Author Topic: HL2 might be rebuilt  (Read 2984 times)

LastWish

• What's Yours?
  • Uber Menace
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: October 3, 2003 03:43 pm CDT »
I'm sure that they had enough to put a wireframe of the game together on one system, to test compatibility issues and such..  I'm sure that is what got leaked (which is all that is needed to manipulate the game to your needs).
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by LastWish »

Silvanoshei

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: October 3, 2003 04:21 pm CDT »
Even so, like I said, there should have been no method to transfer the data. The computers they work on, again, have no NIC cards, USB, or floppy/CD drives.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Silvanoshei »

The DoDoDo.

Your opinion is worthless unless you can support it.
We are not responsible for your stupidity.
I don't take sides. I take action.

Currently Playing:  Warcraft III [PC]

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: October 3, 2003 06:03 pm CDT »
I don't really mean to be the annoying one, but not having Internet on the dev machines would be extremely retarded.  The solution is to have the network isolated and fed by an extremely secure server, where Internet traffic can't be directly targeted toward the machines--just the server.  Then, all the dev machines should run solid firewalls and antivirus programs.

Automatically have all net traffic logged and refuse service permissions under all circumstances.  Also, only allow like email/http/ftp access with a "virtual buffer" system in place where all data is pooled instead of being directly sent, where it can be scanned and more particulars of malicious intent filtered.

It could still be compromised, but it would be very remote.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Particle »
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

UnderGod

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: October 3, 2003 08:02 pm CDT »
Firewalls can be bypassed, and antiviruses didn't pick anything up =/
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by UnderGod »
"The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world"

Silvanoshei

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: October 3, 2003 09:01 pm CDT »
Coding a game is a lot different than coding a small project, like a mod. (Even the entirety of TRPG is small compared to games.) The game isn't tested each step of the way just to make sure it works. Certain teams of programmers are given certain portions of the product to work on, in isolation of the other teams. At very select intervals, some of the portions are put together for functionality purposes, encoded. I really can't see how the source code for most of the game could have been together at one time, unencoded. Doesn't make sense.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Silvanoshei »

The DoDoDo.

Your opinion is worthless unless you can support it.
We are not responsible for your stupidity.
I don't take sides. I take action.

Currently Playing:  Warcraft III [PC]

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: October 4, 2003 08:09 am CDT »
Quote from: "UnderGod"
Firewalls can be bypassed, and antiviruses didn't pick anything up =/

You obviously didn't read my post well, or you wouldn't have said that.  Antiviruses pick up common trojans, etc.  They aren't there to prevent access, but rather help if there has been some.

The machines would have internet but be almost completely isolated from it.  No servers could run (reporting malware:  key loggers, remotes, DDOS agents), or at least they wouldn't be useful.  It would be hard to target them in the first place.  You could have a simple app setup to detect certain types of intrusions as well.  If x event happens, disable the network card and shutdown the server.  It's not like that's a common (or looked for) type of app.  Companies focus way too much on just making the firewall more secure, instead of spending just a little time to handle what happens after one is penetrated.

The machines would be near impossible to actively target.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Particle »
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

Khorne

• Elvin Legion
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: October 6, 2003 10:23 am CDT »
This is prolly a reaaaaaaaaaallllllll strech but could it possibly have been an internal job? someone on the inside leaking it? Just guessin.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Khorne »
When two remain, so does the war, one must fall for there to be a reckoning.

UnderGod

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: October 6, 2003 04:37 pm CDT »
And risk the entire company being fired?

Doubtfull.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by UnderGod »
"The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world"

Darwin

• Centurian Lord
    • http://www.mierda54.tripod.com
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: October 6, 2003 05:47 pm CDT »
Firing the entire company would be a very bad move for them, though.  HL2 is (reportedly) one of the most anticipated games of all time, and gutting the team would lead to a very unhappy gaming market.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Darwin »

Jason_Xero

• Uber Menace
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: October 8, 2003 11:58 am CDT »
Half Life II delayed until April 2004

http://money.cnn.com/2003/10/07/technol ... tm?cnn=yes
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Jason_Xero »
Gotta love SBC with their 6Mbps tier for 45$
(Yes, on their site it only shows 3Mbps, but it is actually 6Mbps, I would know :)).