Author Topic: Messed up computer  (Read 3278 times)

xkenshinx

• Centurian Lord
Messed up computer
« on: January 21, 2003 09:12 am CST »
hmm my computer has been messed up for awhile now... lol ive been to lazy to fix it

my problem is when i try to shutdown.. my comp just goes to a dark screen and hangs there making clicking sounds

i have tried to fix it... before using different sites... but i waz hoping for some of your input as to why my comp would hang making odd clicking sounds... :P thx if u can help
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by xkenshinx »

"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire." �Roland Deschain, of Gilead

Darwin

• Centurian Lord
    • http://www.mierda54.tripod.com
Re: Messed up computer
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2003 09:31 am CST »
Your clicking noise COULD be the speaker on your internal 56k modem, if you have one.  On my old comp., when I get a streaming video using windows media player, my unused 56k modem makes a clicking noise.  Perhaps you can just ghetto fix this problem and remove the wiring from that speaker.

Also it could be the bleepy-bloopy internal speaker (you know, the one made for games that dont support sound cards).  Again, you can ghetto-fix this by just disconnecting that speaker.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Darwin »

xkenshinx

• Centurian Lord
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2003 09:35 am CST »
hmmm well i do have a 56k thats not being used but.. why would any of that cause it to hang :(

it also hangs when i try to open my documents.. as in the file folder.. also hangs and starts clicking when i try opening the windows folder

Darwin

• Centurian Lord
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2003 09:46 am CST »
Got a networking device installed?  That has hung up every home users computer that I have known that installed it themselves.

xkenshinx

• Centurian Lord
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2003 09:57 am CST »
hmmm if u count the dsl adapter as a networking device then yes... but the hanging didnt start untill kinda recently ... ive had high speed for more then a year now...

the only thing ive changed recently waz installing norton anti virus and its not like my comp started getting strange right after that...

Jason_Xero

• Uber Menace
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2003 12:49 pm CST »
That click sound is your hard drive forkin up  :-[

NEVER BUY WESTERN DIGITAL!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Jason_Xero »
Gotta love SBC with their 6Mbps tier for 45$
(Yes, on their site it only shows 3Mbps, but it is actually 6Mbps, I would know :)).

Hack-N-Slash

• Elvin Legion
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2003 01:18 pm CST »
If it is your harddrive... buy a new one and install your current os on it... make the old hd a slave and transfer all the crap it has onto your new hd before it bites the dust.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Hack-N-Slash »
[size=200]I am a fat, wealthy, capitalist pig[/size]

Darwin

• Centurian Lord
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2003 01:28 pm CST »
Heh, that cracks me up because I bought a western digital, and it came with a disk to easily migrate all data from the slave drive to the new drive. rofl

Ive barely used that drive too, I think I'll just gut that system and supplement the other systems I have.

*edit*
Oh, and Kenshin, if it helps, the newer versions of Windoze has a restore feature.  

Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools

I hope that maybe you can find a date that is close to the one right now.  It has a checkpoint for certain dates where you installed updates (etc.)

I've found it on ME and XP only, though.

xkenshinx

• Centurian Lord
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2003 02:42 pm CST »
bah i hope its not the hard drive im low on cash :P

but im betting it is... sigh

meh i need a whole new comp anyways...

Anonymous

• Goblin Pup
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2003 02:44 pm CST »
How about this, lets do a comprehensive test.  Take off the case of your computer so you can see the bones of your computer.  Turn it on and locate where the sound if coming from.  Best Buy can do pretty good repairs within a day or two.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Anonymous »

Dirk

• Undead Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2003 07:27 pm CST »
If it was  a physical problem with your HDD you would've noticed it by now in other ways more than likely...  A file "hanging" is usually caused by inefficiency with the OS.  The easiest way to solve this is to backup your necessaries and format the drive/reinstall the OS.  If it still does it after that then the problem is likely a hardware problem.  My main theory from what you've said though is that someone has planted a bomb inside your computer and it is trying to go prematurely.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Dirk »

Jason_Xero

• Uber Menace
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2003 06:17 am CST »
I've had my WD's click a bunch, then finally kick in and work to boot up.  Then when I try to copy something or another and it starts that clicking bullmalarkey again, my computer completely freezes.  I've fixed many a computers for friends, family, friends of family, and almost all of them were caused by stupid user-errors with software.  So if you know you didn't do anything wrong, then all the sudden it DOESN'T work, then it's hardware.

You just better pray that hard drive is still under warranty.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Jason_Xero »
Gotta love SBC with their 6Mbps tier for 45$
(Yes, on their site it only shows 3Mbps, but it is actually 6Mbps, I would know :)).

Zieg_Feld

• Orc Thrasher
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2003 08:44 am CST »
Maybe.. just maybe..
your computer is filled with dust, and it is reacting slow, and, and ...
That's what happened to my computer, anyway :-/
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Zieg_Feld »

Anonymous

• Goblin Pup
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2003 12:09 pm CST »
TechTV's the Screen Savers said that 75% of computer hardware problems are caused by bad computer hygene.  That is why once every two weeks I open up my (newer) desktop computer and spray it with canned air.

When I installed my 10/100 card in my old desktop (which hadnt been opened for two years) all the components were filled with dust, there were a few cobwebs, and a family of cockroaches were nesting on my ATI all in wonder 128 because it was so warm.

Also, about clicking, every xbox I've seen makes clicking, whirring noises, so why is this such a big issue for PC's?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Anonymous »

IVIaGiC

• Goblin Pup
Re:Messed up computer
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2003 11:07 am CST »
Chances are,if its clicking...its the harddrive.its not so much of a problem that you need a new one asap though.however,it is probably going to get worse and worse before it bites the dust.my old systems hard drive started by clicking...awhile later it eventually sounded like an F-15 was taking off in my room ;D.if i was you,i would get a new hard drive..transfer your OS and all other files over you want/need and walaa you should be fine.also,get some compressed air at staples or office depot and clean your "cage" out and get all the crap off of everything :P
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by IVIaGiC »