Author Topic: XP format  (Read 2465 times)

Vorter_X_

• Centurian Lord
XP format
« on: April 13, 2003 10:46 pm CDT »
anyone know how? plz respond thx
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Vorter_X_ »

Dirk

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2003 12:29 am CDT »
Booting from the windows CD is the easiest way.  Or if you are talking about formatting a HDD that isn't your boot drive without installing windows just open up Computer Management in your Administrative tools (win2k later OS) and go to Disk Management.  Next time be more specific though, are you wanting to know how to format in windows XP or how to format something for windows XP?  A hard drive or floppy?  I assumed hard drive because floppies don't have a lot to do anymore in home computer use.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Dirk »

Vorter_X_

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2003 07:32 pm CDT »
:?:  ::confused::

xkenshinx

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2003 08:20 pm CDT »
helping the disabled is a tough task  :roll:

spam roxors your soxors
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by xkenshinx »

"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire." �Roland Deschain, of Gilead

Darwin

• Centurian Lord
    • http://www.mierda54.tripod.com
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2003 08:30 pm CDT »
I have done this about 3-4 times in the past 2 weeks.

Ok, make sure you are completely ready to do this.  You will lose EVERYTHING!!!

Turn off the comp.

Pop in the CD.  

**(if it just boots into XP, something has gone wrong.  You would need to enable it to boot into CD rom from the bios, which is simple.  I will go into it if I need to).**

It will boot from the CD normally, and you will get a frighteningly blue screen announcing windoze XP installation.  Its mmkay.  Dont be afraid of the blue.

You want to format the entire hard drive.  Its simple to do, as it tells you what keys to press in order to do so.  You can either do a quick format or a complete format.  I chose the FAT file system, since that is what I always use.  I also always do quick format, since i dont see much difference.

Ok, after it has formatted it will restart your comp.

Windows XP installer will appear, and just go along with it, and in no time you will be up and running.

XP normally has all your needed drivers, especially if you are using an OEM cd (such as what comes with DELL or gateway).  If not, get em on the net.

There, now dont you feel better?  It wasnt so scary!

REMEMBER:  NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER USE AN OEM CD ON A DIFFERENT COMP UNLESS IT IS THE SAME BRAND WITH ALL THE SAME HARDWARE!  I just made that mistake on my gateway.  I used a dell OEM cd.  Now im gonna have to reinstall it ever 25-29 days until I get my hands on a fresh copy of XP/2000/XPcorporate.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Darwin »

Darwin

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2003 08:35 pm CDT »
Quote from: "Dirk"
Booting from the windows CD is the easiest way.  Or if you are talking about formatting a HDD that isn't your boot drive without installing windows just open up Computer Management in your Administrative tools (win2k later OS) and go to Disk Management.  Next time be more specific though, are you wanting to know how to format in windows XP or how to format something for windows XP?  A hard drive or floppy?  I assumed hard drive because floppies don't have a lot to do anymore in home computer use.

Dirk you even confused me.  Please speak as if you were talking to a 6-year old, and you'd be better understood.

Vorter_X_

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2003 09:29 pm CDT »
lol it wasnt for me was for a friend... id never format this POS until i get a pile of cd's

Dirk

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2003 10:11 pm CDT »
I didn't realize that I'd have to be speaking to a 6 year old...  And if you were that confused vorter you could've started out with more information.  Which hard drive was being formatted, were you wanting to format it TO run windows XP or were you wanting to know to format a non boot drive from WITHIN windows XP?  The easiest way for those two things are completly different.  And Darwin, if his computer was too old to boot from a CD, then the method would also be drastically different.  I realize I used a lot of runons in my last post, even some half complete thoughts, but I felt almost as confused by what you were asking.  How to format with windows XP is too open ended of a question to get a simple quick answer for.

Darwin

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2003 10:45 pm CDT »
Quote from: "Dirk"
if his computer was too old to boot from a CD...

My laptop I got for xmas would not boot from the CD when I first got it.  I had to configure it in the bios so I could run knoppix.

Dirk

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2003 11:33 pm CDT »
Most newer systems will boot from CD, sometimes you have to flash the bios and sometimes you can just run a patch on it.  But a lot of older systems will flat out not do it no matter what you do to them.

Fusor

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2003 11:40 pm CDT »
:evil:  My laptop's cd-rw/dvd combo drive is busted for some reason, and the repair people want me to format my computer before they'll fix it... except I can't burn my stuff to cds :(
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Fusor »

Darwin

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2003 08:24 am CDT »
Tell those repair people that they are morons.  Instead, just send them the drive.  Let them format their own disk and repair it inside their system.   :twisted: Fight back from the oppresion of the repair man!

Fusor

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2003 04:46 pm CDT »
its still under warranty though, and I think taking apart my laptop will void that  :?

Darwin

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2003 05:45 pm CDT »
Uhh, normally on CD/DVD/CD-R drives for laptops, they slide right out when u unlock them.

A peice of my DVD rom drive broke off when I slid it out to show my dad, and I just sent it into Dell and got a new one, free since it was still under warranty.

Fusor

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2003 08:48 pm CDT »
Yeah... on my old Thinkpad I could lift the cover and take out the drives, but the case on the Toshiba Satellites are secured with many screws  :?