Author Topic: Making new weapon skins  (Read 2989 times)

FrieD

• Orc Thrasher
Making new weapon skins
« on: November 6, 2003 07:58 pm CST »
I was wondering how i could make some new weapon skins. What i would need and if there is a tutorial for it?

Thanks in advance

FrieD
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by FrieD »

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: November 6, 2003 08:18 pm CST »
I'm not a skinner, but there are a few floating around on the forum.  Somebody will probably help you.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Particle »
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

Lidge Farkley

• Uber Menace
    • http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/psychosworld2/
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: November 7, 2003 02:56 am CST »
I've never done it, but I imagine it's not much different than an armor skin.  Find the weapon skin file, make a copy, open it, edit it, save it with the correct pallete file (and the correct skin name for the weapon skin you're trying to replace) and makeskin that bad boy.  For skinning tools you can get the tribes tools pack from the downlods section of the link in my signature.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Lidge Farkley »
Lend your heart unto the divine mineral TOPAZ;
from which our reverent hearts and minds sprang.
Also Known As:  Alcoholic 007
My Page of tribes Tools and Helpful "FAQ" Stuff

FrieD

• Orc Thrasher
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: November 7, 2003 02:59 pm CST »
would same thing go for like a brand new weapon?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by FrieD »

Lidge Farkley

• Uber Menace
    • http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/psychosworld2/
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: November 7, 2003 07:45 pm CST »
Brand new based on code, or brand new based on you made the max file in max 2.5?

If it's brand new a la just a newly coded weapon, then you can point the weapon skin to your custom named and looking skin for the old weapon model.

If it is a whole new weapon made in max, then I think when you assign it a texture set of colors, it will output the skins into a file and save it with your max files for that object.  I don't actually know as I have not used max in more than 4 years, and when I did, it was only for a few minutes, so I was not concearned with opening the files I made back up.

Anyway... good luck in your endevours, and post some more if you still have some questions.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Lidge Farkley »
Lend your heart unto the divine mineral TOPAZ;
from which our reverent hearts and minds sprang.
Also Known As:  Alcoholic 007
My Page of tribes Tools and Helpful "FAQ" Stuff

-eViL-

• Minotaur Rager
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2003 03:50 pm CST »
Yes alc, you must assign it a set of textures to use and from there, you can open it up in something like PSP (paint shop pro) and edit the actual skin colors and what not.  Just make sure you save the file after applying the tribes palette of colors to the newly made skin.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by -eViL- »
There's nothing ever wrong but nothing's ever right
Such a cruel contradiction