Author Topic: Natural-Selection  (Read 6185 times)

UnderGod

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2003 05:45 am CDT »
connection bug?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by UnderGod »
"The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world"

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2003 08:19 am CDT »
RTS's might just be your cup-o-tea, if you know what I mean.  I'm probably just wasting my time because you already know about them, but I will continue on the off chance you don't.  They're constantly changing--you have to adapt new strategies or you'll fail.  In AOE2, the maps are random each time.  It's never a stale map with premade tactics.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Particle »
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

UnderGod

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2003 10:47 am CDT »
Well there are a limited # of maps on AOE2.

I think there are like 25-50 for each type.

But still you are right. THe more random the maps the better.

NS can't be played like that though.. First of all no one would know where anything is to defend ect. Except maybe aliens, but then again.. You don't know the directions to that place.

I just don't understand how when I shoot an alien it takes 10 bullets to kill, and when a marine shoots me it takes 1-4.  And when I'm an alien it taked 4-5 bites to kill a marine, but they seem to do it in 1.

They said there is no difference in damage in hit boxes on the site.

Of course this could be because I was lagging badly.. I can't seem to find a NS server where I ping under 100.

BladeFFXI

• Gnoll Fighter
    • http://www.ultrasoundparts.net
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2003 11:50 am CDT »
i have to agree with you there man.. first off, my vid card sucked ass so i was shooting at the wall for 2-3 seconds while the little alien bastard came up and bit my legs off. i re-installed hl, and i will install ns when i get home. perhaps i'll do as evil said and learn how to use the commanders chair...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by BladeFFXI »
'Knowledge is not power, the ability to apply your knowledge is true power.'

'One must learn to see what is seen and to see through what others wish you to see.'
----------------
BladeFFXI

xkenshinx

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2003 04:54 pm CDT »
Quote from: "UnderGod"
connection bug?

theres a connection bug in cs... i doubt u ever ran into it... cause u can probably connect to a game.. but if u fail.. connecting.. for some reason.. then you can't connect to any server unless u go back to the begining screen... which on my computer is a hassle.. since i lag... like a mofo.. i can own.. in cs if im playing at a friends house.. or something.. but when i get home.. its just sad  :P but its kinda boring... ill stick too aoe2/ultima/mugen too kill time
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by xkenshinx »

"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire." �Roland Deschain, of Gilead

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2003 05:40 pm CDT »
Quote from: "UnderGod"
Well there are a limited # of maps on AOE2.

I think there are like 25-50 for each type.

But still you are right. THe more random the maps the better.

NS can't be played like that though.. First of all no one would know where anything is to defend ect. Except maybe aliens, but then again.. You don't know the directions to that place.

I just don't understand how when I shoot an alien it takes 10 bullets to kill, and when a marine shoots me it takes 1-4.  And when I'm an alien it taked 4-5 bites to kill a marine, but they seem to do it in 1.

They said there is no difference in damage in hit boxes on the site.

Of course this could be because I was lagging badly.. I can't seem to find a NS server where I ping under 100.

I noticed that myself, and I at first attributed it to other people's skill levels.  I later realized this was wrong and remembered the stuff I was reading about how the HL netcode, etc. works.  Not every shot is sent to all clients to conserve the amount of data sent.  It doesn't make sense to send 11 packets per second to each client when a person is just firing, not to mention all the other packets for other game data.  They actually do fire a lot more than you get the impression from the HL engine that they do.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Particle »
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

Darwin

• Centurian Lord
    • http://www.mierda54.tripod.com
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2003 09:18 pm CDT »
People dont get good pings in NS because many of the servers are hosted in the UK.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Darwin »

eViL

• Uber Menace
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2003 10:28 pm CDT »
bullmalarkey, i ping 35 to the Evil clan server.

oz, go try to bite someone at the beginning of a game, and make the bites to the back/chest or some other major body part.  the difference in damage and malarkey is because of upgrades, if marines have lvl 2 weapons, aliens are forked unless u have carapace.  if aliens have cara and marines have lvl 1 armor and lvl 1 guns, they are goin to get owned.  thats the point, it makes the team work together to try to defend your defense towers for alien or defend your infantry portals for marines.  the upgrades and advancements win, unless you are talented.  even if you have like lvl 3 carapace vs lvl 3 weapons and lvl 3 armor, you can still own them all, just make your shots count.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by eViL »
Quote from: "LastWish || NextWish"
eViL, you were probably the coolest but most misunderstood person in this community.. maybe the rest will find out how cool of a person you are some day, and don't get too mad at the people who dont understand you.. its their loss in the end.

UnderGod

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2003 10:30 pm CDT »
I am talking about the most basic stuff at the beginning of a match.

And I know what your talking about ken..

eViL

• Uber Menace
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2003 10:35 pm CDT »
then you just suck at alien oz, go marine instead.

if u have no aim (like crash) with skulk, don't go alien until you learn, the skulk is the best alien to be unless you can get fade or onos.  so master skulk skills, use parasite, helps you keep track of when marines move.  ambush them from a vent and just take them out as they try to relocate.  and never let them take 2 hives, stop them from moving past the first relocation.
eViL, you were probably the coolest but most misunderstood person in this community.. maybe the rest will find out how cool of a person you are some day, and don't get too mad at the people who dont understand you.. its their loss in the end.

UnderGod

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2003 10:39 pm CDT »
But what about marine?

I fire over 20 bullets into the skulls and they don't die! And that is the truth!

eViL

• Uber Menace
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2003 10:41 pm CDT »
because of carapace.

xkenshinx

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2003 11:02 pm CDT »
hmmm this sounds interesting... i might give it a shot... whats the DL size? i don't got much room on this harddrive ...  :cry:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by xkenshinx »

"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire." �Roland Deschain, of Gilead

UnderGod

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2003 11:14 pm CDT »
90mb dl

Whats carapace?

Darwin

• Centurian Lord
    • http://www.mierda54.tripod.com
(No subject)
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2003 11:17 pm CDT »
The carapace of an insect is like a protective shell.  For example, the ladybug has a carapace covereing over his/her wings.

I believe you upgrade/evolve the carapace in game.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Darwin »