Author Topic: New computer, first time building  (Read 23570 times)

DeinGesicht

• Gnoll Fighter
New computer, first time building
« on: August 3, 2006 06:34 pm CDT »
I'm wanting to build a computer for this next semester of school and it's my first time building a PC. It will also be used as a gaming platform, so no integrated graphics crap.

What I'm looking at is:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.40 GHZ, 4 MB L2 cache); uses Socket 775 (is this the same as LGA 775?)
I'm looking at buying it from TigerDirect.com; CPU alone is $359.99; to keep the warranty, the fan and heat sink must also be from TigerDirect.com.

Fan + heat sink (from TD, as stated above)

RAM: I was thinking dual-channel DDR2 of some sort; more than 1 GB is best.

GPU: Something able to run TES IV: Oblivion at or above Xbox 360 quality; must also run TES III: Morrowind (GotY edition, specifically).

Mobo: Socket 775 (LGA 775 or whatever); supports RAID, preferably; please recommend other features and expansion slots.

Case: Obviously, something to accommodate the parts and wattage, and with room for expansion. Should also be good for airflow/cooling. Also, I'm thinking aluminum. Finally, should have two or so front USB ports and a headphone jack (?).

Monitor: 19" digital LCD. Not widescreen... I'm not spending that much on a monitor!

HDD: SATA 160-250 GB; if two of them (if financially feasible), would like to use RAID 1.

Optical media drive: Will take recommendations, but a DVD-RW drive looks good.

Keyboard/mouse: Don't need a fancy keyboard, but would like some bells and whistles. For the mouse, a gaming mouse is ideal, but I may have to go with a normal laser mouse. Recommendations?

Sound: Decent speakers, maybe headphones for quiet hours at night. Recommendations welcome. As for the card, I was thinking going the integrated path. What think you?

I'll be using this computer mainly for word processing, web browsing, gaming, and programming/other computer science software. I'm not an extreme gamer, but I would like games like Oblivion to look nice. Just remember, I don't know my stuff, so if I ask, you don't need to slap your forehead. Oh, and if I missed mentioning something, please make me aware of that. Thanks.

[Edit: I'm not looking to overclock, and I would like this system to run Vista (though I realize it won't run everything Vista has; I'll upgrade... maybe next year, when I have more money).]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by DeinGesicht »
Co-founder of Floppy Disk Stabbers and Hard Drive Shooters Anonymous (FDSHDSA)

slorge_gridlock

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: August 3, 2006 06:58 pm CDT »
I would suggest that the case be made entirely out of cheddar cheese.  And use a trackball, because you don't want a mouse close to the cheese.

Don't overlook the quality of the "Magic Smoke" that will go into this system. I suggest "Blue #8".  You can go with a grey or a yellow, but blue just seems to be more "magic-o-licious" especially if housed within a yellow-orange cheddar cheese case.

If at all possible, include an ashtray/drink holder and a cigarette lighter available here at Thinkgeek.com. Also available  there is the Nano iKitty for keeping the mice away (iPod nano required)

I hope this helps, though I've only been working on computers since 1981, so what do I know.

~Srorge
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by slorge_gridlock »

DeinGesicht

• Gnoll Fighter
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 3, 2006 07:04 pm CDT »
Well, gridlock, I don't think you're quite hitting your mark, with regard to what markets I'm interested in.

But, uh, thanks anyway.

Oh, and I like blue, too, but case color is secondary to everything else.

slorge_gridlock

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: August 3, 2006 07:14 pm CDT »
Quote from: "DeinGesicht"
Oh, and I like blue, too, but case color is secondary to everything else.

a blue case???!!!??!?!!!?!!?seven?!?????

That's crazy talk.

DeinGesicht

• Gnoll Fighter
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: August 3, 2006 07:16 pm CDT »
Strange... I never knew people put sevens in their exclamations. The key's too far away.

Anyway, is there anything you'd like to contribute to the subject?

Corona

• Elvin Legion
    • http://www.Linneberg.com
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: August 3, 2006 07:19 pm CDT »
Quote from: "slorge_gridlock"
I would suggest that the case be made entirely out of cheddar cheese.  And use a trackball, because you don't want a mouse close to the cheese.

Don't overlook the quality of the "Magic Smoke" that will go into this system. I suggest "Blue #8".  You can go with a grey or a yellow, but blue just seems to be more "magic-o-licious" especially if housed within a yellow-orange cheddar cheese case.

If at all possible, include an ashtray/drink holder and a cigarette lighter available here at Thinkgeek.com. Also available  there is the Nano iKitty for keeping the mice away (iPod nano required)

I hope this helps, though I've only been working on computers since 1981, so what do I know.

~Srorge

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Corona »

Darwin

• Centurian Lord
    • http://www.mierda54.tripod.com
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: August 3, 2006 07:21 pm CDT »
Do not buy from tigerdirect.  Google for "tigerdirect scam" and such on google, and you'll know why.  Their RMA service sucks.  Buy from Newegg instead.

Heres my monitor recommendation:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6824001230
A samsung 19" LCD.  It has great resolution, 2ms response time (very fast for an LCD, better for games), and great contrast ratio.

I bought it about a week and a half ago and have been thrilled with its performance.

Speakers
Logitech X-530 5.1 System.  Picked it up at Best Buy for $80, a great deal.  Just make sure you hook them up correctly and run a surround test to make sure it works right.  It requires you to plug in all three cables to the line in, line out, and mic ports in order to get full surround.

Mouse
Logitech MX 510 no question.  Theres also the MX 515 which is a little more of an upgrade.  It's not expensive, but it is very, VERY accurate.  We are talking 40 inches per second accurate.  That means I can twitch out all I want in CS and never end up looking at the ground or the sky.
« Last Edit: August 3, 2006 07:25 pm CDT by Darwin »

DeinGesicht

• Gnoll Fighter
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: August 3, 2006 07:21 pm CDT »
Good one. And, about the cats... the iKitty thing was hilarious!

Darwin

• Centurian Lord
    • http://www.mierda54.tripod.com
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: August 3, 2006 07:28 pm CDT »
Oh, and about the Core 2 Duo.  Instead of buying the top of the line (paying more), buy a lower end version that is much cheaper, then overclock it.  It is VERY EASY to learn how to overclock if you don't have any experience.  Also, overclocking the Core 2 Duo is very safe because they do not produce a lot of heat.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Darwin »

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: August 3, 2006 07:30 pm CDT »
You picked a really good processor.  They aren't available in most stores yet, but should be soon.  That E6600 will be much faster than the Athlon 64 I had last year.  Socket 775 is the same as LGA 775 like you suspected.  Socket 775 is a Land Grid Array based socket, which is where LGA 775 comes from.  It's also known as Socket T.

HSF:  Doesn't much matter since you don't plan to overclock.  If you are getting the retail version of the E6600, it'll come with an Intel-approved heatsink and fan.

As for memory, it wouldn't hurt to spring for 2GB.  Vista is going to be a real resource hog and some games can eat up a gigabyte by themselves.  Any real image or video work will also eat up a lot of memory.  Some high performance Corsair memory would provide good reliability and fast timings.  Newegg happens to be running a special on it right now, actually:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820145590 for $220 (take $40 off that if you send in a rebate, too).

Graphics performance is the expensive part.  You'll do well to get either an nVidia GeForce 7900GT or 7900GTX, depending on how deep your pockets are.  Both of these cards are PCI-E, which isn't a big deal since almost any motherboard you buy will support PCI-E these days.  I had to do some fancy research just to get my hands on that AGP X800XTPE last fall.  The 7900GTs run about $270 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814127218) or you can get a 7900GTX for about $450 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814130037).  Either one should be very fast and suit your needs.  Don't buy into the SLI/Crossfire crap floating around on the Internet.  One card is plenty.  The performance difference in real world game performance between a single card and an SLI setup is often under 40% higher.  Additionally, by the time a single high-end card gets slow enough to consider an upgrade, there will be features you'll want not available on older generation hardware (such as DirectX 10 support).  Having two cards just wastes money.

As for your motherboard, you'll definately want something with an Intel 965 chipset.  The older 975 based boards sometimes say they support the new Core 2 Duo processors, but it's more of a hack job than anything.  For best performance and reliability, the 965 is desirable since it was made specifically for the Core 2 Duo processors from the beginning.  A good ASUS board might do the trick at about $160 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131030).

For your monitor, I'd really prefer to see you go with a 20.1" LCD instead.  Most 19" LCDs run 1280x1024, which is not a true 4:3 resolution (1280x960 is instead).  However, a lot of 20.1" LCDs run 1600x1200, which is a true 4:3.  If you prefer a 19" due to money reasons, however, I'd suggest one of Dell's panels.  Try to get an 8ms panel.  Panels that claim to be faster than that are almost always TN based panels which cannot reproduce color as well as other technologies.  They also have a poor viewing angle.  MVA based panels that employ overdrive technologies commonly are marketed as 8ms.  IPS panels are also good and fall under 8-12ms.  Try not to get a 16ms or slower panel.  If you want more specific advise, let me know.  Expect to pay about $200-250 for a good 19" LCD or $450-500 for a good 20.1" LCD.

Hard drives are an easy suggestion.  :)  If you want a wireless mouse, get a G7.  If you want a wired mouse, I'd suggest a G5.  Try to stay away from the MX1000--it's got a power saving lag that's hell for games.  (The newer 1000s don't have this problem quite so bad).

I wouldn't trust onboard sound if you want something that sounds good and lasts long.  Turtle Beach makes some good midrange cards with excellent sound.  For example, the Montego ($67) is a really high quality card that supports all the major 3D sound technologies such as EAX and OpenAL.  http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDe ... ode=361102  It's probably overkill, but if you can afford it I'd suggest this model.  They do have cheaper ones though.

<edit>
This thread had no replies when I started my reply.  Heh.

Also, don't expect much in the way of good computer advice off of this forum.  (Sorry folks, but a lot of people here don't know malarkey about computers.  You know who you are.  The Internet isn't a big dump truck, nor is it a series of tubes...)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Particle »
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

slorge_gridlock

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: August 3, 2006 07:37 pm CDT »
I once built a Beowulf Cluster using nothing but 20 of these...

and powered by a series of these...

That's were I learned my lesson about mixing platforms.

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: August 3, 2006 07:38 pm CDT »
You had to flash to Gerbil version 2.8de (german bios release) for them to work properly with those units.
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

slorge_gridlock

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: August 3, 2006 07:41 pm CDT »
Quote from: "Particle"
You had to flash to Gerbil version 2.8de (german bios release) for them to work properly with those units.

WOOHOO! I'm back in business!!!!

He really DOES know what he's talking about!!!!!!fourteen!!!!!

<EDIT>
I still can't house it near my Gouda PU-II Webserver.  I never really did trust that power supply.  I will, in the future, upgrade to Guinea Pigs, since they are vegetarian.
« Last Edit: August 3, 2006 07:49 pm CDT by slorge_gridlock »

DeinGesicht

• Gnoll Fighter
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: August 3, 2006 07:42 pm CDT »
Quote from: "Darwin"
Do not buy from tigerdirect.  Google for "tigerdirect scam" and such on google, and you'll know why.  Their RMA service sucks.  Buy from Newegg instead.

Thanks for the TigerDirect info. And I know all too well that people love Newegg. The problem is that, if I'm to get an E6600, I can't get one from there yet. They don't have anything above the E6400, I believe, which is not only slower, but has half the L2 cache memory.

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: August 3, 2006 07:49 pm CDT »
Hope you didn't miss my long-ass post there.  I just read your email, too.  Don't want a boat, eh?  You'll be as happy to know that I'm building an even larger leviathan case out of aluminum channel as I was when I read in your email that you're giving a round house kick to the face of your Crapple.

Let me know if need any more assistance.