Author Topic: Having a moment of nostalgia.  (Read 3559 times)

DaTheif

Having a moment of nostalgia.
« on: October 19, 2014 07:30 pm CDT »
      So here I am thinking about ya'll.  I started playing this game when I was 13 years old, in 8th grade.  Because of this game, at 14 I taught myself to program (which is now my profession), I learned about the band Silverstein (To this day my favorite band, and I've spread it to so many people). I learned about drugs, trolls, and assholes all right here..

And at the same time it inspired me for the very first time in my life, to care for someone I'd never actually met. I remember hearing stories of peoples struggles with losing jobs, girlfriends and family members that they just needed to get off their chest and all I could do was listen to it and feel bad... It left me feeling helpless and at the same time increased the level of compassion that I was capable of.. The community here made such a big impact on me 10 years ago at 13... so I'd like to say thank you for that. Thanks for being a bunch of simplexs, assholes, and friends.

I'd stopped playing in 2010 when I (barely) survived a house fire and lost my PC.  But I guess I'd like to see how everyone is doing. Possibly get contact info from some of you, if anyone still lurks the forum..

I'll be checking back on this in the next few days, weeks and months to see how you're all doing.

Thanks again,

-DaThief

Vivaxx

• Gnoll Fighter
Re: Having a moment of nostalgia.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014 06:56 pm CDT »
Hey man. I started playing on this server about 13 years ago, when I was 11 years old. This server along with another server I frequented that ran TAC mod, was the first online community that I formed lasting, meaningful friendships. A few friends on this server I got to know so well, but unfortunately we've lost touch over the years. This community and game was a huge part of my childhood and adolescence, as corny as that sounds.

I believe I stopped playing regularly right around the time you started (2004?) so unfortunately I don't think we ever really played together. But it sounds like we shared a common experience. I am grateful that we have had this server for all this time. I won't forget my times here!

Good hearing from another player, I hope some more people choose to comment.

-Jonah
Jonah, PCRPG player since 2002.

KoRo

• Fat, Emo Robot
  • Centurian Lord
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014 03:15 am CDT »
Damn, things just got real. This is great, though. It's a good reminder of the fact that there are living and breathing people behind the words and the avatars. I'm genuinely glad to hear that you're all still alive and kicking.

As for me, I can barely remember anything from when I started playing. That part of my life was such a blur. I guess I was around 14 or 15, so that would have been around 2003 or 2004. I have no idea what attracted me to it. At the time, I was mostly involved with the Annihilation mod community. But as soon as I discovered RPG, everything else dropped off the map. I was busy back then...band, scouts, soccer, and track. In retrospect, I wish I had taken the time to learn how to program, because I think that would have served me better now.

I played with the likes of Daywalker and PurpleRain (not sure why I remember those names specifically).

AFAIK, others are still doing well. VorterX is kickin it up in Seattle. Corona is still alive, but he's gone quiet. Shorty is doing good for himself; getting into corporate America I think. I met Kharandhil in person in Brussels (Belgium) in 2008. THAT was a cool experience. And Darwin taught me everything I'll ever need to know about maintaining your car's appearance. Darwin, if you're reading this, I'm still driving that Camry, and I just got it painted! It looks like a brand new car now.

I discovered Death Cab for Cutey just a couple of years ago, and I'm kicking myself for not Googling 'Death Cab' when I first saw his username. I suspect I'll have the same revelation about Silverstein in the near future.

Vivaxx

• Gnoll Fighter
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014 03:02 pm CDT »
Man, I wonder what happened to Darwin. Him and pecker were my first friends on the server. Fighters guild for life!
Jonah, PCRPG player since 2002.

BusBoyBob

• Goblin Pup
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014 08:50 pm CST »
pecker is still around vivax cant get her to play the game anymore the is her husband used to be chevy on rpg