Author Topic: Official Mass Clear Vote  (Read 63722 times)

FloPPy_PiLLoW

• Elvin Legion
(No subject)
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2004 07:27 pm CDT »
Quote from: "Crash"
I vote yes. I haven't been in the server nearly as much as I used to be, but I feel my two cents are still worth something.... like two cents or so. A clear will never fix cheating. Ever. If anything it will require some responsiblity from the admins. You are gonna have to keep an eye on people and find out who in fact is the one starting all the cheating.

With the cheating. I would find some people who you can trust and play often and just take them to the side (metiforically) and ask them to keep an eye out. That way it isn't people cheating while admins aren't there. Cause obviously people aren't gonna cheat while you are there. So like PM them on the forums or #tell them within the game. Than just give them an e-mail to reach you at. Just MAKE SURE YOU CAN TRUST em. Nothing worse than having one of your spys cheating.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by FloPPy_PiLLoW »

Jonah

• Uber Menace
(No subject)
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2004 07:33 pm CDT »
I do play.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Jonah »

xRazorex: How big is an average 13 year old penis size?

FloPPy_PiLLoW

• Elvin Legion
(No subject)
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2004 07:34 pm CDT »
Under what name? I have never seen Jonah

Jonah

• Uber Menace
(No subject)
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2004 07:35 pm CDT »
-Lcer- if it gets fixed.

Sinister

• Uber Menace
    • http://www.stormpages.com/snowmann69
(No subject)
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2004 07:38 pm CDT »
Well here is my 2 cents. Clear the server, everyone starts over, Admins do routine checks on players for cash and rare items.  If excessive amounts are found, log ip, clear cash and items, and put that character on a watch list, if it occurs again, take items and cash and give warning, if it happens a third time, ban ip.  It takes 1 minute to check a player's bank and storage, if I had admin I would make this part of my daily routine.  Maybe even make a spreadsheet of everyone's names and have a schedule for doing it.  Admins spend alot of time doing quests (which they should) but they should also spend a comparable amount of time on server maintenance.  As a great man once said "With great power comes great responsibility".  

~SIN~
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Sinister »

UnderGod

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2004 07:51 pm CDT »
It didn't work the first time, what makes you think it will work again? All the suggestions are exactly the same as they were before. It is almost a complete repeat of before with the exception of maybe me.

This game engine is a decade old. Tribes has had it run. TRPG has had its run. PCRPG has had its run.

It would take more effort than any decent coder that still has the nag for being around here has to offer for this. I hate to put it bluntly (Wait, no I don't. I put everything bluntly) but it is over.

HL2 will be out soon along with T:V. Just like the previous games in the series, they will be the cookie cutters for modding. If anyone seriously insists on creating a decent FPS RPG, there is a lot to consider. I know personally because I have been through the routein many times. Even Particle and I together have. You wouldn't believe some of the ideas we have come up with in the past.

It takes a lot of thought, patience, and time to make a decent mod. Even more so an RPG. No matter what I say though, you would never understand exactly what I am talking about untill you have gone through what Particle and I have.

Ok.. I'm going off topic now. These 19 hour days will really throw you out the sanity window.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by UnderGod »
"The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world"

Razore

• Centurian Lord
    • http://chaoko.tripod.com
(No subject)
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2004 07:52 pm CDT »
Or you could make a program that can record/log it for you.

All you need to do is go ingame, and

exec("bankcheck.cs");

(Sorry if I forgot how to type commands in console x_x)

and then once you run it once, it will run once every hour as long as youre on, and log it for you in an easy-to-read format.

Shouldnt be too hard for the people we've got here.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Razore »

xRazorex: Yo
BlAcKIcE398: wtf u got me killed newb
BlAcKIcE398: block
BlAcKIcE398 signed off at 3:49:05 PM.

Sinister

• Uber Menace
    • http://www.stormpages.com/snowmann69
(No subject)
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2004 07:53 pm CDT »
Hmmmm....didn't even think of that.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Sinister »

Jim

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2004 08:02 pm CDT »
Ozzys right....

Tribes is dead... and sucks dick... so does Harry Potter...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Jim »

Talliun

• Goblin Pup
A bigger perspective in-observation
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2004 08:32 pm CDT »
Community,

First off, I don't currently play on the server, but I have previous understandings of how the community becomes flat-water after "X" amount of time.

The biggest importance we need at PCRPG is innovation and coupled with that; a sense of scale, organization, integration and acceleration.

I think the concept of starting over, and ways of making the "goal" of getting to higher levels and remorts needs to be reworked - and it doesnt take much except the community. Currently we have means of only delaying the leveling process by restarts, more EXP required per level, and delaying the remort "god" status.

See one of the main factors behind the RPG in itself, is you just level, and level; occasionally the small things that alter you from this structure are the things people come to enjoy. I dont know if this can be said for everyone, but I think its a bigger factor than expected.

Or it is at least one that is hidden, and isn't approached because it attacks the foundations as a whole.

Are there solutions? Well we can look at these points of interest after a new slate is issued. These are possible remedies to an already complex question.

INNOVATION - The original creators behind the TRPG modification left many areas of the game to be carried on by smaller groups dedicated to this style of gaming. This door was left to carry on the vitality and integrity of the game, long after the initial areas were exhausted (replayability taken into light). So the system in itself is already flawed from the start, without constant appreciation for innovation. Now in order to keeps this small scale instead of massive coding in an already aged and elder community - all which is needed, is creative imaginations.

How?

Administrators, peacekeepers and quest masters need to look at new solutions regarding constantly changing environments. Quests are the answer; and quite a few of them. It doesn't need to become a factory assembly line of "hot-off-the-press" global quests. Quests dotted around week to week, will entice gamers to come out for another round. These quests will require the creative minds behind Particle's administration staff. That is where innovation is the key. Too much of the same, or too much blandness in the quests will be another trouble inside of this one. Quests should be built around the player, not around the administrators or a weekly quota. This brings us to our next point.

SENSE OF SCALE  Its important that the quests and stories are revolving around the players. They should aim to be coherent and have a sense of immersion - drop the player into them. Example; Snails sees a pair of melee combatants, both are paladins and low in level. From there Snails could go ahead and try and mask a quest strictly around them [buildings, background story, quest dialogue, monsters, rewards etc.]. Using all the tricks of the questing books, you could have yourself a very immersive quest. If you want an example after this, I can give one out.

The main importance is making sure that the quest masters are getting to individuals needs and niche, as opposed to just getting their job done. The goal isnt to do quests when requested by need or want, but to make an observation and decide what is best. Quest masters are also encouraged to enter themselves even into the quest, as either NPC or one of the quest bearers.

But it then borders confusing at such levels of customization. How can we possibly keep track of so many iotas?

ORGANIZATION Task managing such a demanding community is no easy task, and quest masters will have themselves in a strenuous state. A game is no fun when it becomes a task, rather than a digital escape. People apart of the administration team should look into ways of organizing amongst themselves in a manner that is practical and reasonable to carry out quests (and all their inner workings such as world events, player-built quests, tournaments, fun games etc.). Such resolutions could be the use of this board and outside messengers. In addition, having a microphone chat installed to discuss things in real-time as the server evolves is another likelihood.

Administrators should get in the concept of working peer-to-peer with their buddies to reason out some fresh ideas. Working together to make a network of tangible and workable schedules helps others apart of the team feel like theyre involved for a good cause. The people apart of this system should feel like theyre truly working to enhance the community. They will be the sparks that continue to ignite the ongoing bonfire.

But we want to hold that sense of perspective and balance between the administrators and the folks comprising the server  so it doesnt ever seem like there are two spheres of influence going on  but in theory a single nexus. This moves us into point # 4

INTEGRATION We need to make sure that both levels of the server are inter-meshed into a living and breathing apparatus. Whats that mean?

We want to make sure that the administrators are apart of their own creations and stories  and we also want the players to take a stride into bringing back to the origin new ideas, an appreciation, and a feeling of correspondence.

We want to have a parallel world, where the administrators are really the people, and the people are really the administrators. Holy hell, does this even make sense?

Strongly YES, and strongly NO it depends on YOU!

This has to do with continual feedback from everyone (administration and players) to improve the constant innovation in swing. The sense of integration is further boosted when the administrators dont use their powers to break this sense of unity. Administration players should try and level alongside their buddies in the server. Quests should be honoring the communities server economy, therefore keeping equilibrium amongst all rank of players. Quest rewards should also take into consideration areas of relation between the quest and the players stats. Once again it directly falls back on other points mentioned. Furthermore this is all said and done with the community, and how it acts. This then brings us to our finale insight of this observation.

ACCELERATION People are waiting, they always have ideas, people are always giving critiques, and people are always observing and lurking with new ways of improvement. Administrators are always contemplating what should be done, who to listen to or where to turn. There is always a system at work here. But what we fail to do sometimes is act on it.

What we need is to work on the basis that the community needs to act or move forward to new grounds. Are there flaws with the servers? Yes and no. Are there solutions? Yes and no. But are we moving to meet these questions? Maybe.

And thats my final point. There are many directions this can be taken, but which one are we ultimately accelerating too?

We can start fresh with some new ideas and of course the continued development of the community  but we need to bring into life a new sense of innovation and co-existence.

No one said this was going to be straightforward at first  but it can be. ;-)

====================
Closing Statements & Others Concerns:
====================
On God System and Dust Quest  these are fine and offer some other mechanics, as long as they are joined with the other hand of these servers  the quests. Of course in a balanced economy, and rewards that dont corrupt the community too quickly, these quests will be fine in the long-run. People who become high-in-remort should have ways of becoming involved through quests and the community  other than continually leveling. Even with all the quests and this system people will eventually get to the same end of the road in the leveling. There are many options for these people too, that can become involved with even the lower remorts in many unique ways. Just ask if you want some ideas out of the hat. One is using those houses/guilds.
===================

Signed,

Talliun

PS: If we dont think PCRPG of Tribes I is salvageable, perhaps we can keep this in mind for new beginnings with PCRPG in T:V
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Talliun »

FloPPy_PiLLoW

• Elvin Legion
(No subject)
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2004 08:34 pm CDT »
It is over for some. It is just begining for others, but for the dedicated population it is continuing.

Ozzy, It may be over for you. Your choice. Though it is old, it is still fun. Atleast for some of us. So there for there are some of us who play and is not done. Aslong as there are a few who play.

As for you Jim, shut the hell up. Atleast Ozzy was kind enough to put it politely but the what you said was not needed.

Jonah

• Uber Menace
(No subject)
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2004 08:35 pm CDT »
Normally I don't mind reading long posts.. but I'm not going to read all that now =P

Maybe later.

LastWish

• What's Yours?
  • Uber Menace
(No subject)
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2004 08:41 pm CDT »
Spam this thread with useless flames and insults and i'll do more than delete your posts.  (you know who you are)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by LastWish »

Jim

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2004 08:42 pm CDT »
Sorry Harry Potter.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Jim »

FloPPy_PiLLoW

• Elvin Legion
(No subject)
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2004 08:43 pm CDT »
wow. You did that fast :P