Poll

Should we clear to revitalize the server?

Yes (I would continue/start playing again)
21 (55.3%)
Yes (But I will be leaving)
2 (5.3%)
No (But I will start over and play)
6 (15.8%)
No (And I will leave if cleared)
9 (23.7%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Voting closed: January 31, 2008 04:37 pm CST

Author Topic: Dun dun dun dunnnnnn! (*whispers* Should we clear?)  (Read 34840 times)

JayJay

• Elvin Legion
(No subject)
« Reply #45 on: November 9, 2007 09:23 am CST »
Quote from: "Dyre"
The reason against a clear is pretty damn silly.  It's always the same.

"I don't want to have to actually play again.  I want to be able to AFK all my levels."

That's all I'm reading.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by JayJay »

Corona

• Elvin Legion
    • http://www.Linneberg.com
(No subject)
« Reply #46 on: November 9, 2007 12:43 pm CST »
Notice the people who stopped playing and no longer have active chars are largely the ones lobbying for a clear simply out of spite:

[10:35AM] <Tokath> [HBOT] Tokath "coddman, EVIL_INC's stats: File created 815 days ago. Last seen: 77 days ago. Posts: 2924 (81.78 KB - 3.58 posts per day). Associations: 2. Most recent post: but dont hit enter~"

[10:35AM] <Tokath> [HBOT] Tokath "coddman, Xenos's stats: File created 953 days ago. Last seen: 154 days ago. Posts: 33631 (948.95 KB - 35.28 posts per day). Associations: 1703. Most recent post: I still have all my points :p~"

[10:38AM] <Tokath> [HBOT] Tokath "coddman, JayJay's stats: File created 1015 days ago. Last seen: 235 days ago. Posts: 34882 (602.06 KB - 34.36 posts per day). Associations: 1383. Most recent post: Update Driver Driver Details and Uninstall~"

[10:40AM] <Tokath> [HBOT] Tokath "coddman, RedneckNoob's stats: File created 914 days ago. Last seen: 233 days ago. Posts: 11760 (275.79 KB - 12.86 posts per day). Associations: 528. Most recent post: lol~"

77 days ago. 154 days ago. 233 days ago. 235 days ago. People who haven't played for as long as 2-7 months are the majority in the "let's clear lol" category, and we've heard nothing from the bulk of the server's active players.

The server has 5,395 character files that HealBotAI knows about (characters who have sent GLBL messages since Sunday, November 21, 2004.) Of those,  74 characters have been active message posters on the server as recently as one week ago. We don't see the vast majority of their votes represented here because Particle has blocked registrations from the most common e-mail providers.

I believe the clear is ill-advised and will harm the server population, for reasons I've made clear here.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Corona »

Kyrie

• Orb Member
  • Uber Menace
(No subject)
« Reply #47 on: November 9, 2007 12:48 pm CST »
Can't really argue with facts like those.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Kyrie »

Corona

• Elvin Legion
(No subject)
« Reply #48 on: November 9, 2007 01:02 pm CST »
[11:06AM] <Tokath> [HBOT] Tokath "jam, Particle's stats: File created 1080 days ago. Last seen: 104 days ago. Posts: 2044 (59.83 KB - 1.89 posts per day). Associations: 212. Most recent post: lata folks~"

Even the character doing the actual clear hasn't bothered to post any messages on the server for over three months. Yes, I know he has an alternate char, but still.... try a little irony, it's good for the blood.

Corona

• Elvin Legion
(No subject)
« Reply #49 on: November 9, 2007 01:09 pm CST »
Another interesting fact: Particle's newest character, Bromide, was created 7 days ago.

So was this thread. And Particle's last server post before Bromide was on ketzerei, over a month ago.

Coincidence?

Xenos

• Elvin Legion
    • http://www.baconcat.com
(No subject)
« Reply #50 on: November 9, 2007 07:54 pm CST »
Wow 154 days ago. Time flies.

I have slightly revised my position on the clear.
Quote from: "Xenos"
Although if there won't be major new content added or gameplay won't be drastically different then it is now you shouldn't clear.  Don't take away from those who spent some much time playing if everything will just be the same.

If is going to be basically a new game it just doesn't make sense to keep the old characters.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Xenos »

KoRo

• Fat, Emo Robot
  • Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #51 on: November 9, 2007 08:42 pm CST »
I voted yes. Aside from all of the reasons posted here (most of which I agree with), it should be understood that in order for anything to survive, it must change and adapt. Aside from a few new zones, PCRPG has been the same since I first joined. I think it's time to change some things and expand. However, even if changes AREN'T made, I will still come back. If only to relieve my boredom.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by KoRo »

JayJay

• Elvin Legion
(No subject)
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2007 12:54 am CST »
The reasons why I'm not an active PCRPG player are: 1.  Honestly, it gets boring being one of highest remort players on the server.  2  It's no fun playing when 10(probably twice as many gods since I've left) Gods are AFK'ing almost all day and hogging zones.  3.  Reason for reason 2 is: I don't use AFK scripts,  I think they are the stupidest thing someone  could create.  TRPG is a GAME.  You're supposed to be PLAYING, not AFK'ING.  I think clearing the server will start everyone from ground zero, and promote actual PLAYING.  Particle, I think you should do something about the AFK scripts.  Maybe a three strike rule; anyone caught more than three times using an AFK SCRIPT should be cleared/banned. They ruin the game for everyone that doesnt use scripts.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by JayJay »

Kyrie

• Orb Member
  • Uber Menace
(No subject)
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2007 07:49 am CST »
The game will have to significantly changed before I'd agree with a no afk rule. It's just not good enough to warrant constant non-afk play. The people who don't afk will probably disagree and go on about how they made it to such and such rl without afking at all, and all I have to say is: where are you now?
The people who afk are the people who continue to play. There is almost always someone to talk to on the server, at any random point of time throughout the day, even if everyone appears to be afk. Just ask Corona, it's half the reason he sticks around.
If you start banning/clearing/punishing afk players, the mod will die.

HUBBA

• Elvin Legion
(No subject)
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2007 09:06 am CST »
I have a solution for the afkers.   #kick.  Problem solved.  The problem with that is some people go afk to mine because they can no longer level. Where do you draw the line.

I use to love it when people would go afk with luck script on. Use to crack me up when I would put up HUBBA just tried to mug you. Some of the players would get mad cause they thought tried to mug them but seen the humor of it.

My opinions on afk are clear.  I seldom ever go afk.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by HUBBA »

Kyrie

• Orb Member
  • Uber Menace
(No subject)
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2007 10:38 am CST »
[10:22] Tokath: [GLBL] Bilbo_Fraggins_ "why would we not want to keep our character?"
[10:22] Tokath: [GLBL] Rose "What do you mean?"
[10:22] Tokath: [GLBL] Bilbo_Fraggins_ "the voting question"
[10:22] Tokath: [GLBL] Bilbo_Fraggins_ "says vote whether u want to keep your character or not"
[10:23] Tokath: [GLBL] Rose "Everyone would be cleared, which means you'd be at the same level as the people"
[10:23] Tokath: [GLBL] Rose "who are gods right now."
[10:23] Tokath: [GLBL] Bilbo_Fraggins_ "well, i worked hard to get this char"
[10:23] Tokath: [GLBL] Rose "Yes."
[10:23] Tokath: [GLBL] Bilbo_Fraggins_ "sort of"
[10:23] Tokath: [GLBL] weeman "im still workin hard"
[10:24] Tokath: [GLBL] Rose "You guys should make accounts on the forum and say why you don't want the clear"
[10:24] Tokath: [GLBL] Bilbo_Fraggins_ "couldnt u just tell them rose? if u could, that'd be great"
[10:25] Tokath: [GLBL] Rose "What about you, weeman? Do you want a clear?"
[10:25] Tokath: [GLBL] weeman "hell no"
[10:25] Tokath: [GLBL] Rose "how come"
[10:26] Tokath: [GLBL] weeman "is shaniqua there??"
[10:26] Tokath: [GLBL] Rose "Shaniqua?"
[10:26] Tokath: [GLBL] weeman "HELL NO"
[10:26] Tokath: [GLBL] weeman "its a funny song"
[10:26] Tokath: [GLBL] Rose "Ah"
[10:26] Tokath: [GLBL] Rose "Well why don't you want a clear, you're only rl0"
[10:26] Tokath: [GLBL] weeman "i worked all summer 4 this char"
[10:26] Tokath: [GLBL] Rose "That's true"
[10:27] Tokath: [GLBL] Bilbo_Fraggins_ "rose, not all of us like spending time doing the same thing over and ove"

The people most affected by the clear are low RLs and high rls/levels. The midrange people are far less affected: they haven't had to work on new characters for a while so it's not so bad if they have to again, and they haven't put as much time into getting the super high leveled characters.

The low level players have just gone through the most difficult part of the game: starting out at rl0 and getting up to rl5-10 where it starts to get easier. They don't want to do that again so soon.

[10:38] Tokath: [GLBL] Rose "But don't you guys want a clear to get rid of all the gods who are using zones"
[10:38] Tokath: [GLBL] weeman ""
[10:39] Tokath: [GLBL] weeman "not rly"
[10:39] Tokath: [GLBL] Bilbo_Fraggins_ "just get rid of gods, end of problem :)"
[10:39] Tokath: [GLBL] weeman "but it would also clear us"
[10:39] Tokath: [GLBL] Rose "Well what about the people who aren't god yet, but almost aare"
[10:39] Tokath: [GLBL] Aztec "How long would it take you to get back to rl 10?"
[10:39] Tokath: [GLBL] weeman "i have a summers worth of work 2 lose"
[10:40] Tokath: [GLBL] Bilbo_Fraggins_ "got engineering work"
[10:40] Tokath: [GLBL] Aztec "psh"
[10:40] Tokath: [GLBL] Bilbo_Fraggins_ "um , i dont have time to spend ike that anymore"
[10:40]Tokath: [GLBL] weeman "i dont either"

Corona

• Elvin Legion
(No subject)
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2007 12:07 pm CST »
JayJay: You forgot the most relevant reason. Your WoW/Guild wars/whatever addiction that is. :P

I have used Tokath's news feature and he will be making everyone aware of the clear, with instructions on how to register and vote (be it yes or no). So assuming the pcrpg population isn't a bunch of lazy bastards, this thread will actually become relevant soon

*edit* BTW, the server is not full of afk'ers. PCRPG is one of the only online communities I frequent where someone can be found to chat with at nearly all hours of the day and night.

Corona

• Elvin Legion
(No subject)
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2007 12:57 pm CST »
The admins have been helping weeman and Skeleton level. These are two genuine n00bs to trpg, I know this because they got lost in hemac's tower (lulz).

It's sad to know that these players will probably just be finishing their hardest RL, 0, when they get cleared for their efforts.

Dyre

• Gnoll Fighter
(No subject)
« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2007 11:31 pm CST »
I never considered that.  I started playing TRPG about six years ago.  I've made it through the first remort at least four or five times, so getting through it again is a piece of cake.  The new players that are just finishing up their first remort haven't learned the various tricks to get though levels quickly yet.

Still, I'm all for a clear if it means seeing some real changes to the server.  While it might suck for the new guys popping up in TRPG, there are quite a few veteran players out there than might come back if they heard that a new type of RPG mod was up to play.

I'd be all for the clear, since it would mean evening out the playing field again (even if it's for a short time).  Most of the players that are gods are going to take awhile to get a few remorts under their belts anyways, since most of them (us) have other responsibilities to worry about.  I could probably remort in a day or so if I wanted to, but I do have a son, and I do work full time.  It's hard to say.

But I really don't want to alienate any of the newer players.  It's practically like kicking them before they've even learned to walk.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Dyre »
My job is done here!

*woosh*

Kyrie

• Orb Member
  • Uber Menace
(No subject)
« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2007 11:44 pm CST »
30 days. The fastest players can reach god in 30 days, and a little under. One month after clearing you're back to exactly the same problem.