Author Topic: For all you rich folks  (Read 4553 times)

JayJay

• Elvin Legion
For all you rich folks
« on: November 15, 2006 11:33 pm CST »
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by JayJay »

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006 12:06 am CST »
And for all of that you wouldn't get anything more than a machine costing half of that would give you in useful performance.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Particle »
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

Xenos

• Elvin Legion
    • http://www.baconcat.com
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006 02:20 pm CST »
I always thought fancy soundcards are overrated.  Really how much does someone need to hear sounds from a game?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Xenos »

Kyrie

• Orb Member
  • Uber Menace
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006 03:47 pm CST »
I bought myself a decent sound card and some nice 5.1 speakers. Speakers ended up on the TV and I now use $10 speakers from Walmart.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Kyrie »

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006 03:48 pm CST »
I guess my main gripes are the following:
1) Gimmick soundcard--nothing over $100 is really worth it
2) SLI is for chumps.  Synthetic (3DMark) perf boosts a lot while games may only see 30-50%.  Also, SLI setups may stay fast longer, but the cards' feature sets become antiquated rather quickly.
3) 4GB is dancing on the edge of retarded for most people, gamers included
4) A gaming system will likely come with like a 2ms panel, which will be TN+.  Their color and viewing angle sucks compared to like an 8ms IPS or P-MVA.
5) That case is waaaay over-used
6) A generic "beast" power supply trusted with all of that equipment is simply dumb
7) Why the fork does a $6K system have a 19" display?  I would expect no less than a 24" widescreen for that much money.
8) A quad core CPU for gaming is also quite un-needed.  It will not help in games, which currently struggle to thread out enough for even two processors / cores to help much.  Quake IV is currently the most multi-threaded game, gaining up to 80% from a second core.  Display drivers are currently not multi-threaded, either.

Things that aren't totally dumb:
1) Good pick on storage, if those raptors are going to be mirrored for the boot drive.  If they set you up with a RAID-0, shoot them in the face for being morons.
2) Water cooling is a good pick these days, since complete kits require little experience to put together and use.  A mid-level water cooling kit can easily match the best in air cooling.
3) Don't trust a quad core to overclock like you would a single.  You'll only be able to go as high as your "weakest" core.  Shoot for 3.2GHz and you may not be disappointed when it hits that or higher.

Money would be much more wisely spent on:
1) E6700
2) 2GB Corsair XMS
3) Wait a couple weeks for an RD600 based board
4) Single 8800GTX
5) 2 x 74GB raptors in RAID-1
6) 1 x 750GB Seagate 7200.10
7) 24" widescreen LCD
8) PCP&C 750W PSU
9) Case of your choice
10) Logitech G5/G7 (wired/wireless)
11) Keyboard of choice
12) Turtle Beach Montego (sound)
13) speakers or headset...whatever
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

Noalear

• Zomg Hatr3d
  • Undead Hero
    • http://rt.pcrpg.org
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: December 3, 2006 07:49 pm CST »
As for the sound, a lot of people say theres no difference, but there is a lot of difference. It all sounds different, not better or worse really.. theres just a preference. I could tell a major difference when i went from my onboard sound to my extigy which is total crap, but both of them sounded better at some things, then others were worse. Music sounded better on the onoard, but when it came to gaming the extigy added a lot of missing detail. Of course everything changes with your speaker quality and all that stuff... but thats my 2c.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Noalear »
Almost as hated as Koro.

Xenos

• Elvin Legion
    • http://www.baconcat.com
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: December 3, 2006 07:58 pm CST »
Since Noalear brought this back from the dead I just have to say quad core wtf?   Anything more than 2 cores is overkill. It does not help in games at all.  You can build a whole computer for the price of just the quad core alone.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Xenos »

Darwin

• Centurian Lord
    • http://www.mierda54.tripod.com
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: December 3, 2006 08:03 pm CST »
His choice in a PS was quite good, actually.  PC Power and Cooling have quite a good rep.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Darwin »

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: December 4, 2006 11:51 am CST »
There is no reason to buy any soundcard over $100, especially just because it is a "gamer" soundcard.

Unless you're going to skimp on the speakers or use headphones, there's no reason to use anything but digital output.