, getting a hybrid in your mind that contains depth information.  This is an amazing thing to people who are used to a normal picture or screen shot of a game--both of which are merely a 2D representation of a three dimensional space.  Not true 3D.

Need help getting started?  Try this flash video tutorial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPRNZ6R1C3g

Once you get it, you'll know it.  If you have to ask, you didn't do it right.  It's that simple.

Try, try again.  It's worth it.  :D
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Particle »
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

KoRo

• Fat, Emo Robot
  • Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006 02:30 am CDT »
That's incredible! But if you're skilled enuf w/ your eyes, you don't need the paper to do it =P
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by KoRo »

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006 11:47 am CDT »
I don't use any assistance, but I doubt few people on here have ever tried it before.  The video's intro explains how to do it for a beginner so I don't have to.

All I do is cross my eyes, but I know what to do.
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

12Stones

• Minotaur Rager
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006 02:35 pm CDT »
That's pretty sweet..  I see what you're talking about when you say that screenshots aren't true 3-D images now.  I thought about trying it but when I watched the video all the way through, I just use the same method I do with magic eye.  You don't have to cross your eyes..  if you do the exact opposite (relax your eyes so they seperate and both eyes are looking straight forward but not fixated on one object) then you see the clear image in the middle and 2 fuzzy images on either side.

It works both ways, but if you cross your eyes for magic eye, you see inverted images.  If you relax your eyes like I described above, you'll see the images come out at you instead.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by 12Stones »

Quote from: "Aphex"
mmm so many different types of music, so little time.

|\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ASCII FAN\\\|]

villman420

• Minotaur Rager
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006 02:59 pm CDT »
i tried the crossing my eyes and saw 3 of them
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by villman420 »

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006 03:45 pm CDT »
Yes.  The one in the middle is 3D.  The two on the sides are not.

As for relaxing your eyes, that won't work with that video.  It's meant for the cross-eyed method.  The image for your left eye is on the right and the right eye frame is on the left.  It would appear mirrored if you just magic eye it.

What you are doing works for "parallel view" images, but shouldn't be done for cross eyed ones.

KoRo

• Fat, Emo Robot
  • Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006 04:10 pm CDT »
The circus-esque music in the beginning reminds me of an episode of Cowboy Bebop. The one with Mad Pierre something rather.

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2006 12:26 pm CDT »

Try not to look at the gun or HUD when viewing, as those two elements are static and not stereoscopic.  It'll bust your focus for the rest of the image and you'll have to do it again.

Cool thing about this picture is that it's hard to tell what the hell is going on in the scene until you get the depth information.

Frantic

• Elvin Legion
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2006 01:59 pm CDT »
12Stones, check PMs :O
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Frantic »

KoRo

• Fat, Emo Robot
  • Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2006 03:29 pm CDT »
I see something being built...like a bridge?

Lidge Farkley

• Uber Menace
    • http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/psychosworld2/
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2006 08:09 pm CDT »
In 9th grade I designed a Sterovision system on paper which also allowed for eye tracking capability as well  as head tracking capability, thus giving the wearer of said system a completly immersive feeling in a  VR environment.

Of course... that was back in 1994 and I had no money to develope it.

This sytem is cool.. but still behind the curve of where I think we could be today.

I also would opt for  two camera angles.. about an inch apart with in the 3-d environment.

ANyway... still pretty cool  :-)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Lidge Farkley »
Lend your heart unto the divine mineral TOPAZ;
from which our reverent hearts and minds sprang.
Also Known As:  Alcoholic 007
My Page of tribes Tools and Helpful "FAQ" Stuff

Darwin

• Centurian Lord
    • http://www.mierda54.tripod.com
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2006 08:39 pm CDT »
I guess I have a problem with my ability to focus.  I can make the center image easily with just my eyes, and can see the depth and everything, but it blurs all to hell.  I can focus for a half second at a time and get the whole picture, which is cool when it happens, but I quickly go out of focus.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Darwin »

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2006 08:59 pm CDT »
Quote from: "Lidge Farkley"
In 9th grade I designed a Sterovision system on paper which also allowed for eye tracking capability as well  as head tracking capability, thus giving the wearer of said system a completly immersive feeling in a  VR environment.

Of course... that was back in 1994 and I had no money to develope it.

This sytem is cool.. but still behind the curve of where I think we could be today.

I also would opt for  two camera angles.. about an inch apart with in the 3-d environment.

ANyway... still pretty cool  :-)

Umm...the image IS seperated.  The frames aren't identical.  It's pretty obvious.  If you can't tell, then you aren't doing it right yet.  Keep trying.