Author Topic: Impression of Windows Vista RC2  (Read 5053 times)

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
Impression of Windows Vista RC2
« on: October 23, 2006 01:16 am CDT »
After using Vista x64 RC2 for a few weeks solid now, I've come to know it rather well.  Overall, I'm fairly impressed.  For example, I'm enjoying the built-in packet writing support for optical media.  What that means is that you can quickly "format" a CD or DVD (R and RW both) with a compatible filesystem (UDF in this case) and write to it like you would any other removable media.  This is something XP needed before it launched.  Gone are the days where you need Nero just to write some files to a disc.  I also like the new interface.  It's smooth and polished.  It really just feels like you're flowing with the OS more.  On that note, a lot of common options and tools have been changed, but they are still easily found.  Overall, good stuff.

There are some things, however, that I don't like.

1)  Memory usage.  At any given time, Vista is using about 1.5GB of system memory just for itself.  While some of this is just cache that will be sacrificed when a userspace app needs more RAM (like a game), much of it is not.  This seems kind of excessive.

2)  DirectX 9.0 backwards compatibility.  This still needs some work.  When combined with insufficient RAM outlined by #1, objects start disappearing in games.  I saw this happen in both Battlefield 2142 and Counter-Strike: Source.  Some of the larger maps in CS triggered this.  Frequently, this happened in Battlefield.  I am guessing it is a timeout issue that is exceeded by paging operations to get the desired textures, etc, when out of physical memory.  DirectX windows used by video playing apps based on DX9 force Vista to use "Aero Basic" while the program is running.  Essentially, the 3D interface for Vista is disabled and the 2D one used during this time.  It's annoying and from my understanding not necessary.  Perhaps this will be addressed before launch.

3)  Account priveleges.  While good by its intentions, the current status of this feature is rather sad.  If it just asked one time before granting administrative access to your machine for a program, that would be OK.  However, a typical installer will throw about three warnings that you have to provide feedback on before the installer will even launch.  This is quite annoying.

4)  Signed driver requirement.  I do see the benefit of requiring signed drivers, but until driver support improves this is a real hassle.  Many people have to use XP64 drivers for some of their hardware, me included.  This always makes Vista throw a fit, and you must use the "Disable signed driver requirement" boot option every time you load Windows.  There really should be a way to permanently disable this requirement (at least prior to Vista's launch).

5)  Poor 3D driver support.  This is ATI's and nVidia's fault, not Microsoft's.  OpenGL support for ATI hardware is nowhere to be found at the moment.  nVidia recently released a new driver for RC2 that adds OpenGL, but ATI is still stuck on their RC1 driver.  No Doom for you, apparently.

Overall, I'd rate Windows Vista Release Candidate 2 at 6.5/10.  It's showing good promise, but there's still a way to go yet.  I'm a little shocked by the current state of Vista, considering this is a second release candidate.  Many of the small bugs (incomplete dialogs, etc) should have been taken care of in the beta stage.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Particle »
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

slorge_gridlock

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006 08:40 am CDT »
I'm sorry, I don't do impressions.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by slorge_gridlock »

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006 09:45 am CDT »
I was hoping to get some more serious comments about this.  Perhaps if I move the thread to General Discussion and post some images people will care more.
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

Soda*

• Goblin Pup
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006 06:40 pm CDT »
Hmmm, interesting, Particle.

I'm not the most astute when it comes to computer know-how, but it sounds like the problems you're having with Vista seem very stupid. I agree that many of the problems you addressed should've been taken care of in the beta stages.

I'm still using Windows XP myself (Yes, yes... noobish I know...) but it treats me decently. The only beef I have is with my boot-time scans with my anti-virus software. When I do this, my keyboard doesn't work, but it's probably more of a hardware issue than a software issue.

Hope this satisfies your cravings for serious comments. :P

(P.S. Sorry if I messed up any of the linguistics of the computer-talk, but as I said, I'm not very smart when it comes to computers...)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Soda* »

ChineseNeil

• Orc Thrasher
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006 11:07 pm CDT »
i'm a visual person

image me please!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by ChineseNeil »

ChineseNeil

• Orc Thrasher
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006 10:43 pm CDT »
where are my pictures?!??!?!

i herd we take a hit about 10%-15% in performance if we use vista
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by ChineseNeil »

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006 02:45 am CDT »
I haven't noticed such a performance decrease.  Overall, the desktop seems MUCH more responsive and snappy.  I suspect a lot of that has to do with the fact that I have four gigabytes of system memory and Vista caches as much as possible--keeping stuff in memory that you might want to use.  It's been a really positive experience.  After upgrading, I didn't even bother installing XP.  My 3DMark06 scores in XP and Vista were virtually identical, too.  I'm not sure what about it would be ten to fifteen percent slower.

Here's an image of my Vista RC2 desktop (click for full sized, lossless version):

KoRo

• Fat, Emo Robot
  • Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2006 02:57 am CDT »
Is the new Taskbar black? Or is that just a custom setting of yours?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by KoRo »

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2006 03:40 am CDT »
That's pretty close to default.  Mine is a little brighter, but that's all.

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006 03:46 am CDT »
Here's the alt-tab replacement:

Xenos

• Elvin Legion
    • http://www.baconcat.com
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2006 06:54 am CDT »
Reminds me of a riced out linux desktop.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Xenos »

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2006 03:23 pm CDT »
You know, I've used a lot of Linux machines in my time and have even made a few myself.  That being said--Linux sucks in comparison.  In my opinion, it's inferior in every significant way to a typical desktop user like myself.  It's quite an insult to Vista to compare it to Linux with AIGLX or just a normal desktop with a gadgets-esque add on.  I've used both for long amounts of time.  There really is no just comparison between the two.

Is the eye candy in Vista just for sales appeal?  I don't think so.  This is the current state of the industry, and to develop a product to lower design goals would be to under-develop the product.  Foolish would that be!  You can disable the fancy stuff and use the boring two dimensional style you seem to love so well if you so desire.  Either way, you win.  I do suspect that people who can't run Vista well will complain a lot about it instead of just upgrading to hardware that is less than five years old.

Xenos

• Elvin Legion
    • http://www.baconcat.com
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2006 04:27 pm CDT »
I thought the desklet/gadgets were cool when I first started using linux but I grew tired of them. If I am looking at them I don't have any apps on my desktop which means I'm not really using my computer.  I won't hop on the linux train here because this is a thread about vista.  I will try out vista when it's RTM.

In my opinion, it's inferior in every significant way to a typical desktop user like myself.

I'm not sure a programmer can be counted as a typical desktop user.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Xenos »