Author Topic: Overclocking  (Read 3743 times)

JayJay

• Elvin Legion
Re: Overclocking
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2008 11:07 pm CST »
backup your original bios onto a floppy disk, but the instructions differ for every motherboard

KoRo

• Fat, Emo Robot
  • Centurian Lord
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2008 01:36 am CST »
I have no floppy drive...I guess this means I'll have to go cannibalize my mom's computer. But is there any way to tell for sure what the problem is? I'll keep looking, but I'd like to keep a BIOS flash only as a last resort.

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2008 08:41 am CST »
Flashing your bios isn't nearly as perilous as it was once upon a time.  So long as you aren't overclocked and aren't having hardware failures effect system stability, you may as well update.
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

Xenos

• Elvin Legion
    • http://www.baconcat.com
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2008 07:05 pm CST »
Quote from: "Particle"
Flashing your bios isn't nearly as perilous as it was once upon a time.  So long as you aren't overclocked and aren't having hardware failures effect system stability, you may as well update.

The blue screen problem points to a driver or hardware problem.  But I agree that 99% of the time with newer hardware you will be fine flashing the bios.  Check the bios changelog to see if the updated version fixes anything relating to the problems you are having koro.

KoRo

• Fat, Emo Robot
  • Centurian Lord
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2008 07:22 pm CST »
Well, things have been pretty steady for now. I got the latest drivers, installed them all properly, and I've boosted the fan speed on the GPU to 100% without overclocking the GPU itself. Everything works fine EXCEPT when it gets to 60`+ Celcius. That seems to be the cutoff point for artifacting. I've only been getting the BSOD when nTune craps out on me (nTune is a program provided by nVidia for overclocking and testing hardware.) But RivaTuner works fine. No crashes or anything; I just can't adjust settings on the motherboard with RivaTuner like I can with nTune.

Anyway, this is pretty depressing, because I know with my old 7800GT (I accidentally RMA'ed it when the Motherboard was the real problem) was capable of a lot more. I'm not really sure what to do at this point; I really doubt that the BIOS is the problem, though I suppose I could try flashing it if nothing else works. Could there be any other reason behind this? Someone suggested reseating the card in the slot. I was a little taken back by that comment, because I'm pretty damn sure I know how to install a component...

Xenos

• Elvin Legion
    • http://www.baconcat.com
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2008 08:33 pm CST »
It does sound dumb but re-seating components can work.  I always thought it was stupid until it fixed the problem.  I was just like  :?

I am thinking that because you get artifacting when it gets hot that the hardware is probably bad/crap.  It should never get hot enough to cause problems unless you have airflow problems in your case or the card was not designed that well.

KoRo

• Fat, Emo Robot
  • Centurian Lord
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2008 08:48 pm CST »
Airflow is good (2 intake fans in front, 1 in side, 1 outtake on top, giant outtake fans in PSU), and eVGA has a very good reputation, but some cards just are better than others; luck of the draw I suppose.

I'll try reseating it, and if that doesn't work, I'll try RMA'ing it (again).

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2008 08:49 pm CST »
It could just be a weak card.

--

If your video card has a hardware problem preventing stable 3D, that will not effect your flash.  I wouldn't worry about it.

--

Most of the changes that matter in a BIOS revision are not listed in the changelog.  Update regardless of if they mention anything about your problem.
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.