Author Topic: Black Screen on fresh install, brand new character  (Read 2892 times)

fingolfin

• Goblin Pup
Black Screen on fresh install, brand new character
« on: October 20, 2009 04:56 pm CDT »
My friend is having issues getting into the server. He downloaded the ultimate trpg pack from the website, and everything seems to work until he tries to get in server. After it's done loading, it just goes black screen.

We played TRPG maybe like 4-5 years ago, so this is his first character in a while. Any idea how to fix this, or is there any reason for it?

I was in server, and I also saw this pop up in the chatbox in red when he was trying to join: "Pimpadelic does not have CIPSEC enabled. Authenticity unknown"

Thank you for any help you can give.

HUBBA

• Elvin Legion
Re: Black Screen on fresh install, brand new character
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009 06:58 pm CDT »
Have him download the stuff from here.
As far as  "Pimpadelic does not have CIPSEC enabled. Authenticity unknown" it is because he has not authenticated his character with Particle.

fingolfin

• Goblin Pup
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009 08:18 pm CDT »
Have him download the stuff from here.
As far as  "Pimpadelic does not have CIPSEC enabled. Authenticity unknown" it is because he has not authenticated his character with Particle.
He downloaded right off of the PCRPG site... as did I, and mine worked, his didn't. Also, I just joined right into a game without having to authenticate anything. What specifically does he need to do?

Kyrie

• Orb Member
  • Uber Menace
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009 03:01 pm CDT »
The authentication is just referring to an option where you can setup your character so that it will be locked to a specific IP. This prevents other players from accessing it (if they happen to know your password).

As far as being black screened, if his install was identicle to yours and he made no changes, then that's pretty inexplicable.
If that's the case, I would try to reinstall the game and the mod. If it still doesn't work, we'd have to figure out if it's tied to the server, or his particular install of Tribes. The server can do things that will black screen a character, but I've also seen it where it's tied to a particular install of the game.

After he reinstalls Tribes, and if it's still black screened on PCRPG, try going to a different Tribes server (non-RPG). If it's still black screened then we know it's his Tribes install. If it works fine, then we know it's the server.

fingolfin

• Goblin Pup
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009 09:02 pm CDT »
he's reinstalled 3 times and it still black screens. Tribes works normally in non-RPG servers, it seems to just be with particles

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009 04:11 pm CST »
Have him drop back to the software renderer and see what happens.
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.