Author Topic: So we're getting an awesome new server this month  (Read 2203 times)

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
So we're getting an awesome new server this month
« on: December 7, 2008 12:32 pm CST »
I know our current server is virtually lag-free most of the time, but I've had an opportunity to move the server closer to home and to also use my own hardare instead of renting a box in a datacenter.

Our new server hardare is mostly complete with the only missing parts being six more DIMMs and another Opteron CPU--both of which will arrive Monday.

New server:
2x AMD Opteron 2350 (2.0GHz, Quads, 65nm, Socket F)
8x 2GB ECC Registered DDR2-667
Tyan S2912 Dual Socket F E-ATX
2x Hitachi 160GB T7K250 SATA in RAID-1 (Mirror)
Dual Gigabit NICs
Windows Server 2008 Standard
Mostly unused DS3 (45Mbps, bidirectional over fiber)
Located in Kansas City, KS

So what does this do for us?  Well, it should reduce pings for people on the west coast since it will be more geographically centered for the United States region.  Pings for people on the east coast shouldn't increase by much.  This also lets us run more community services without any impact on the Tribes server itself due to having eight K10 cores and 16GB of RAM to play with.  Planned features include what we have now (PCRPG, TeamSpeak, Ventrilo) along with newer features such as Team Fortress 2 and possibly a Left 4 Dead server.  Anyone want Garry's Mod or some other popular game hosted?  We've got virtually unlimited serving power now.  :)

So, this should be a good move for us.  It's cheaper for me (I currently spend $1 of every $14 I make to keep this place running), faster, and more centralized.  It opens new options.  Suggestions, comments, etc welcome.
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

Bovidi

• Undead Hero
    • http://www.geocities.com/mygamepage101/orc
Re: So we're getting an awesome new server this month
« Reply #1 on: December 9, 2008 05:09 pm CST »
*Shows thumbs up to Particle*

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008 08:36 am CST »
Bit of a snag with some of the Tribes software on Server 2008...hopefully I can get this resolved.
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

astal

• PCRPG Peacekeepers
  • Orc Thrasher
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008 08:54 pm CST »
NOOOO!!!! MY MASTER SERVERS DONT WORK!! ALL 7 OF THEM!!

WicKeD

• Goblin Pup
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008 02:53 pm CST »
Whoa bovidi u play here?

Lidge Farkley

• Uber Menace
    • http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/psychosworld2/
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009 07:54 pm CST »
Hmm...
That explains why everything was so smooth when I logged in and created a character last week.

Sweet!
Lend your heart unto the divine mineral TOPAZ;
from which our reverent hearts and minds sprang.
Also Known As:  Alcoholic 007
My Page of tribes Tools and Helpful "FAQ" Stuff