Author Topic: repacking...  (Read 1955 times)

Lidge Farkley

• Uber Menace
    • http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/psychosworld2/
repacking...
« on: November 21, 2003 01:58 pm CST »
Allright...

The idea, though I don't know if it is obtainable or how to obtain it, is to clean up the trpg files so that they install in a more tidy package of files for the client and server.

The reasoning for this is that this would enable a user to install multiple base versions of the files in different rpg directories, then apply additional mod files directly over each directory for each mod.  For example;

"c:\dynamix\tribes\rpg"
"c:\dynamix\tribes\pcrpg"
etc...

Each mod-patch would then also install like this;

"c:\dynamix\tribes" is the base directory.
"\rpgclient.bat -mod rpg" (er however it is written, I forget.)
(that would be in the tribes folder as the client launch file for that mod)
"\rpg\" (all the files for base 5.005 rpg.)

In re-ordering the files for this to work in a more organized way we would need to re-pack all of the sounds for this mod into a sound pack, or a few sound packs (1 for weaponsounds, 1 for playersounds, 1 for musicsounds, etc..)

.dts and .dis files would also probably need to be re-packed.

I know it seems like a lot of work for not much gain, but, it would make installing and managing all of the different mods for trpg a bit easier.  Of course, many will argue that the mod is too dead to worry a bout that any way.

I have made some damaged skins which are bloody (Hersh has them, as do a few others from when I posted them on the ooold trpg boards) and I have edited out the sound artifacts in all of the wav files for the trpg base mod.

I would like to add these to the base re-pack of the rpg5.005 mod, even if the first re-pack is just adding some extra stuff that's not server side controlled.

What does every one think?  I know it's "late" in the mod making to be siggesting some thing like this, but if we get motivated to finish this then maybe when the next installment of trpg (tv:rpg) comes a round, then it will more smooth, as all of the files will be packed in to easily recognisable files according to their use and type, giving us a lay out to start from that is visually well planned looking. ;-)

Peace.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Lidge Farkley »
Lend your heart unto the divine mineral TOPAZ;
from which our reverent hearts and minds sprang.
Also Known As:  Alcoholic 007
My Page of tribes Tools and Helpful "FAQ" Stuff