Author Topic: 3D Mark 2005  (Read 2831 times)

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
3D Mark 2005
« on: October 1, 2004 08:33 pm CDT »
It's finally out and has a patch.  Unfortunately, it sucks more than 2003 did.  Here's my short, quick story.

My machine runs 3D Mark 2001 just fine.  It runs Quake 3 fine.  It runs UT2004 and Half-Life fine.  It can run GL Quake and Doom 3.  Max Payne isn't a problem and neither is Rise of Nations.  Homeworld 2 runs, as does Need for Speed:  Hot Pursuit 2.

However, for a long time now...I can't run 3D Mark 2003.  It just quits to desktop at the first test.  The demo mode runs fine, but not the benchmark.  3D Mark 2005 reboots my machine after the splash screen is ready to go away.  If you folks have wondered why I don't post anything but a 3D Mark 2001 score, this is why.

For some reason, my machine is "improperly configured."  BAH!  If it can run every program that I've ever come across--DX7/8/9, OpenGL, or 2D then it isn't MY machine's fault.  It's the forking retards that write the code for THEIR program.  If there's an issue, my hardware isn't to blame.  Similarly, if somebody made a new measurement system and made bolts based on that and his bolts didn't fit some cars while every other bolt of substitution did, it would be that guy's fault--not that particular car manufacturer's.

Futuremark is pathetic.  I hope it burns down along with every single copy of the programs they make
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Particle »
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

Sinister

• Uber Menace
    • http://www.stormpages.com/snowmann69
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: October 1, 2004 09:08 pm CDT »
Am I the only one that looks at your posts and is like......

WTF?    lol
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Sinister »

-eViL-

• Minotaur Rager
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: October 1, 2004 11:52 pm CDT »
yep.

That sucks particle, it could just be the overclock on the machine as well.  I have read articles about massive overclocks will throw off the 3D Mark programs for some unknown reason.  It is more the video card overclock that messes with the program though, cpu overclocks have been reported maybe one in every few hundred thousand 3D Mark users.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by -eViL- »
There's nothing ever wrong but nothing's ever right
Such a cruel contradiction

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: October 2, 2004 08:55 am CDT »
This problem spans two different CPUs in this system.  Also, when I talk about these programs not running, that is me at default clock and memory on my Radeon.  I'll step down to 2002MHz (154x13) here in a while to see if by some odd reason it doesn't like my OC.

That's something I just don't understand.  Sure, my CPU is overclocked substantially, but it doesn't produce any computational errors above normal (that I've found running Prime95).  Even the average Joe's overclock often produces more errors than mine @ 2.6GHz.  Eh, I won't unsavory woman about it anymore until I try 2GHz and see if that is my problem.  I have to wait about 30 minutes for a file copy to finish up--then I'll down clock and try to get enough nerve to retry.

It wouldn't be a real problem, but when my machine reboots without doing it properly, my arrays have to reinitialize--which slows me down to a crawl for about 1 hour and then to a slow walk for an additional 2.
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

Darwin

• Centurian Lord
    • http://www.mierda54.tripod.com
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: October 4, 2004 08:22 pm CDT »

I think my old HDD is providing a slight bottleneck.  I wish more geek's computers were confiscated by the government, so that I could get a X800PE at one of those police auctions...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Darwin »

UnderGod

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: October 4, 2004 10:47 pm CDT »
A Hard Drive is a bottleneck in any system.. Even if it is SCSI running at 15k RPMs.. You are comparing mechanics to electric signals.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by UnderGod »
"The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world"

-eViL-

• Minotaur Rager
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: October 4, 2004 11:07 pm CDT »
looks like its time for solid state ;)

Darwin

• Centurian Lord
    • http://www.mierda54.tripod.com
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: October 5, 2004 07:16 am CDT »
I might just steal my grandparents 120gb seagate (SATA) for this old WD.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Darwin »

UnderGod

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: October 5, 2004 09:32 am CDT »
Solid state hard drives are too damn expensive to even think about.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by UnderGod »
"The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world"

-eViL-

• Minotaur Rager
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: October 5, 2004 12:52 pm CDT »
make your own oz :P

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: October 5, 2004 04:29 pm CDT »
Uhh, unless they changed it for 3D Mark 2005, load times don't count for anything...and all game data that needs loading is loaded into video RAM and system RAM ahead of time.

-eViL-

• Minotaur Rager
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: October 5, 2004 04:36 pm CDT »
i have a 3200+ Barton, XPM 2500 35W, 2.8C, 650 Celeron.

The 3200+ is in use, this system.

The XPM 2500 is sitting around.  No project planned.

The 2.8C is my project right now, I am trying to build a system for under $500 that will hit 10.5k 3D Marks in 03.  Purpose: Gaming, and to prove a kid down the hall that you don't have to spend $3500 on a computer to make it kick some serious ass.  (He marked 10100 on 03, using a Dell with the X800 setup, 3.4E, etc, etc)  Any and all help on where to get some sweet parts for cheaper is always needed and greatly appreciated.  Mainly because this is a really really tight budget to be able to do this under.

The 650 Celeron is going to be my Peltier test.  I am working out some design plans to hook up 2xPeltiers to solid aluminum blocks with water blocks on the aluminum.  Dunno yet, I am still in the design stages for it all.
« Last Edit: October 5, 2004 04:37 pm CDT by -eViL- »

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: October 5, 2004 04:36 pm CDT »
You told me you sold your XP-M.  What gives?

-eViL-

• Minotaur Rager
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: October 5, 2004 04:39 pm CDT »
friend down the hall :).  he stripped down his system because he fried his agp slot, the 9800 pro in it and fried the board, the proc is still good though, i had it running in a test last night.  bought it for a nice $50

I had a XPM 2500 45W, this one is a 35W so hopefully it'll do some good.

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: October 6, 2004 08:20 pm CDT »
2250MHz does the same thing.  =S