Author Topic: Forum Revitalization  (Read 9137 times)

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
Forum Revitalization
« on: January 12, 2007 12:07 am CST »
Once again I bring the subject of forum revitalizing.  It seems the post count has trickled to a level paralleled only by the initial couple days this forum ever existed.  A couple years ago, we had over a page of active threads always going and nothing has really changed on this end.  We've still got as many players as we've ever had, but the forum's post activity has declined substantially.  Any idea what might be wrong?

I know that some of you are instantly thinking "what a perfect time to pin it on his moderation nazi-ism", but please remember that I'm more lax now than I ever have been before.

We've also got as many active players on the server as ever.

Ideas and theories are welcome.

---

Is it the transitioning generation's addiction to more community driven sites like Myspace over more traditional forums perhaps?  I really can't explain it at the moment, but that seems as likely as anything.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Particle »
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

sin

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007 12:44 am CST »
I've noticed a decline on my forums as well.  I think it's just that time of year.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by sin »

Kyrie

• Orb Member
  • Uber Menace
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007 01:19 am CST »
Second semester of school is beginning for a lot of folks (myself included, graduating in just 4 months or so).

Generally, I'm not a big poster, more of a browser, but I can easily start posting links to articles that I find interesting each day. I usually encounter several a day and I'm sure some would find some of them interesting.

If you're interested in bringing in new posters, why not try starting up a new (or bringing interest back into an old) project? Then browse around the remaining Tribes forums for people who may be interested in such a project.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Kyrie »

villman420

• Minotaur Rager
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007 01:46 am CST »
most of the people who play on the server dont know about the forums

make a message in game that tells people to sign up in the forums
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by villman420 »

KoRo

• Fat, Emo Robot
  • Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007 04:35 am CST »
I still come on here even though I don't play. But I honestly don't find a lot on the forum I can relate to or talk about....usually the conversations are about drugs or alcohol, sometimes politics, but otherwise just stuff I can't relate to. That and the fact that i get flamed after just about every post I make... :roll:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by KoRo »

IceCube

• Orc Thrasher
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007 04:38 am CST »
offer free remorts for posting in the forum??!?!?!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by IceCube »
let my fingers do the walking
and that Uzi do the talking.

IceCube

• Orc Thrasher
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007 04:39 am CST »
Quote from: "KoRo"
I still come on here even though I don't play. But I honestly don't find a lot on the forum I can relate to or talk about....usually the conversations are about drugs or alcohol, sometimes politics, but otherwise just stuff I can't relate to. That and the fact that i get flamed after just about every post I make... :roll:

well i guess you shouldnt be a communist should you?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by IceCube »
let my fingers do the walking
and that Uzi do the talking.

KoRo

• Fat, Emo Robot
  • Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007 05:14 am CST »
i can totally predict the future
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by KoRo »

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007 11:33 am CST »
I don't understand how most people wouldn't know about the forum.  Ghettobot spams the URL constantly and the website's domain shows the entire time during loading.  The first time anyone plays, the news also displays which contains a line talking about the forum as well.

Perhaps a more annoying route is in order.  Back in the day though, people still managed to find it regardless.

---

Unrelated:  I had an anti-spam system half finished before my computer bricked.  I can't put it in place until my machine is back online in a couple weeks.
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

Bovidi

• Undead Hero
    • http://www.geocities.com/mygamepage101/orc
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007 12:01 pm CST »
Well I am not completely sure if you got rid of this or not but I remember back when I played in your server constantly, when I tried to join it wouldn't accept a hotmail account, I think the message was to prevent spam or something.  So I never joined, back when I played all that time.

So maybe since everything seems like it is in the age of using a gmail, or hotmail account people just can't be bothered to join the forum and post.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Bovidi »

sin

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007 03:24 pm CST »
Quote from: "villman420"
most of the people who play on the server dont know about the forums

make a message in game that tells people to sign up in the forums

The Objectives screen is a great place to put the url's to your website, forums and any other helpful sites.

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007 05:30 pm CST »
I thought I did that an eon ago.  I guess not.

Kyrie

• Orb Member
  • Uber Menace
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2007 05:51 pm CST »
Yeah, the objectives screen still links to Trancephyte  :?

I believe there are some functions in Tribes that allow you to open a specified webpage. Maybe you can include something like that in the tab menu, or something.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Kyrie »

sin

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2007 07:30 pm CST »
Isn't it deuspack that has clickable links?  It would be good to update that as well and add the links into that.  If i remember correctly, some of the links are dead in there anyway.

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2007 08:06 pm CST »
That sounds like a really cool idea.