Author Topic: Tribes/3dsmax/Worldcraft  (Read 2272 times)

KoRo

• Fat, Emo Robot
  • Centurian Lord
Tribes/3dsmax/Worldcraft
« on: February 7, 2010 03:44 pm CST »
I've gotten back into 3d modeling, and I'd like to start making some prefabs for PCRPG (i.e. a new Tene, Centuria, and a new zone with something akin to the Colosseum or the Parthenon), but getting started is rocky.

First off, I've read plenty of material about how to export from Worldcraft into Tribes, but how can one import models? I'm very inexperienced with Worldcraft, but I understand Tribes' limitations, so I figured that if I can model in 3dsmax7 with snaps on, then my model won't get too complicated for Worldcraft and Tribes to handle. But in order to even do that, I need to figure out how to import & export models between the three programs.

Second, before I get too far into this, I'd like Particle's honest opinion on this...If I do in fact make game-worthy prefabs, textured and everything, what would be the chances of it actually getting implemented into the game? I know it would take a lot of coding work on your end, so if you don't think you have the time, then I'll reconsider doing this. Still, I would really like to do this. It would be a great way to get back into "shape" regarding 3d modeling.

Third, scaling. I was able to get my hands on a *.max model of the base Plasma Rifle from the Tribes Tools, and when it asked me about the scale, I opted to "adjust the current scale to match that of the model". What came out was a Plasma Rifle that was a meter long. That's a very long rifle, but is the scale in tribes any different than normal? (As a common point of reference, how tall are the players in-game?)

Fourth, prefab restrictions. I noticed that the plasma rifle was made of multiple objects, but do prefabs need to be one solid object? Or will the game engine support multiple objects which can intersect, etc etc? Or can objects NOT intersect? (Better yet, is there documentation regarding the limitations of this stuff?)

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 7, 2010 04:20 pm CST by KoRo »

bungle

• Undead Hero
Re: Tribes/3dsmax/Worldcraft
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010 03:12 pm CST »
I remember someone telling me a while back that you need 3dsmax 2.5 to make malarkey for Tribes... don't quote me on that though. :P
I'll talk to rj, he knows more about this stuff.
"If you dont like it, go play kirby air ride."

KoRo

• Fat, Emo Robot
  • Centurian Lord
Re: Tribes/3dsmax/Worldcraft
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010 11:11 pm CST »
I think you're correct about that. One of the problems with that is that I have no access to 3dsmax 2.5