Author Topic: Resume  (Read 4994 times)

UnderGod

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: May 6, 2004 10:34 pm CDT »
*sigh*

This really doesn't mean much though. Experience is everything in this field, and something I lack to get a really good job.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by UnderGod »
"The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world"

Lidge Farkley

• Uber Menace
    • http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/psychosworld2/
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: May 6, 2004 11:32 pm CDT »
That's what I am allways telling people!

I know more than most people about computers, I can figure stuff out with out too much trouble, but nobody will hire me because I have no official experience... I have just repaired my own friends and family computers for the last 12 years.  *sigh*
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Lidge Farkley »
Lend your heart unto the divine mineral TOPAZ;
from which our reverent hearts and minds sprang.
Also Known As:  Alcoholic 007
My Page of tribes Tools and Helpful "FAQ" Stuff

Hollywood

• Orb Member
  • Elvin Legion
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: May 6, 2004 11:46 pm CDT »
Quote from: "WolfTones"
1. Thats the 1st time i used ebay. I'm still going to make my money on the posting, i'm not that stupid.

2. Where i come from ignorant means RUDE and pushy.

Anyway, i'm not here to flame, DON'T push me to far though!

Trust me!

Does too have a different spelling as well?

And to Ug, I know what you mean about that.  Unfortunately, employers look for a person that has PROVEN they can do the job, rather than give it to somebody with perfectly legit credentials.  Less risk that it won't work out well for them.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Hollywood »

Xanth

• Minotaur Rager
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: May 7, 2004 11:33 am CDT »
The resume looks acceptable UnderGod.  You will have to embellish on your certifications a bit.  
Experience is where you are lacking (Real world I mean).  I have 7+ years VBA/VB/Office Developer experience and I am still having a hard time finding someone to call me "Qualified".
I suggest you make a "CD" resume.  You know one of those little CD's that are only 2" across?  Fill it with your BEST applications or configurations.  Show them what you can do and what you have done.  Get as MANY references as you can.  (good ones I mean)  That will help you the most.  If you can have a Potential employer call one of your professional references and they tell them that you are what they are looking for, that will help your chances.
Personally I think that you should move up here by me and I will get you on with Tongas when I get there.  Yes, its Alaska but at $35/hr to start, what the heck eh?
Peace
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Xanth »

Currently playing BF2
(Name: Xanth-911 ) BooYa!!

UnderGod

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: May 7, 2004 11:44 am CDT »
lol

Thanks Xanth, but I'm alergic to negative temperatures =)

Not to mention the long periods of darkness and light.

No way I could get used to that.

Thanks for the advice though.

WolfTones

• Centurian Lord
    • http://www.imafaggot!.com
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: May 7, 2004 02:50 pm CDT »
Funny thing is, i have 2 years of experence of working as a computer technican, but no qualifications. I gave it all up to move to canada.  I worked in 2 different computer shops.  My brother had a job in an ALL GIRLS school making good money ( and getting phone numbers ) lol i turned that job down cause i didn't thing my girlfriend would be too imprepssed lol
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by WolfTones »
Lookieme!  I am a no-talent ass clown!

Xanth

• Minotaur Rager
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: May 7, 2004 03:54 pm CDT »
Well UnderGod, the weather in Ketchikan is not too different from here.  About 5-10 degrees colder than here.  Rainfall is different though.  Seattle = 37" (Inches)/ year , Kechikan = 15'(FEET) / year.
DOH
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Xanth »

Currently playing BF2
(Name: Xanth-911 ) BooYa!!

UnderGod

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: May 7, 2004 04:09 pm CDT »
You have to remember though, I live where the sun never stops shining, and where the lightning never stops zapping.

Oh, and there is a huge difference between working on having 2 years experience working on a computer, and troubleshooting a computer.

From what you just did to your friend's computer, you shouldn't even be looking for a job in that field. No offense.

Lidge Farkley

• Uber Menace
    • http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/psychosworld2/
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: May 8, 2004 03:03 am CDT »
Quote from: "UnderGod"
Oh, and there is a huge difference between working on having 2 years experience working on a computer, and troubleshooting a computer.

Indeed.

For example;
Clear your desktop of extra icons and shortcuts with windows 9x versions to increase your speed on older systems.  I don't know how many times I had to clean up the family computers simply by doing this... and it allways works for the general "slow down" problems they complained about.

However... I've also dealt with much busted hardware, corrupt drives, corrupt drives, corrupt disks, etc... and spent plenty of time workign through several cutom configurations to make them work correctly.  For example; old BIOS and Sound Cards on older computers allmost allwasy had very very particular parameters to function properly with your other hardware and software.  When there was not a manual around to read... it became a technical "know how" to fix them.  I don't know most of that stuff any more... but what computer BIOS asks how many disk head, clusters, sectors, etc... it has any more?  How many Sound Cards require you to manually set up the IRQ and port information?  Not any I am aware of these days... so that knowlege is gone by the wayside.

Of course... this is a scratch of what I have done, but why should I even be rambling about it?

I agree with Ozzy...  Troubleshooting a wide variety of problems rather than fix a small area of known problems... and you will learn more than any book can tell you right off the top, mostly because the symptoms don't allways fit the way the book describes it, and there is allways a new kind of problem with all the new components.

Peace.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Lidge Farkley »
Lend your heart unto the divine mineral TOPAZ;
from which our reverent hearts and minds sprang.
Also Known As:  Alcoholic 007
My Page of tribes Tools and Helpful "FAQ" Stuff

BlAcK-IcE

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: May 8, 2004 03:14 am CDT »
You have to remember though, I live where the sun never stops shining, and where the lightning never stops zapping.

From what you just did to your friend's computer, you shouldn't even be looking for a job in that field. No offense.

Go Florida!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by BlAcK-IcE »

WolfTones

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: May 9, 2004 09:48 am CDT »
you shouldn't even be looking for a job in that field. No offense.

That's why I am taking Police Foundations in Jan 05

Taurik

• I'll have a Tribes 1
  • Elvin Legion
    • http://www.Linneberg.com
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: May 9, 2004 02:24 pm CDT »
Quote from: "Lidge Farkley"
I don't know most of that stuff any more... but what computer BIOS asks how many disk head, clusters, sectors, etc... it has any more?

Heh. If you were very lucky, it was written on the hard disk... we had this program called 'hard drive database' or something which usually had the answers if the HDD itself had no info on it
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Taurik »

UnderGod

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: May 9, 2004 07:40 pm CDT »
The old hard drives didn't have set tracks and sectors burned onto them. This is why there was such a problem with temperatures effecting the platter sizes.. I'm not about to relight a bonfire though.

And even after this, the older CMOSs didn't detect them on the hard drives so you had to manually set them anyway.

Now that I reread your post, you are probably talking about the lable. Still then, if you know roughly the maxsize of the HD, and you know how many heads you can figure the rest out.

WolfTones

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2004 10:48 am CDT »
A 40 gig hard drive has roughly 80,000,000 secters..right?