Author Topic: Parasitic Nostalgia  (Read 6294 times)

Dyre

• Gnoll Fighter
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2007 08:03 pm CDT »
I remember when I first got into Quake CTF.  Cursing all the time because everyone seemed to have ungodly aim.  I coulda sworn they were cheating.  I never got to be all that great with the game, but I didn't really have much opportunity to play it.

I think it was UT where I really got into online FPS's.  I ended up getting to be pretty insane with shock rifles, sniper rifles, and the servers with the ESR.  Sometimes I still feel like UT was better than UT2k3/4.

I also remember having to learn to deal with the high pings with dial-up.  At the time it was all just part of the game.  Now we don't even bother when we get a ping of 200 on an FPS.  Heck, we'll whine about anything over 120 nowadays.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Dyre »
My job is done here!

*woosh*

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2007 08:33 pm CDT »
When I first got DSL, I'd play anywhere up to 200.  Then, my limit was 150.  Recently, I've changed to 100ms.  It isn't that we need such small pings, but when everyone else has them it's more or less required.

Some of my favorite CS servers from the last couple years had about a 30ms link between it and myself.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Particle »
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

Corona

• Elvin Legion
    • http://www.Linneberg.com
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2007 10:07 pm CDT »
I remember the first time I got nuked, and even the map I was on....lol.
"i'll make your computer crash"
"lol"
"no really, i will"
"let's see you do it then"
WTF!!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Corona »

KoRo

• Fat, Emo Robot
  • Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2007 11:58 pm CDT »
I didn't start playing online until...I think Command & Conquer, with that Westwood Online program or whatever it was called. It never worked, so I never really got to play a game. Then it was on to Tribes, and that was really when I started playing online. I remember having the demo and thinking Scarabrae was the best map ever. Then a couple years I started to get a feel for what mods did what, and that's when I stuck with Annihilation and Annihilation Builder. I remember { SOF } Ozzy and Hollywood and Force. Force was a god among the Anni community.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by KoRo »

Dyre

• Gnoll Fighter
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2007 12:13 am CDT »
Quote from: "Corona"
I remember the first time I got nuked, and even the map I was on....lol.
Crashoverride - "i'll make your computer crash"
Corona - "lol"
Crashoverride - "no really, i will"
Corona - "let's see you do it then"
WTF!!!

:roll:

Didn't have a computer back in the Win 95 era personally.  I missed out on all that good stuff.  I probably would have been one of those asshats though.  Thirteen year old pissant.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Dyre »
My job is done here!

*woosh*

Lidge Farkley

• Uber Menace
    • http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/psychosworld2/
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2007 04:12 am CDT »
I keep waiting for the respawn so I can do the fun stuff over again (and do it better!), but then I remember that this is real life.

Holy malarkey dude.. same thing has been happening to me the past few months.. but in real life quite a bit.

Every time I go gaming, it's the same feeling these days.. usually.. like there was a fun time when we did stuff because it was rare and fun.  Now it feels like it is a less boring way to fill in the gaps.

I don't even care about computer hardware, care little for software, dislike most games, dislike the hacking even more.  Games are more like war these days, in stead of fun.. and every time I find a fun game the hackers don't know about yet, some one brings the hackers in on it and that is the end of fun in that game.. no more goofyness or intense battles... just head shot and insta-gib sadness.

But, respawn is a while yet... so we gotta go with what we have!

Have you looked at the Unreal Engine?
Open source communities?
Those places can be a place for friends and friend finding.

Of course, I tend to enjoy just meeting random people in real life, on the street, at schools, etc, and talking with them.  Helping those who seem to need some one to talk with.. even if they aren't sad, just idea sharing with out the "omg noobs" of the internets.

I guess you could attribute my absence and "goodbye" note from over a year a go to this group of feelings.

I'll always enjoy this place and the times we all shared here. :-)

Peace Particle!
(until next visit)
-Lidge/Alcoholic007
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Lidge Farkley »
Lend your heart unto the divine mineral TOPAZ;
from which our reverent hearts and minds sprang.
Also Known As:  Alcoholic 007
My Page of tribes Tools and Helpful "FAQ" Stuff

Lidge Farkley

• Uber Menace
    • http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/psychosworld2/
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2007 04:16 am CDT »
I just read the wikipedia page about winnuke. It's completely wrong on about every point it makes about the thing. *shakes fist* This is why I hate wikipedia.

I completely agree.  Wikipedia seems to be written, in large part, by people who read old notes and guessed about most of the data.. yech!  There is plenty of mis/dis-information on that place.. enough to make it non-credible for the credible stuff.
*also shakes fist*
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Lidge Farkley »
Lend your heart unto the divine mineral TOPAZ;
from which our reverent hearts and minds sprang.
Also Known As:  Alcoholic 007
My Page of tribes Tools and Helpful "FAQ" Stuff

Corona

• Elvin Legion
    • http://www.Linneberg.com
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2007 09:21 am CDT »
Quote from: "Dyre"
Didn't have a computer back in the Win 95 era personally.  I missed out on all that good stuff.  I probably would have been one of those asshats though.  Thirteen year old pissant.

It didn't end there. LCCIGMP allowed you to essentially do the same thing to unpatched windows 98 computers at will. I got a laugh out of that at my computer lab once, ran a batch file to crash every computer in the room except the one I was on.... everyone looked at me like wtf? >_>
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Corona »

Celtic16

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2007 01:20 pm CDT »
My problem is not missing the good time, but not realise when the good times are right now. Lookin back on high school i miss learning everything i know about tribes, but thats only a very small part of my life. Times move on, things are getting better for me, even though i'm in a very confusing time of my life right now.. My advice is to live for the moment, don't try to emulate the old days and do what you enjoy right now, get out there, have fun, make money and...well...women;) as many as you can get ;)

there's my post for the quarter!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Celtic16 »

JayJay

• Elvin Legion
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2007 11:46 pm CDT »
Quote from: "Corona"
I miss playing nappy mod on Tribes for 8 hours.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by JayJay »

Xanth

• Minotaur Rager
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2007 09:44 am CDT »
Quote from: "EVIL_INC"
My first online game was Tribes back in the spring of 99. My second semester at college. That was also the semester I started learning how to operate a computer. lol, before then, I did not even know how to turn one on.
That was when I got my name EVIL INC. Yes, I was one of those jerks who would set assassin turrets up in midfield and near opponant's spawns on ultra servers before there was a range limit on setting them in the mod.  :P
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Xanth »

Currently playing BF2
(Name: Xanth-911 ) BooYa!!