Author Topic: Ozzy Needs Your Help  (Read 2845 times)

UnderGod

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2003 06:39 am CDT »
A full t1 isn't going to cover 50 computers playing counter-strike at the same time on the internet.

I sat down and did the math last night. You figure at least 100 Kbps per computer. a Full T1 only has 1.5Mbps. I would need 5 Mbps to support 50 computers, which would be a fractional t3. Around $750 a month which isn't a bad price at all.

As for the guest thing. It doesn't take long to fill up an hour of gameplay. Look at yourself Darwin. When you play HL2 for the first time, it will be an all day and all night thing. I will probably make it a half an hour instead of an hour.

With the network setup I plan on using, it wouldn't be much of a problem. I do, however, like the idea for over there.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by UnderGod »
"The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world"

Darwin

• Centurian Lord
    • http://www.mierda54.tripod.com
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2003 10:12 am CDT »
Yeah, you are probably right.  4 hours at cybernet feels like 1 hour at that place.  Make sure its a computerized member system and stuff, so that they dont repeat that first 30min/hour.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Darwin »

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2003 11:07 am CDT »
Actually, a full T1 will handle over 30 players, that's even if they are downloading and on servers not hosted by the cafe.  During the normal course of the game, it should handle 40-50 just fine.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Particle »
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

Darwin

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2003 11:52 am CDT »
Yeah, Particle is right, Ozzy.  The T1 at easily gave (only tested with 10 ppl) people pings of around 60.  Of course, the point of a LAN place is LAN, but it is nice to be able to download a new demo and play it at the place (I got tired of CS and downloaded and played the postal 2 demo while on a cybernet visit).

UnderGod

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2003 12:43 pm CDT »
What I'm saying is.. If someone would like to play on a online server instead of the lan servers, they have the option to without risk of lag.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by UnderGod »
"The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world"

Darwin

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2003 12:47 pm CDT »
The place had an online server as well, it was almost always filled at peak times, and it was the only server where I could get a ping of 25.

Lidge Farkley

• Uber Menace
    • http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/psychosworld2/
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2003 05:05 am CDT »
Your plan of action:

Calculate the following:
-price per hour to run 50 systems at peak power usage for however many hours of the day they would be on.
-price per hour to operate the rest of the building's systems for however long they would beon per day.
-desk employee wages.
-security guard wages.
-calculate how much it will cost to pay someone to clean up your machines every time they're due.

Decide how often you will alter each machine. ie;
-re-ghost all machines to a fresh image every morning/midmorning/week/2x a week.
-defragment all machines every morning/midmorning/week/2x a week.
-rotate the defrag and ghosting cycles so there are always 40 computers open for use, and 10 that are being defrag/cleaned.

These are just some getting started areas.  I'm sure you've thought of these before, but, I'd just like to reccomend that if you look to calculate a profitable experience at a decent customer price, you're going to have to consider when you're open, how much of the above will be nescessary and how often.

Some friends and I were going to do the same thing you're doing.. of course, that was back when the fastest computer was 700mhz, and it's price was over 400$ just for the cpu.  My point is, though, that you should really be positive you want to go through with it and that there is an active demand for it in the community.  Also develope promotional ideas to get kids in there instead of out on the streets (market to the parents, but be casual and not authoritative about it.)

You may not be interested in this... but a "Cult Classic" movie theare on the side which shows gamer-known favorites like the Evil Dead series may keep your gamers in your building spending their money at the food counter as they chill to watch a movie in between gaming matches.  (I know I and my brothers both take breaks every 3-4 hours to watch a movie, get some food, or just zone out.)  A movie projector can entertain many more people for a fraction of the cost that the same number of computers may entertain for the same price.  Show action movies too... gamer-geared movies.  2$ for a movie is pretty cheap, especially when it's a movie you know you'll like to see.

Anyhow, before any thing else, calculate the demand for such a thing in your area.  I'm not saying you don't already know if there is one, but it's a good idea to make sure there is before you dive in to some thing this big.  We decided that for the cost per month of services in our town, the profits would not match the expenses with out charging guests an arm and a leg, even with our orriginal Computers being half-priced through a friend's uncle.

Goodluck and Peace!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Lidge Farkley »
Lend your heart unto the divine mineral TOPAZ;
from which our reverent hearts and minds sprang.
Also Known As:  Alcoholic 007
My Page of tribes Tools and Helpful "FAQ" Stuff

BlAcK-IcE

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2003 08:11 pm CDT »
I'm in Tampa, scary. I might come visit sometime.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by BlAcK-IcE »