Author Topic: Good ol' Days  (Read 11831 times)

B2

• Undead Hero
Re: Good ol' Days
« Reply #30 on: July 1, 2011 12:38 am CDT »
Tokath was one of the roots of that server. I can try to get some people from other rpg's to join pcrpg.

EVIL_INC

• Elvin Legion
« Reply #31 on: July 1, 2011 09:25 am CDT »
Tokath was definitely a fun addition to the server, but quests and things along those lines should be hardcoded into the server anyways. As for the angels and demons , they sound neat allthough I don't think i've seen them before. I know a demon comes with with RPG by default which was never really used besides the time corona added them..
Check out the 40k mod. the swooping hawk looks like an angel and is a perfect representative of one for out purposes. It actually looks better than the rpg models. then, look at the storm daemon model from there (think that was its name. A big spikey looking daemon thing. I remember seeing the demon from rpg once, it was cool (was it the horned devil looking thing? I didnt get a "good" look). Using the storm deamon as well as the devil model could add in 3 "eternal factions". One for the good guys and two seperate ones for 2 seperate types of bad guy factions. Use names and attitudes of some of the old timers from the server and add in a few more npc names and you have 3 eternal factions that can champion different "mortal forces" from the regular zones. the possibilities for new zones, quests, storyline potential is endless.

Arf was right when he posted in his other thread before closing it. Talking more here can help the server become more active as well. When there are "politics", the server becomes more active as it draws people in. This is even so when it is the "emo ragers" and flamers. When those start their antics, I know it gets me to come to watch and laugh if nada else.
« Last Edit: July 1, 2011 05:04 pm CDT by EVIL_INC »
The only original member of the server still active and the staunchest supporter of the administration and Particle's rules.
4th in doghouse. Last in actual server and forum rules broken.
Quote from: HUBBA
I kinda miss Evil's lengthy post.

KoRo

• Fat, Emo Robot
  • Centurian Lord
« Reply #32 on: July 1, 2011 07:36 pm CDT »
Tokath/Ghettobot definitely made the game more enjoyable for me. I think putting a helpbot/interface like that back in the game should be near the top of the list.

funger

• Orc Thrasher
« Reply #33 on: July 1, 2011 09:43 pm CDT »
I agree, Tokath was lotzz of fun and a big help for low lvl chars.

B2

• Undead Hero
« Reply #34 on: July 2, 2011 01:21 pm CDT »
Cody needs to get off his big butt and build another Tokath!!!! lol

rjm003

• Gnoll Fighter
« Reply #35 on: July 3, 2011 02:01 am CDT »
Cody allready coded in a much more advanced version of Tokath into the crucible back when arf was hosting. It was incorporated into the server code itself so it didn't have to use crazy admin commands and such to get things done. Arf may still have the code on his machine, not sure tho. Cody is a little down on his luck at the moment also so it is going to be kind of hard to get a hold of him to get permissions or what not..

ShortStuff102

• phpBB REGISTERED
  • Undead Hero
« Reply #36 on: July 3, 2011 03:03 pm CDT »
i know kid doesnt know how to answer his phone or call a nigga back
They used to call me Shorty, now they call me herpes, i keep coming back.

Arf

• Arf The Legend
  • Undead Hero
« Reply #37 on: July 5, 2011 10:18 pm CDT »
Cody allready coded in a much more advanced version of Tokath into the crucible back when arf was hosting. It was incorporated into the server code itself so it didn't have to use crazy admin commands and such to get things done. Arf may still have the code on his machine, not sure tho. Cody is a little down on his luck at the moment also so it is going to be kind of hard to get a hold of him to get permissions or what not..

I still have the server and it is fully functional, I have offered it to Particle but he hasn't taken it yet.

I will bring it back on line for a time so that you or particle may get whatever information you need from it.

Additionally there are quite a few changes and mods to The Crucible that could be coded into PCRPG.  The new areas and maps, the new ocean, and mounts.  just to name a few

« Last Edit: July 5, 2011 10:23 pm CDT by Arf »
In Particle We Trust...

The Goal is not so important as the journey that takes you there....

rjm003

• Gnoll Fighter
« Reply #38 on: July 6, 2011 09:56 pm CDT »
Yeah corona had some pretty neat stuff on that server, including some nice code for dynamic light creation, NPC's that were actual AI, on the fly quest creation and bot spawning for quests to name a few. The hybrid backpack code is also included on that server wich allowed for an unlimited ammount of
virtual items. I've since moved to a non-hybrid system since then wich I would perfer but if people really like to have an inventory screen that can still be used. 

Bovidi

• Undead Hero
    • http://www.geocities.com/mygamepage101/orc
« Reply #39 on: July 7, 2011 03:34 pm CDT »
Couple ideas, for the update it would actually be good to move to having hudbot mandatory...since it allows for more versatility.  Also server-side it would be nice to patch in with mem.dll (while keeping the hudbot features)...that way things like sql commands can be used, or a better system to handle virtual items.

Another note, maybe someone can play around with this, but the Tribes 1.40 had the gui files as .cs files instead of the classical .gui file extension.  Although not a guarantee since the gui.cs files contain the object code it might be compatible with 1.11, with a few tweaks.  If this is the case then making custom gui's will be a breeze.

rjm003

• Gnoll Fighter
« Reply #40 on: July 7, 2011 09:38 pm CDT »
I'd rather move to 1.40 all together considering it runs so much better. And yeah the GUI's on 1.40 are scriptable from what i've seen in your RPG remake. Problem with 1.40 is moving code and graphics over to its format. Its not easy to find time for things like this..

Bovidi

• Undead Hero
    • http://www.geocities.com/mygamepage101/orc
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2011 04:04 pm CDT »
One of the issues going to 1.40 is that not a lot of people seem willing to adopt it....after all Walk and I (mainly Walk) did convert all the 1.11 RPG graphics to 1.40 and I rewrote/converted the generic RPG code over to 1.40 (with exploit fixes and your tower quest)...just no one played/hosted it.

rjm003

• Gnoll Fighter
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2011 12:56 am CDT »
I don't see any problem with running 1.40, the problem more specifically for me is I'm already so far behind on the graphics side of what needs to accomplished. I have thousands of lines of code that would need to be transfered over and that would take a ton of time. Of coarse that is even if the community wants to adopt the rewrite (system rewrite, anyways) I did for rpg. This is kind of an issue we haven't really touched on. I think that PCRPG probably shouldn't ever be changed, as its an original that's been around for so long, and its actually somewhat balanced. What I would like to see is a community project that even players can contribute to, that's run as its own separate RPG. Hopefully particle will host it due to a few factors such as hes been the longest running hoster, has the biggest community, and has some very useful tools like an auto-update which would enable endless amounts of new content with the click of a button. We definitely will need to get more organized if this is ever going to happen though. A suggestion is that we get an IRC channel up and running.

x-ta-c

• Goblin Pup
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2011 11:44 am CDT »
I agree with rJ in that we should try and organize our resources. Besides the fact that the community is very small, most of those who have stuck around this long are quite knowledgeable in this field, and are more than likely capable of doing a "last hurrah" TRPG. There are some talented people that love this game, Suggest we actually put some of this into action!

also, rJ, check your PM's

Antecedent

• Goblin Pup
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2011 11:27 pm CDT »
We definitely will need to get more organized if this is ever going to happen though. A suggestion is that we get an IRC channel up and running.

Has an IRC channel been created yet?  If not, is there any network you prefer so I can start it up myself?