Author Topic: Rules regarding being AFK.  (Read 9565 times)

Taurik

• I'll have a Tribes 1
  • Elvin Legion
    • http://www.Linneberg.com
Rules regarding being AFK.
« on: December 2, 2003 04:09 pm CST »
Hello,

I was just wondering, what are the exact rules about being AFK in the PCRPG server? I know the rules page states:

AFK Training.  You are allowed to AFK train to an extent, but be aware that you are fair game (without penalty) to anybody that wants to do anything to you.  Everything goes if you are AFK training.

However, it's a little vague. To what extent, exactly?

The reason I ask is that a friend of mine (db) was jailed for 24 hours, due to his being AFK at the time. However, I have observed dozens of other people being AFK - sometimes for several hours - and no action at all was taken against them. Apparently there are allowed ways to be AFK, and prohibited ways to be AFK. I'd very much like to avoid doing the latter. ;)

Any help and/or more specific information about the AFK rule would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Taurik »

-eViL-

• Minotaur Rager
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: December 2, 2003 04:19 pm CST »
AFK = A FREE KILL.  anything goes, your problem.  if your friend was afk, its his fault.  the extent to afk is about 10 seconds.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by -eViL- »
There's nothing ever wrong but nothing's ever right
Such a cruel contradiction

Taurik

• I'll have a Tribes 1
  • Elvin Legion
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: December 2, 2003 04:27 pm CST »
-eViL- > Yes, but it wasn't a kill; it was jail time.

The really funny part is that - since he only serves time towards his 24 hour sentence while he's in the server - he would actually have to be AFK for many, many hours in order to serve his time for being AFK in the first place.

Funny.

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: December 2, 2003 05:30 pm CST »
I don't know who would have jailed you for being AFK, *looks at UG* but please keep in mind that while AFK, no rules short of the hacking/exploit rules apply to you at that point.  AFK training to an extent means that if it annoys me that you've been training while AFK then I reserve the right to do whatever.  Basically, AFK train all you want--just don't let it become a problem.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Particle »
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

Taurik

• I'll have a Tribes 1
  • Elvin Legion
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: December 2, 2003 06:05 pm CST »
Particle - Ah, so jailing an AFKer is an acceptable thing to do? Thanks for the clarification...

It was Xanth btw. lol

UnderGod

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: December 3, 2003 05:37 am CST »
If it was me, he would have found himself in the well.

I don't like Jail.

Oh, and I "wouldn't" do something like that anyway.. That is Unless they were afk leveling.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by UnderGod »
"The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world"

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: December 3, 2003 07:01 am CST »
heh

Acceptable?  If your being AFK wasn't in some way hurting the server or the non-AFK players, you shouldn't have been jailed.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Particle »
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

Taurik

• I'll have a Tribes 1
  • Elvin Legion
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: December 3, 2003 03:58 pm CST »
It was actually db who got jailed, I'm just speaking on his behalf because registering on forums is against his religion. lol

In Xanth's own words, "I was tired of him being AFK for hours."

Taurik

• I'll have a Tribes 1
  • Elvin Legion
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: December 4, 2003 10:08 am CST »
Sigh. It happened again... this time he jailed us both, me apparently for "9999 seconds". He also transported a Cent into the cell and of course it killed me. That I don't really have a problem with, I don't care who kills me or how...

It's just more than a little annoying now that I cannot talk globally or cast any spells.  :evil:

UnderGod

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: December 4, 2003 09:44 pm CST »
Xanth: FYI db is afk traning again/still
Xanth: 10 hrs

10 hours streight and you are complaining?

Go take your case elsewhere.

Taurik

• I'll have a Tribes 1
  • Elvin Legion
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: December 5, 2003 05:50 am CST »
UG - I have, in a way. I've altered the AFK script so that it will disconnect me from the server if Xanth connects. I can have my AFK-ness when he's not around, and when he is around, he doesn't have to sit there fuming about AFKers. I'll give db the updated version too.

Wow, something actually got solved :)

UnderGod

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: December 5, 2003 07:24 am CST »
No.. How about you don't afk train for more than 2 hour at a time.

-eViL-

• Minotaur Rager
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: December 5, 2003 02:11 pm CST »
hey taurin, if you want to afk, go find some stupid single player game to play.  its also not exactly "cool" to be shouting that you have a new afk script, you are just plain lucky particle doesn't just ban your ass for saying you plan to break the rules many and many of times from now on.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by -eViL- »
There's nothing ever wrong but nothing's ever right
Such a cruel contradiction

Silvanoshei

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: December 5, 2003 02:53 pm CST »
Nothing got solved. Just because Xanth can kick you and your fellow players cannot does not give you the right to soak up meaningless packets in PCRPG. If you're AFK for a reason, fine. Don't just turn on Tribes and walk away, idiot.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Silvanoshei »

The DoDoDo.

Your opinion is worthless unless you can support it.
We are not responsible for your stupidity.
I don't take sides. I take action.

Currently Playing:  Warcraft III [PC]

Taurik

• I'll have a Tribes 1
  • Elvin Legion
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: December 5, 2003 03:18 pm CST »
UG - I don't recall asking for your suggestion, but my reply is this: If I knew whether or not I would be gone for more than 2 "hour" at a time,  none of this would be an issue. The fact is, unless I'm AFK doing something quick (like feeding the cat, or answering moronic forum suggestions) then I have absolutely no idea how long it's going to take. Sorry. It could be 2 minutes....... it could be 5 hours; such is life.

eViL - I never said I planned to break the rules. Being AFK, in itself, is perfectly fine!!.... as long as you are not interfering with other players in your AFK state. Since, if I know I'm going to leave the comp, I usually find a nice out-of-the-way spot... NOT in anyone's way... it CANNOT be said that I am "interfering" with ANYONE. kthx.

Silvanoshei - Thanks for the well thought out comments. In reality, I only go afk for long periods of time AT NIGHT, when a maximum of 6 people are on the server. I am hardly preventing anyone from playing. And if you're so concerned about the average 3 kB/sec of bandwidth a typical player uses, it begs the question: Why are you running a server in the first place? It's like owning a pet when you can't afford a vet when he gets ill. Besides, last I heard, Particle's l33t server has no monthly upload/download limits, so this whole thing is moot...