Author Topic: In the market for a MIDI Keyboard/Synthesizer  (Read 5156 times)

KoRo

• Fat, Emo Robot
  • Centurian Lord
In the market for a MIDI Keyboard/Synthesizer
« on: March 23, 2010 01:57 am CDT »
I've decided that it may be time for me to explore further this hobby of mine. Some of you may know that I'm extremely interested in the field of synthesized and commercial music production, but that I've lacked the proper tools to pursue this interest (first and foremost an adequate workstation. As it stands, I have a computer.) I guess the first question to ask would be...am I making a smart choice? That is, for someone of my extremely limited caliber and considering I've only just begun exploring the field, is purchasing a multi-hundred dollar item a good investment? If not, is there a better place to start?

With that out of the way, I'd like to ask anyone with experience in this field for suggestions on what to buy. I understand some of the basic features and differences which make some keyboards better than others for specific tasks. My interest is more towards making orchestral and realistic-sounding pieces of music. I don't want a MASSIVE keyboard; 2-3 octaves would be ideal, but again, if you have another suggestion, please enlighten me.

Other than that, I'm blind and don't know where to go. I have software which contains samples and mixing capabilities, but would I be better off with an external mixing device? It's little questions like this which I would like answered before I throw any serious money into this.

Thanks for your help.

ShortStuff102

• phpBB REGISTERED
  • Undead Hero
Re: In the market for a MIDI Keyboard/Synthesizer
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010 10:57 am CDT »
i hate people that do that synthesized music malarkey all of them are hippies...   at least in philly
They used to call me Shorty, now they call me herpes, i keep coming back.

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010 06:54 pm CDT »
I can't give you much advice in the way of which one to get, but as for if you should do it to begin with, I say yes.  It's not like you can't resell the thing if it doesn't work out.  Likewise, you cannot properly explore the potential new hobby without the proper equipment.  The same is true of virtually anything, be it playing a clarinet, working on a car, or having a pet fish.  Some tools are required to do it right.
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

ShortStuff102

• phpBB REGISTERED
  • Undead Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010 06:57 pm CDT »
i think youll be gayer josh
why dont you buy your girlfriend a razor so she can shave that malarkey off her lip

:-P

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010 07:44 pm CDT »
Be respectful or don't post.
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

ShortStuff102

• phpBB REGISTERED
  • Undead Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010 08:00 pm CDT »
hes knows im just breaking his balls

KoRo

• Fat, Emo Robot
  • Centurian Lord
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010 10:02 pm CDT »
i think youll be gayer josh
why dont you buy your girlfriend a razor so she can shave that malarkey off her lip

:-P
Because I broke up with her a month ago, lol. Anyway, I like your point of view, Part. I never really thought of it that way. Thanks!

bungle

• Undead Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010 12:06 am CDT »
Korg DS-10 if you wanna go cheap. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8sd05pQ3aw
I've done some stuff on it, it's pretty cool to just mess around with and get your feet wet.
Denkitribe is great... maybe he will help you decide. Go watch his videos. :D
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010 12:09 am CDT by bungle »
"If you dont like it, go play kirby air ride."

KoRo

• Fat, Emo Robot
  • Centurian Lord
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010 01:18 am CDT »
I should point out that I'm interested in something that's velocity-sensitive. I'm not concerned with the knobs and such; I just want a controller keyboard.

M-Audio Axiom 49 -- I saw one of these on eBay for nearly half the brand-new price: http://cgi.ebay.com/M-Audio-Axiom-49-Midi-Controller-Keyboard_W0QQitemZ230451090790QQcmdZViewItemQQptZKeyboards_MIDI?hash=item35a7f49566

Any thoughts on it? Bidding ends in a day and a half and the more reviews I read about it the more I'm considering getting it.

bungle

• Undead Hero
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010 04:09 pm CDT »
I should point out that I'm interested in something that's velocity-sensitive. I'm not concerned with the knobs and such; I just want a controller keyboard.
Well if you learn the knobs, you can make your own sounds rather than sampling them. :)

KoRo

• Fat, Emo Robot
  • Centurian Lord
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010 04:05 am CDT »
I would have thought sampling is a must if I want to create orchestral works. Having real instrument samples make it sound much more real.

Anyway, I read on another forum that what I'm looking for is a control surface; I don't need a synthesizer built into the keyboard.

bungle

• Undead Hero
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010 11:02 am CDT »
I would have thought sampling is a must if I want to create orchestral works.
eh?
k.

ShortStuff102

• phpBB REGISTERED
  • Undead Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010 01:44 pm CDT »
look at muh face hoe

bungle

• Undead Hero
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010 06:05 pm CDT »
Quote from: KoRo
My interest is more towards making orchestral and realistic-sounding pieces of music.
Whoops, I didn't see this. I probably should've read the whole thing before I said anything. sry. :(

KoRo

• Fat, Emo Robot
  • Centurian Lord
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010 07:10 pm CDT »
lol, np.

Anyway, I guess I don't really need a SYNTHESIZER, as that's what I can have my computer do. What I need is a control surface, but I don't know how much a good one is.