Author Topic: [From eViL] Greek Mythology  (Read 4436 times)

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
[From eViL] Greek Mythology
« on: September 12, 2003 08:07 pm CDT »
eViL emailed this to me in hopes I'd post it.  I think it's rather interesting, myself:

=====

Greek Mythology [eViL's Question]

well, as the chain of life goes with the titans and the olympians... Uranus + Cronus produced Zeus.  Zeus had enough strength to overthrow his father's rule as well as banish the rest of the titans to a place beyond the underworld.  well, if that is so, then why is it that when 2 olympians have children, the children aren't stronger than the olympians.  because cleary when two titans had children, the children had more power than them in order to be able to banish them to a life worse than hell for all eternity.

so what is the entire theory and knowledge base of people in the forums on this matter?

=====

We were talking about it on AIM, which explains some of it further so I thought I'd post that:

uVe BeeN CrAcKeD: its actually an interesting thing to think about
uVe BeeN CrAcKeD: because in the order of events and history, it means that the offspring of zeus and his wives had more powers and strength than the olympians did
ORB Tbird761: I'll probably have to wait a few mins to receive it
uVe BeeN CrAcKeD: because 2 titans, Uranus + Cronus
uVe BeeN CrAcKeD: produced zeus
uVe BeeN CrAcKeD: and zeus had enough power in him to banish all the titans to the neverworld of whatever you want to call it (which is farther down that the underworld)
uVe BeeN CrAcKeD: so if zeus had that much power, his offsping had to have even more power than him
uVe BeeN CrAcKeD: kinda boggles the mind and throws an interesting twist at the entire greek mythology stuff
ORB Tbird761: It was believed that offspring had more power than their parents then, right?
ORB Tbird761: Always?
uVe BeeN CrAcKeD: yes
ORB Tbird761: ahh, there it is (email)
uVe BeeN CrAcKeD: which in turn means that all the offspring of zeus had more power than zeus
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Particle »
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

EVIL_INC

• Elvin Legion
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2003 09:30 pm CDT »
Faulty, but interesting.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by EVIL_INC »
The only original member of the server still active and the staunchest supporter of the administration and Particle's rules.
4th in doghouse. Last in actual server and forum rules broken.
Quote from: HUBBA
I kinda miss Evil's lengthy post.

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2003 09:42 pm CDT »
INC, first an expert on the fuller, then a server political analyst, and now a doctorate on Greek Mythology?  Very impressive.
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

Jason_Xero

• Uber Menace
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2003 09:56 pm CDT »
What other fields do you have a Ph.D in?

Please list all your Ph.Ds here accordingly so we know just how smart you are, and how often we need to pray for you just so you can make your godly presence.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Jason_Xero »
Gotta love SBC with their 6Mbps tier for 45$
(Yes, on their site it only shows 3Mbps, but it is actually 6Mbps, I would know :)).

EVIL_INC

• Elvin Legion
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2003 09:05 am CDT »
I have no idea what a "fuller" even IS so cannot now and never have claimed to be an expert on it.
I am also not a "political analyst" I was merely able to read rules and follow them.
As for having a doctorate on mythology, I also have never claimed such. I DO have a B.A. degree hanging on my wall that says that I at least have a passing knowledge of history, mythology and the teaching of it.

It is sad that you guys hate me to such a degree that if I were to tell you that 1 + 1 = 2 you would call me a lyer. (yes I admit my grammer sucks.)
I am not and never have claimed to be "smart" (although there ARE others here who do make those claims).
I had actually understood this to be a gaming community where people were supposed to get along.  I understand that not everyone gets along all the time but why randomly pick out one unobtrusive,undeserving member and make them the "scapegoat" to blame the worlds ills on and take out everyones frustrations on?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2003 09:15 am CDT by EVIL_INC »
The only original member of the server still active and the staunchest supporter of the administration and Particle's rules.

Crash

• Rapist!!!
  • Uber Menace
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2003 09:12 am CDT »
You're wrong.

See how stupid that is? If you are telling us that he is flawed, then tell us how, and why. Just telling someone they are wrong but not providing a reason why, is stupid.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Crash »

EVIL_INC

• Elvin Legion
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2003 09:25 am CDT »
Quote from: "Crash"
You're wrong.

See how stupid that is? If you are telling us that he is flawed, then tell us how, and why. Just telling someone they are wrong but not providing a reason why, is stupid.

Ok, I was hoping that I could encourage you to read the mythology for yourself to find the scoop. Until you do, you will never know the full truth having always just taken the word of others.
Zues was not nessessarily "more powerfull". He used trickery to succeed. "Brute power" was not the #1 facter.
Secondly, the children of the gods were not nessessarily "more powerfull" than the gods themselves. To use an example, look at Heracles. He was physically stronger but not more "powerfull" and he was the most powerfull of the gods children.
The Greeks, unlike us, modeled thier gods on real people and thier foibles. Thus they had personalities that matched real people and had the relating weaknesses. Being more powerfull is a matter of interpretation. Which aspect of power are you speaking of.
To use the zues/entropy example, yes, zues was more powerfull in the cunning aspect but not in others. Think of human beings. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses.

Crash

• Rapist!!!
  • Uber Menace
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2003 09:53 am CDT »
From evil:

Cronos married his sister and became King of the Titans. They had five children but Cronos had been warned that one of them would kill him; so, he swallowed each one as it was born. To save her sixth child, Rhea tricked Cronos into swallowing a stone wrapped in baby's clothing and hid the child among some lesser nature goddesses called nymphs who brought him up safely. This child was Zeus. When he grew up, Zeus returned home in disguise and slipped a potion into Cronos' drink, making him choke. The children he had swallowed were coughed out, whole and safe. They were his daughters Hestia, Demeter, and Hera, and sons Pluto and Poseidon.A fierce battle then took place. Zeus freed the Cyclops who made thunderbolts for him to hurl. They also made a forked trident for Poseidon, and a helmet that made its wearer invisible for Pluto. But, most of the Titans and giants sided with Cronos. After a terrible struggle the younger gods were victorious. The Titans were banished: one of them, Atlas, was made to hold up the heavens as punishment.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Crash »

Silvanoshei

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2003 09:55 am CDT »
Is eViL banned or something?

Anyway, there's very little evidence in there that supports the Child > Parents theory.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Silvanoshei »

The DoDoDo.

Your opinion is worthless unless you can support it.
We are not responsible for your stupidity.
I don't take sides. I take action.

Currently Playing:  Warcraft III [PC]

EVIL_INC

• Elvin Legion
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2003 10:03 am CDT »
He is using the name Major now and doesnt want to give himself away. and I believe that he is (I could be wrong on both counts of course :roll: )
Crash the passage quoted says nothing about a one on one single battle between zuess and his father that was unnaffected by any other outside force. As a matter of fact, they fought with outside help (thier "magical" weapons were made by the cyclops).
In a battle situation cunning has as much to do with victory as pure brute strength.
So, since they idea of the children always being right and more powerfull in all situations has been put to rest, I will state that there does come times when children are more powerfull than the parents.
In the younger years the parents are more powerfull than the children due to the childrens youth. Then they even out as both are adults and then in old age, the roles are reversed.

xkenshinx

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2003 10:04 am CDT »
i don't see how Cronos was stronger than Chaos.... i belive chaos was supposed to be the first being or whatever....

errrrrr Hercules shouldn't be mentioned in this at all... since hes not the result of 2 gods .... twas zues cheating with a human

my theory is very simple... the reason why the children of the gods/titans are stronger is based on fears devolped by rulers of state or kingdom.. or hell ... any male realy.. think about how often a prince would kill his father simply so he could attain power... alot of mythology is based on the current sociological factors.... obviously greek/roman mythology was written by men... because it is always the mother and the son who overthrow the king/leader/god/titan in the stories..... (which comes back to psychological factors like ... all guys want to sleep with their mothers and malarkey) you can even see it in the animal kingdom.. meaning how much a father will despise his off spring out of fear....

ex. cronos overthrew his father.. (uranus with gaia's help)... same with zues ... his mother .... or some type of female helped him by tricking his father (been awhile since i read anything on greek myth)

its also interesting that almost all mythology has tons of incest in it 0_o..... i suppose its the easiest way to explain things

sorry for the grammar.. or lack of.. ;)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2003 10:06 am CDT by xkenshinx »

"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire." �Roland Deschain, of Gilead

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2003 10:05 am CDT »
It's your delivery.  You sound like a complete asshole with the "I'm smarter than you so shut the fork up and eat your pudding" attitude when you correct people.

That and the fact that you seem to have written the book on every subject past and present.

EVIL_INC

• Elvin Legion
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2003 10:07 am CDT »
Your right kenshin. You just put it more aptly than I.
I might have been wrong to use Heracles as an example but I though it at least sort of relevant since he was so powerfull.

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2003 10:17 am CDT »
I'm no master on mythology so I'm kinda lost.

EVIL_INC

• Elvin Legion
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2003 10:19 am CDT »
Quote from: "Particle"
It's your delivery.  You sound like a complete asshole with the "I'm smarter than you so shut the fragglewert up and eat your pudding" attitude when you correct people.

That and the fact that you seem to have written the book on every subject past and present.

If that is at me I am confused.
I am not the one who tells everyone they are stupid and to shut up. Quite often I am wrong and am humble enough to admit it and learn. It is a prejudice against me that colors anything I say to be "ass-holish" rather than anything I actually say.
I also do not and never have claimed to be an expert in EVERYTHING. I do have a passing knowledge of history (some areas" mythology (some areas) weapons (hand weapons not firearms), factory life and the proccesses therin, sociology (some areas)
Beyond that, I might or might not know what is going on and am willing to learn.
There are other areas in which I am totally clueless such as computers and fashion. You might notice that if a topic comes up which I know nothiong about, I simply stay out of it in order to let the experts talk. That is why when I post you see it as some sort of know it all thing. I only post on what I do know about (hense my low post count and rarely posting.)