Author Topic: Ive been wondering  (Read 10078 times)

Paradox666

• Elvin Legion
  • The Last God
Ive been wondering
« on: January 21, 2007 05:37 pm CST »
Well we all know Tribes isnt the best game to come out..but you know..i was wondering

Why do most of us still play this game?

See what I was thinking is its because of the community, like the people we know and talk to that makes the game...worth it?

Like..Yall know what I'm saying, Some people have different reasons and such. But it lingers why, why do people still play tribes...why cant it die out?

I play alot of online games, trying, and often becoming the best at it, that is most people goals. But there are some out there that play the game to be playing it, and its what some of there actual friends play.

But I'm just wondering why most people still play.

Whats your reason?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Paradox666 »

bungle

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007 07:22 pm CST »
To steal all your LCK.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by bungle »
"If you dont like it, go play kirby air ride."

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007 08:19 pm CST »
This is something I've thought about before.  The best explanation I can come up with is this:

Most of the people I encounter on Tribes now days are young.  The reason for this, I imagine, is the relatively lax system requirements of Tribes.  Since young people often either share a crappy family computer or have a crappy hand-me-down, Tribes is probably one of the only games that they can play decently.  Alternatively, kids looking for a free RPG get pulled into TribesRPG since most can't either afford or convince their parents to pay a subscription for a P2P RPG.  I know a lot of people on the server throughout the years have always had really crappy system specs compared to what is mainstream at the time.  The popularity probably further increased (though any permanent change is probably with this same group instead of people on normal machines that are capable of more modern games) with the release of Tribes for free.

A second group is that of people who have played in the past.  They're either addicted to it for various reasons or keep playing because it's a personal favorite.  For the same reason that I play Quake 1 still, I imagine some play Tribes.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Particle »
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

Kyrie

• Orb Member
  • Uber Menace
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007 10:03 pm CST »
Tribes is the greatest game ever. No other game has ever come close to getting the feel or thrill of a good Tribes match.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Kyrie »

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007 11:16 pm CST »
Quote from: "Kyrie"
Tribes is the greatest game ever. No other game has ever come close to getting the feel or thrill of a good Tribes match.

I think a lot of people would disagree.
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

Sako

• Elvin Legion
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007 11:22 pm CST »
I have a computer that allow me to run the game I want.. but Tribes RPG is Tribes RPG.. its unique.. this game is crappy compared to other game that we see these days but it's a rare free first person RPG..
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007 11:23 pm CST by Sako »

Artorius

• Elvin Legion
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007 11:22 pm CST »
I find dueling in Tribes base to be highly competetive, and insanely fun, I haven't played a fps that I would consider superior.

I don't play very often anymore, but that's because of the lack of people to compete against.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Artorius »

"Death solves all problems - no man, no problem."

- Joseph Stalin

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007 11:48 pm CST »
I always found raw Tribes boring after I got over the cool new concept of player-controlled vehicles.  I was a Shifter fan since you could build stuff.

Kyrie

• Orb Member
  • Uber Menace
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007 12:25 am CST »
I've played all sorts of different games, but the only thing to came close to providing the same thrill as Tribes was World of Warcraft.
I think every gamer has that one game in their past that they will acknowledge as their greatest game ever. No matter what anyone says, it was always be their favorite game.
I'm not a big fan of Base, but even if every mod suddenly vanished, I'd play it because other games just can't capture what Tribes has.

plasma

• Orc Thrasher
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2007 12:09 am CST »
It reminds me of the fun times that I had back in the day when I played renegades.

Well that and renegades itself makes me like it even more.  Setting unstoppable D was one of the most fun challenges.

It fits and runs off a USB drive.

It is a cult game.  You've heard of cult movies and so on, well this game just happens to have a group of followers who just love it.

Free-roaming environment.  No boundries.

and lets just get down to it.  What other FPS can you ski in?  yeah its pretty awesome.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by plasma »

kharandhil

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007 10:32 am CST »
I think the afk part is great...i mean if youre strong you can afk and not die...by bots
but then you got no rules and people may want to kill you
but then u get to pay them back...
its all great the game play is great besides the crappy graphics...
the u can leave and still play is great...liek lately i just log on to mine...
I dont rly feel like playing but im building up money to have fun later
sometimes when i feel like playing i just play...

sometimes i just come to have some fun chatting...I just want to see old pals again...
in the begining its rly addictive but once u become strong it becomes kinda boring
somehow i still play and stop afking...somehow I'm still coming back ,>I gues sometimes im bored and play since i got nothing to do and just want to relax
that half afk mode is great for lazy bums like me
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by kharandhil »
Je vous encule tous!

Artorius

• Elvin Legion
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007 07:39 pm CST »
After nearly a year of not playing I joined the SKB duel server, and my first shot.. was a respectable MA, nearly brought a tear to my eye.

I couldn't get into most of the mods, they were too easy, with stupid things like one hit kill Turrets that added to the persons kill count, or one hit kill Sniper Rifles.. or that silly gun that could damage and poison someone in the Havoc mod.. or the Shotgun.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Artorius »

"Death solves all problems - no man, no problem."

- Joseph Stalin

Bovidi

• Undead Hero
    • http://www.geocities.com/mygamepage101/orc
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2007 09:18 pm CST »
Tribes has the aspect of being able to easily mod.  I don't think there have been many other games that have allowed as much freedom to customize your server as Tribes has done.  There is also the fact that basically all calculations are done on the server side, compared to a lot which are client-side, so there aren't really any ways of cheating except with things like HM.  Also who doesn't enjoy the revenge aspect of the game
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Bovidi »

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2007 09:22 pm CST »
I'll give you that much--Tribes is super-simple to modify.  I think that's also one of its biggest drawbacks, too.

Kyrie

• Orb Member
  • Uber Menace
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2007 10:26 pm CST »
Quote from: "Particle"
I'll give you that much--Tribes is super-simple to modify.  I think that's also one of its biggest drawbacks, too.

Care to elaborate? I can see where it's annoying when you release a mod, a week later 10 different versions of it pop up. But I just stay away from servers that do that, and other times their modifications aren't so bad.

One of the biggest problems that happened with Tribes: Vengeance was that they made it too hard to modify. I think if they had listened to what the modders were asking for, that game would still be alive and probably thriving. Modding is a big part of what has kept Tribes alive. The learning curve in base is so steep, mods allow for new players to have as fun a time as the vets who've been playing since Beta.