Author Topic: This Period in PCRPG (Episode 5) Released!  (Read 4928 times)

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2007 10:28 pm CST »
Quote from: "Kyrie"
Fancy shmancy! What are these 'other' audio projects? Do I foresee a PCRPG  Musical CD in the future?

You know what, it's entirely possible.  I just do little songs or catchy tunes here and there that I come up with for my own entertainment.  Since I have little to no actual voice talent, I don't release much of my stuff.  What I do release, I generally do so for someone's amusement at my lack of musical talent.

For example, here was a level, noise, static, and layer test I did with the CO1U shortly after getting it that showcases how screwy my stuff is.  Purposeful, yet entertaining (to me).

Microphone Test (MP3)
Microphone Test (Vorbis)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Particle »
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

Kyrie

• Orb Member
  • Uber Menace
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2007 10:40 pm CST »
Quote from: "Particle"
To be honest, I'm not sure what I can do for people that have so many hit points.  I figured Centuria was retarded strong to begin with since the bot levels are so high, etc.  I guess I could raise the level cap some for bots (only) to like 5000 or something and rework a zone to use bots between 2500 and 5000.  How does that sound?

That would be fun, but I'm not sure entirely useful. We can achieve, through skill boosting bots, the same thing as leveling one to level 2000+. Demon Zone bots are level 1500, but have their stats tweaked to not be too powerful. They can pretty easily lck a low remort god, though.
The problem is that we want to be able to continue advancing our characters. This happens two ways: Collecting money to purchase dust and max out to level 1500 or continue remorting to advance our skill caps. If the bots dropped items that were as beneficial (or more so) than mining or clay collecting, it could be used for purpose 1, and bots of that level would be a suitable challenge.

Since no matter the bot's level we earn 4000 exp, not counting Party EXP, when a player is only remorting to advance skills, we want very easy to kill bots that give max exp. With a decent amount of Rank Points, Cavern bots give 4000 exp right up to level 101 and die within a few hits even at level 1.

Simply raising bot levels doesn't really do anything but slow us down and we'd avoid it. When I remort 1 to 101 in Cavern, I can do it in about 45 minutes. When I go to Uber zone, it takes about twice as long, but I am making a lot more money to compensate. Xenos and I can easily level in Centuria 25-101 (can't get in before level 25, need to use Boots of Gliding), but there is no benefit to doing so other than being out of the way of other players.

Ideally, by remorting, skills will continue advancing until at level 101 (my ultimate goal, at any rate. My skills at 101 are very near 2500.) they are the same as an RL100 at level 1500. To do that, a player needs to continue remorting as quickly as possible at the cost of not advancing their money supply.
I think that's the ideal situation: perfect bots to remort on that drop no items or money OR bots horrible for remorting but drop money/items equal to or greater than mining or clay collecting.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Kyrie »

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2007 10:58 pm CST »
Would a new EXP cap equation help?

How about:  4000 + (remort * 50) instead of just 4000?  That way you'd be able to get 50 more EXP each time you remort.
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

Kyrie

• Orb Member
  • Uber Menace
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2007 11:35 pm CST »
So instead of 4000 exp per kill, an RL1300 would earn 4000 + (1300 * 50) exp per kill?? That's 69,000 exp  :D  :P
As an admin, though, I have to consider how that would affect game play balance.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Kyrie »

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2007 12:18 am CST »
I don't think it's too extreme.  I could even do something tapered like I do for levels.

You're forgetting that that is the cap--not necessarily the amount of exp you'd get from each kill.  Unless it was like an ubertastic level five billion, you'd be lucky to get more than 10-15k.

I really don't think gameplay balance is going to be upset when an RL1000 has like 300,000 HP at level 1.  They're already so far and beyond the normal ranges that it wouldn't much matter.

villman420

• Minotaur Rager
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2007 12:48 am CST »
this is the same malarkey we went over before. i dont understand why you wont let others help you. you are so stubborn it pisses more people off than you think. pcrpg can be way better. even sin has people like Rj and Corona helping him when you just give them the cold shoulder. seriously... there is so many creative minds that you just blow off even if YOU dont have to CREATE the code. you act like you listen to the community when actually you dont. What is the point of hosting if you wont do anythiong?... there is more people than you think who give a malarkey about pcrpg and it would be nice if you would let us do something instead of sitting there posting malarkey we dont want to hear. i give up on you trying to understand. please stick to your cs:s noob
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by villman420 »

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2007 01:03 am CST »
It's unfortunate that you feel that way.  I do listen to what people have to say.  I'm sorry if I don't listen to every single thing you say and jump to your commands instantly.  If this is how you must act in order to be happy, I really must insist you consider calling some other TRPG server home.

I'm not an extremely fast-paced developer.  I do listen to ideas from other people, probably Corona more than anyone and do include some of their creative talent from time to time as he can tell you.  It is pretty rare for me to hand the keys over to anyone else for PCRPG, however, as I don't feel like giving away all the work I've done over the years to potentially anyone who feels like hosting a server in competition with my own.  It's something I've only done twice in the history of the server, and I've gotten burned half the time.  People love to put back doors into contributions for some reason.  I cannot trust people of that maturity level--hence, accepting nothing from people I don't know really well protects me from most of the problems associated with running donated code.  I spent a lot of time getting PCRPG to the point it is today--why should everyone else get that for free?  All my hard work would surely just be taken for granted.

I host because people want a place to play that's stable.  It's because of the players that I continue to host six years later.  Look around, villman.  There are very few who feel like you do.  People haven't complained about anything to me in months.  It's always the minority that is the most vocal.  I do appreciate the feedback, however.

There is nothing more than that to understand.  I'm not sure why it would be so hard to do so either, if you just listen to me over time as people ask various components of this question as a whole.

If you don't want to listen to "this malarkey" then don't.  Nobody is making you do it, are they?   :?

Vorter_X_

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2007 04:57 am CST »
Hasn't it been 8 years? Coulda swore I've been playing this since late 1999
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Vorter_X_ »

Xenos

• Elvin Legion
    • http://www.baconcat.com
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2007 06:49 am CST »
I think villman was thinking about you implementing code others have written. Not giving it to them.  Giving it to anyone would be dumb but giving someone like Corona access wouldn't.  This is a mod for an outdated game.  Does the code really need to be that secret?

Depending on how much you changed the code style of trpg it should be possible for someone to write rpg code and for you to merge it into your codebase.  If you receive code and and it's so unreadable that you can't figure out how it works and what it does then just say no and tell them to fix it.

---------------------------

Higher exp cap would be awesome!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Xenos »

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2007 08:18 am CST »
and do include some of their creative talent from time to time

As I addressed previously, I have included third party code from time to time.

villman420

• Minotaur Rager
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2007 11:12 am CST »
and do include some of their creative talent from time to time

As I addressed previously, I have included third party code from time to time.

yea time to time meaning a year.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by villman420 »

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2007 01:46 pm CST »
Quote from: "Xenos"
Higher exp cap would be awesome!

Then it's settled.  I'll make some sort of adaptive cap to allow more exp (potential) based on remort level.  I don't think it'll be a big deal since once you're RL 500, a few more, faster remorts don't really much matter anyway.  It should make things less boring.