Author Topic: New Forum Software  (Read 3346 times)

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
New Forum Software
« on: January 26, 2009 03:45 pm CST »
Hey guys.  I've switched to some new forum software.  I've ditched phpBB3 in favor of SMF.  I've done this for a few reasons:

- phpBB3 is slooooooooooooow
- phpBB3 doesn't have quick reply functionality (and none of the 45 mods to add it work)
- SMF offers many more modern features that users expect in a forum that phpBB doesn't have such as spellcheck, etc
- SMF should be better at blocking spammers

Let me know if you encounter any strange issues.  I think I've ironed most of them out already.  Maybe quick reply will help foster posting since every other forum on earth has that as a standard feature these days.

It's interesting.  I think SMF is a product of the same people who did YaBB many moons ago.  It's funny because YaBB is the forum software we started with before I went to YaBB SE and finally phpBB.  We wouldn't have ever switched, but my first web host's TOS specifically disallowed the use of YaBB because it hammered system resources.  Anyway, here we are again I suppose.  lol

LOGINS SHOULD NOW WORK AGAIN.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009 09:37 pm CST by Particle »
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

lowprofile

• Goblin Pup
Re: New Forum Software
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009 09:31 pm CST »
lol

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009 09:36 pm CST »
NFY, if you want to post around here there's no reason to go all cognito.  You're free to post.

---

Logins should now work normally again.  I had to iron out some issues with the phpBB3 to SMF password conversion.
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

KoRo

• Fat, Emo Robot
  • Centurian Lord
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009 01:03 am CST »
For some reason, I couldn't post any replies immediately after you made the upgrade. That was also over a day ago, so something must have changed. Do you (Particle) know what it might have been? Permission mess-up or something?

WiiMote

• Goblin Pup
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009 09:05 am CST »
I guess this is where I should go with my (minorish) issue.

I'm locked out of Dyre because of the upgrade invalidating my old PW, and Dyre is linked to an old e-mail account.

It's really not that big of a deal.  I can stick with this screen name instead.  Just figured I should let you know that I decided to be a douche and create a second screen name instead of e-mailing you.

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009 02:33 pm CST »
I can update your old account's email address if you'd like.

WiiMote

• Goblin Pup
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009 03:43 pm CST »
That could work.  I'll send you a PM.

Lidge Farkley

• Uber Menace
    • http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/psychosworld2/
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009 12:23 am CST »
Interesting... and sooooo fast!! :-D
Lend your heart unto the divine mineral TOPAZ;
from which our reverent hearts and minds sprang.
Also Known As:  Alcoholic 007
My Page of tribes Tools and Helpful "FAQ" Stuff

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009 06:05 am CST »
That could work.  I'll send you a PM.

I've updated your old account to use your new email address.  You should be able to reset or whatever now.

For some reason, I couldn't post any replies immediately after you made the upgrade. That was also over a day ago, so something must have changed. Do you (Particle) know what it might have been? Permission mess-up or something?

Yes, it was an issue with passwords.  phpBB3 uses a custom hash method that couldn't be converted without a password reset.  I installed a module that replaces SMF's hashing with the phpBB3 method, and that's what allows people to login normally now.

Dyre

• Gnoll Fighter
« Reply #9 on: February 1, 2009 03:11 am CST »
Got it.  Thanks.
My job is done here!

*woosh*

12Stones

• Minotaur Rager
« Reply #10 on: February 5, 2009 06:48 am CST »
It's noticeably faster..  NICE UPGRAYDES

Quote from: "Aphex"
mmm so many different types of music, so little time.

|\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ASCII FAN\\\|]