Author Topic: New computer, first time building  (Read 23578 times)

Darwin

• Centurian Lord
    • http://www.mierda54.tripod.com
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: August 3, 2006 07:52 pm CDT »
You do have a point there about the processor's L2 cache.

But I really urge you to wait until Newegg recieves/sells the core 2 duo processors.  If your processor is recieved damaged/DOA (dead on arrival), I wouldn't count on Tigerdirect to... care.  That said as well, I wouldn't want to support a business that has such a reputation, even if the product you recieve ends up in good shape.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Darwin »

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: August 3, 2006 07:55 pm CDT »
With a product as rare as the Core 2 Duos, I wouldn't chance getting it from any non-major retailer.  It would likely be a scam.  You can check most online retailers at http://www.resellerratings.com to see if they are worth going through.  Try to stick to companies about 7 or higher.  8.5+ is preferable.  Also make sure their RMA score is decent.  If they aren't listed on resellerratings, I wouldn't trust them (too new or a scam house usually).
« Last Edit: August 3, 2006 07:56 pm CDT by Particle »
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

slorge_gridlock

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: August 3, 2006 07:55 pm CDT »
Quote from: "Particle"
Hope you didn't miss my long-ass post there. I just read your email, too. Don't want a boat, eh? You'll be as happy to know that I'm building an even larger leviathan case out of aluminum channel as I was when I read in your email that you're giving a round house kick to the face of your Crapple.

Let me know if need any more assistance.

What I got from it is that the internet is a series of tubes running through a dump truck.  Which is what I learned in computer college, anyway, so zero news to me.
« Last Edit: August 3, 2006 08:00 pm CDT by slorge_gridlock »

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: August 3, 2006 07:57 pm CDT »
You and Darwin usually have good input when it comes to computers.  Many others on this forum though think they're hot malarkey but are totally clueless.  Your sense of humor is great, too :)

As for the extra cache, it's nice if you can afford it but not extremely important for what he's going to be doing.  He won't be doing any really heavy video and image work.  It won't do hardly anything for word processing and web browsing (etc), either.  It will provide a small boost to games, but it really comes down to this:  is it worth the extra money for what he'll generally be doing?  I doubt it.  Will it help though?  Yes, a little.  Even the normal Core 2 Duos have a megabyte of L2 for each core, which is substantial already.
« Last Edit: August 3, 2006 08:00 pm CDT by Particle »
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

Darwin

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: August 3, 2006 07:57 pm CDT »
It makes me horny.

DeinGesicht

• Gnoll Fighter
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: August 3, 2006 08:12 pm CDT »
Quote from: "Particle"
You picked a really good processor.  They aren't available in most stores yet, but should be soon.  That E6600 will be much faster than the Athlon 64 I had last year.

How soon should it be in stores? I'd like to get my rig built before the 21st, if possible. Heck, that might be a pipe dream, anyway, since I haven't sold my laptop yet. I'm expecting around $1000 for that.

HSF:  Doesn't much matter since you don't plan to overclock.  If you are getting the retail version of the E6600, it'll come with an Intel-approved heatsink and fan.

I take it that that will be sufficient, then, for my purposes. I'm not planning on doing anything strenuous besides gaming. Oh, and Darwin, this is for you: I'm repeating myself here, but every Core 2 Duo below the E6600 only has a 2 MB L2 cache.

As for memory, it wouldn't hurt to spring for 2GB.  Vista is going to be a real resource hog and some games can eat up a gigabyte by themselves.  Any real image or video work will also eat up a lot of memory.  Some high performance Corsair memory would provide good reliability and fast timings.  Newegg happens to be running a special on it right now, actually:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820145590 for $220 (take $40 off that if you send in a rebate, too).

Thanks a bunch!

Graphics performance is the expensive part.  You'll do well to get either an nVidia GeForce 7900GT or 7900GTX, depending on how deep your pockets are.  Both of these cards are PCI-E, which isn't a big deal since almost any motherboard you buy will support PCI-E these days.

... which is primarily for the graphics card, correct?

I had to do some fancy research just to get my hands on that AGP X800XTPE last fall.  The 7900GTs run about $270 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814127218) or you can get a 7900GTX for about $450 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814130037).  Either one should be very fast and suit your needs.

Well, I'm not about to spend upwards of $300 on a graphics card. If, with that said, the 7900GT is the best I can find, then I'm in! As long as the game looks good. Remember, I've been doing Morrowind on Xbox and don't mind the graphics. Of course, I need to raise my expectations a bit.

Don't buy into the SLI/Crossfire crap floating around on the Internet.  One card is plenty.  The performance difference in real world game performance between a single card and an SLI setup is often under 40% higher.  Additionally, by the time a single high-end card gets slow enough to consider an upgrade, there will be features you'll want not available on older generation hardware (such as DirectX 10 support).  Having two cards just wastes money.

Oh, ho, ho, don't I know it! SLI and Crossfire sounded overboard from the beginning! I won't even buy a top of the line card... what makes the card companies think I'll go for two?!

As for your motherboard, you'll definately want something with an Intel 965 chipset.  The older 975 based boards sometimes say they support the new Core 2 Duo processors, but it's more of a hack job than anything.  For best performance and reliability, the 965 is desirable since it was made specifically for the Core 2 Duo processors from the beginning.  A good ASUS board might do the trick at about $160 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131030).

Hm, that's interesting. All I've been seeing on Newegg (granted, I might be filtering the searches poorly) have been 775s. Are you sure you mean 965 and not 765? Just checking.

For your monitor, I'd really prefer to see you go with a 20.1" LCD instead.  Most 19" LCDs run 1280x1024, which is not a true 4:3 resolution (1280x960 is instead).  However, a lot of 20.1" LCDs run 1600x1200, which is a true 4:3.  If you prefer a 19" due to money reasons, however, I'd suggest one of Dell's panels.  Try to get an 8ms panel.  Panels that claim to be faster than that are almost always TN based panels which cannot reproduce color as well as other technologies.  They also have a poor viewing angle.  MVA based panels that employ overdrive technologies commonly are marketed as 8ms.  IPS panels are also good and fall under 8-12ms.  Try not to get a 16ms or slower panel.  If you want more specific advise, let me know.  Expect to pay about $200-250 for a good 19" LCD or $450-500 for a good 20.1" LCD.

I'll talk about my expected/preferred budget below, but thanks for the info on the 4:3 res.

Hard drives are an easy suggestion.  :)  If you want a wireless mouse, get a G7.  If you want a wired mouse, I'd suggest a G5.  Try to stay away from the MX1000--it's got a power saving lag that's hell for games.  (The newer 1000s don't have this problem quite so bad).

Surprised that there are "quite a few" key layouts. I wasn't aware of that.
And I was thinking USB for both the mouse and KB. Wired mouse, please.

I wouldn't trust onboard sound if you want something that sounds good and lasts long.  Turtle Beach makes some good midrange cards with excellent sound.  For example, the Montego ($67) is a really high quality card that supports all the major 3D sound technologies such as EAX and OpenAL.  http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDe ... ode=361102  It's probably overkill, but if you can afford it I'd suggest this model.  They do have cheaper ones though.

Haven't checked the links yet but thanks for recommending a cheap (I think) sound solution.

<edit>
This thread had no replies when I started my reply.  Heh.

Also, don't expect much in the way of good computer advice off of this forum.  (Sorry folks, but a lot of people here don't know malarkeye about computers.  You know who you are.  The Internet isn't a big dump truck, nor is it a series of tubes...)

Actually, I just joined to talk with you about it. I wasn't expecting anything major from other posters (no offense to the rest of you... you know more than I do, I hope).

[Edit: Oops, forgot the budget junk. $2000 seems like a good figure, give or take some. I still don't know what I'll have to work with, though. Maybe I'll do some calculatin' this weekend. It depends on when my school gets my financial aid information correct.]
« Last Edit: August 3, 2006 08:18 pm CDT by DeinGesicht »
Co-founder of Floppy Disk Stabbers and Hard Drive Shooters Anonymous (FDSHDSA)

slorge_gridlock

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: August 3, 2006 08:18 pm CDT »
Quote from: "DeinGesicht"
(no offense to the rest of you... you know more than I do, I hope).

My head is full of olive oil, styrofoam pellets, and banjo music.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by slorge_gridlock »

DeinGesicht

• Gnoll Fighter
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: August 3, 2006 08:19 pm CDT »
Quote from: "slorge_gridlock"
Quote from: "DeinGesicht"
(no offense to the rest of you... you know more than I do, I hope).

My head is full of olive oil, styrofoam pellets, and banjo music.

Angry beavers, cheese, and console gaming. You've got me beat.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by DeinGesicht »

Darwin

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: August 3, 2006 08:25 pm CDT »
Buy a quality power supply.  I bought an Antec power supply (modular as well) and it has been an awesome investment.  It is super silent, and I expect it will stay silent for many years.  Also, very very efficient.  

After owning a cheap power supply, I know how important a quality power supply is.

As for when buying your motherboard:  even if you dont feel like going with SLI now, get an sli motherboard anyway.  When the prices go down, and your single card solution doesnt seem to keep up with the games at the time, then the option of buying a second card will sound really good.

DeinGesicht

• Gnoll Fighter
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: August 3, 2006 08:33 pm CDT »
$2000 is the target. Don't waste me money, ye scurvy dogs!

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: August 3, 2006 08:58 pm CDT »
Quote from: "Darwin"
As for when buying your motherboard:  even if you dont feel like going with SLI now, get an sli motherboard anyway.  When the prices go down, and your single card solution doesnt seem to keep up with the games at the time, then the option of buying a second card will sound really good.

I take back what I said about you.  Heh.  Two things:  SLI is overkill, expensive, and a bad price/perf choice any way you slice it.  Also, Intel chipsets are by far the most stable.  They don't currently offer SLI.

I'd keep away from Antec.  They've had some reliability issues.  In fact, I know two totally different models manufactured almost a year apart to fail within two weeks of each other.  They were both 550W TruPower models (supposedly Antec's good line).  The newest 550 was only a few months old.  SeaSonic is a MUCH better PSU company.  I suggest a 500W PSU because of two things:  your processor and video card.  You will not be stressing a 500W power supply really, but that's a good thing.  I wouldn't tell anybody to buy anything smaller these days.  It will also carry you into the future.

When I was talking about the Intel 965, I was referring to a chipset (not the socket).  Both the 975 and 965 chipsets are LGA 775.  A GeForce 7900GT is significantly faster than my X800 is.  It played Morrowind without any trouble and does Oblivion fairly well.  Oblivion is a very demanding game, and I played it with higher settings than I should.  Typically, I prefer eyecandy over frame rate (I can live on 25-30).  Heck, back in my Quake 1 days I played with 10-15 fps.  :)  This card will do what you want.

For hard drives, $80 is considered cheap.  You could get the 160GB versions for about $15 cheaper (each), but I think you know where I'm going with this.  You get a LOT less for the money.  These drives are also specifically designed for RAIDs, which is another reason to get them.

Most keyboards are QWERTY, but there is more than one layout for keys.  Some have _| shaped enter keys, some have -- shaped, some have double wide backspace keys (and place the = key on a lower row), some have block arrow keys, some are missing keys above the arrow keys, etc.  There are many layouts.  And yes, a USB keyboard and mouse is a good thing.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Particle »

Darwin

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: August 3, 2006 09:25 pm CDT »
Sli is overkill if you spend $500-600 on the setup.  Especially all at once.  But say you buy a 7900GT.  You have it for, say 2-3 years.  By now, the GeForce9999extremeedition has become mainstream, and your 7900GT no longer holds the weight it once had.  Hey man, at this time, you can pick up the same 7900GT you bought a few years ago for around, lets say, $120.  Getting those 40% extra fps in Duke Nukem Forever might sound like a pretty sane idea, then, wouldnt it?

DeinGesicht

• Gnoll Fighter
(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: August 3, 2006 09:42 pm CDT »
Well, Particle, here's what I've compiled so far from YOU (I haven't checked out the stuff Darwin mentioned yet.) that sounds good.

$50+ non-Antec 500W PSU (SPI, PC Power & Cooling, or SeaSonic)
Intel 965 mobo
GeForce 7900GT
2 250GB Western Digital RE SATA HDDs (what is "RE"?)
USB QWERTY KB
USB Logitech G5 laser mouse (gaming?)
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400
2 GB Corsair RAM
20.1" 8 ms LCD monitor
ND-3550A burner/reader
Turtle Beach Montego sound card

I'll see where this would put me financially. I'll edit the post when that's done.
Not saying these'll be what I get, though. ;)

DeinGesicht

• Gnoll Fighter
(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: August 3, 2006 09:54 pm CDT »
So, does anyone know where to find a Core 2 Duo besides at TigerDirect.com? That's the only place I see'em! Drat!

Anyway, I'll do the prices later. Time for some Morrowind.

Darwin

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #29 on: August 3, 2006 10:03 pm CDT »
Monarch computer, a company that seems to be endorsed greatly by [H]ardOCP, is selling bundles.  Mobo + processor.

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant ... IL=TH&NR=1

Plus, you get GRAW, a free tshirt, an Intel toy, and a "mystery gift"!  And shipping is only like $12.  Buy from Monarch, I have a friend who bought his components for his latest pc from here, he loves their service.