Author Topic: Is my processor is "special"?  (Read 1993 times)

Hersh

• Elvin Legion
Is my processor is "special"?
« on: October 3, 2004 04:13 am CDT »
I wanted another computer to host an ftp from since I had most of the parts. Well, when I took my old AMD 2700+ Barton out of its little bag; I noticed a blemish? on the top of it. I don't think I've seen it on any other processor, so maybe one of you have seen it or knows what it is.

Its a grayed design I geuss in a square. (Theres no text in it that I can make out with a magnifing glass.)
It isn's solid, there are several areas in it where I can see the metal through it.

I'd think it was just some accident, except for the square shape.

(And no, It doesnt scratch off.)
 :?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Hersh »

I kissed a drunk girl on the lips.
This post, by its very length, defends itself against the risk of being read.

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: October 3, 2004 07:34 am CDT »
It's normal.  It's kinda like the UPS scatter code you see on packages.  If I am not mistaken, it looks laser etched (that color is a pretty good giveaway), so that would be why it doesn't scratch off.  It's on every AMD processor.

And yes, it's on all of mine too.  No worries!  This area isn't the actual core.  The core is under it--if there were a problem with it, you wouldn't see it (unless it was a heat-related melting problem).
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Particle »
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

Sinister

• Uber Menace
    • http://www.stormpages.com/snowmann69
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: October 3, 2004 02:02 pm CDT »
I remember reading somewhere that the folks who make the chips put little images on them....kinda like a "so and so was here" type thing.  Kinda like little thugs with their spray cans in the ghetto.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Sinister »

Hersh

• Elvin Legion
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: October 3, 2004 05:06 pm CDT »
Hmmm, never noticed that before, thanks.

Particle what kind of memory is on the OC'd 2600+ in your sig?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Hersh »

I kissed a drunk girl on the lips.
This post, by its very length, defends itself against the risk of being read.

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: October 3, 2004 05:59 pm CDT »
2 x 512MB GeIL PC3500 UDL (6-3-3-2 @ 216MHz rated)
1 x 512MB SimpleTech PC3200 (crappy rated, but I needed quantity)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Particle »
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.