Author Topic: Forum Revitalization  (Read 9158 times)

Kyrie

• Orb Member
  • Uber Menace
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2007 09:54 pm CST »
Deus pack has links, but I'm not sure if it relies on its own scripting to open the webpage or Tribes' functions. If you hardcoded with the functions in Tribes, you could make a command like #forum that would open the forum right up. That'd be pretty sweet.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Kyrie »

Bovidi

• Undead Hero
    • http://www.geocities.com/mygamepage101/orc
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2007 11:42 pm CST »
The tribes function that opens the url is HTMLOpen();

Maybe if you release a gui for the main menu that changes the link of the website button to your website.  It isn't that hard to change the link I managed to do that in my RPG_Menu gui.

Quote from: "Kyrie"
If you hardcoded with the functions in Tribes, you could make a command like #forum that would open the forum right up. That'd be pretty sweet.

Couldn't that be exploited by a server to send someone to a website unvoluntarily?  I know most major servers wouldn't do it(ie Parts and Sin's) but other servers could have the potential of doing it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Bovidi »

Kyrie

• Orb Member
  • Uber Menace
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2007 12:05 am CST »
Yes, I learned about it from someone whose computer was hacked when they were sent to a faked Microsoft Update page.

But if you provide it as an ingame option, then the person using the command (#forum) wouldn't be doing so involuntarily. It'd provide a quick and easy way for players both new and old to access the forums.

There was also HTMLOpenAndGoWin();

It's not really any different than, say, Everquest (I believe that was the game) where typing /pizza in the game opened the PizzaHut online order form. Except this would actually be useful.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Kyrie »

Xenos

• Elvin Legion
    • http://www.baconcat.com
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2007 09:59 am CST »
Quote from: "Bovidi"
The tribes function that opens the url is HTMLOpen();

Maybe if you release a gui for the main menu that changes the link of the website button to your website.  It isn't that hard to change the link I managed to do that in my RPG_Menu gui.

Quote from: "Kyrie"
If you hardcoded with the functions in Tribes, you could make a command like #forum that would open the forum right up. That'd be pretty sweet.

Couldn't that be exploited by a server to send someone to a website unvoluntarily?  I know most major servers wouldn't do it(ie Parts and Sin's) but other servers could have the potential of doing it.

Yea it could be exploited by a server only.  You should only play on servers you trust anyway.   From what I remember this wouldn't work right from the start anyway.  The server can't send random commands to the client. The client must have a remotefunctionname() for a server to use it. So either the client would have to click it from the tab menu( I think that can run local functions) or you would need the client to have a remoteHTMLOpenAndGoWin(); function because using #forum would have the server run the code.

This is the same problem sinisters server ran into when it tried to use a portal to connect players to the other server. We(longbow and I) had to make a remote function that the server could call on the client.  Tribes has the security basics right.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Xenos »

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2007 12:45 pm CST »
Quote from: "Xenos"
Tribes has the security basics right.

Now that is entertainment.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Particle »
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

LOL Internet

• Goblin Pup
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2007 09:47 pm CST »
maybe because the people who play on the server now are ****ing retarded
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by LOL Internet »

sin

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2007 12:24 am CST »
I think adding a #forum command or #website command would be pretty cool.  We've already got the infastructure to disperse any code that clients would need for it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by sin »

Paradox666

• Elvin Legion
  • The Last God
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2007 08:28 pm CST »
Quote from: "LOL Internet"
maybe because the people who play on the server now are ****ing retarded
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Paradox666 »

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2007 02:33 am CST »
That was you guys a few years ago (sin and a few others excluded).
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

Bovidi

• Undead Hero
    • http://www.geocities.com/mygamepage101/orc
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2007 01:05 pm CST »
You should only play on servers you trust anyway.
But then what about the new people who join they wouldn't know which server is trustworthy or not.

This is the same problem sinisters server ran into when it tried to use a portal to connect players to the other server. We(longbow and I) had to make a remote function that the server could call on the client.
I know all about remote functions, I use them in a new inventory thing I am making.  Although the clients needs the remote function if they have it it could be exploited.

So either the client would have to click it from the tab menu( I think that can run local functions)
The client tab menu is built off of remote functions,  they do not have any access to the clientside functions.

I seriously doubt that Tribes has the security basics right.  From what I have seen in some of the code there were a lot of vulnerabilities because of the remote functions.

I don't deny that you could add the #forum in, it is actually a good idea but the only issue is whether it will be secure or not...because I seriously wouldn't want to get websites spammed all over my screen.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Bovidi »

sin

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2007 04:50 pm CST »
The way I see it is like this.  Dont be afraid to try new things because there's nothing that can be done that can't be undone.

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2007 04:57 pm CST »
What if you multiplied every number in a database by a new random each time?  That'd be hard to undo.

LOL Internet

• Goblin Pup
(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2007 06:31 pm CST »
Quote from: "Particle"
That was you guys a few years ago (sin and a few others excluded).

yeah a few years ago it was the same (sin INCLUDED)

but a couple years before THAT it was fine
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by LOL Internet »

Xenos

• Elvin Legion
    • http://www.baconcat.com
(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2007 08:10 pm CST »
Quote from: "Bovidi"
I seriously doubt that Tribes has the security basics right.  From what I have seen in some of the code there were a lot of vulnerabilities because of the remote functions.

I don't deny that you could add the #forum in, it is actually a good idea but the only issue is whether it will be secure or not...because I seriously wouldn't want to get websites spammed all over my screen.

This is pretty basic and they do get it right.  If they did it wrong it wouldn't check if the actual remote command came from the server.  If it didn't anyone could send a remote command to another player.  I've actually seen programs with similar remote function that didn't check where the source of the remote command came from.

Thats what I ment by basic.

Why you worrying about adding this to pcrpg. Nobody is suggesting its added to the offical(non-existant) codebase.

I think the reason people don't come to the forums is because wtf would they talk about. The game is too boring to talk about on the forum except griping.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Xenos »

sin

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2007 08:34 pm CST »
I'm cool with adding it.  In fact it would save me alot of headaches from noobs who have unbound their Objectives button.