Author Topic: 33 Years Without sleep  (Read 5522 times)

• Gnoll Fighter
33 Years Without sleep
« on: February 24, 2006 07:56 am CST »
64-year old Thai Ngoc had a fever in 1973 and after that he never went to sleep again - not even for a quick nap. He even had a medical examination, but doctors gave him a clean bill of health.

http://www.rapidnewswire.com/sleepless.htm
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by 7 »

WhoCouldIBe

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006 08:29 am CST »
That's allmost as funny as the guy that got caught having a cyber affair with APHEX LOLSSS!

Get the hell out of here you sick person! I'm surprised you showed your face back here,, even if it's been over a year now....GO ON! BE GONE WITH YE!!! :twisted:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by WhoCouldIBe »

Please donate money to the starving and underprivilaged Coca-cola addicts of British Columbia.They have no money, bad clothes and a terrible diet, as shown in the above picture. Please please please help!Thank you.
Quote from: "Jeenyus"
Secondly, what the hell is a jog? I know the word job but not jog... As for a job, I have one and I earn money,

KoRo

• Fat, Emo Robot
  • Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006 01:39 pm CST »
That isn't even physically possible, based on every study done on the need for sleep to keep our brains working properly. He would have gotten mentally phatigued after about 50 hours, and only get worse and worse....

and dont say he's an evolutionary leap  :P

and is that newspaper even a credible source? If this story were true, it would have been a huge story in the scientific community, and from there made it on to national news at least....
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by KoRo »

FireFox

• http://www.33rpm.com
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006 02:08 pm CST »
I doubt it's real. Either the source or the person and the people around them are unreliable. Prolonged sleep deprivation has the ability to cause death. In this case, he would surely be dead. The brain will begin to deteriorate after some time without sleep.

However, at least one other source has it listed, but not that I know to be credible. The man would most likely be unfuctioning, even if he were to somehow, say, get past the fact of death. Learning cannot properly occur without sleep.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by FireFox »
If at first you don't succeed, call it version 1.0

Taurik

• I'll have a Tribes 1
  • Elvin Legion
    • http://www.Linneberg.com
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006 05:34 pm CST »
Quote from: "WhoCouldIBe"
That's allmost as funny as the guy that got caught having a cyber affair with APHEX LOLSSS!

Get the hell out of here you sick person! I'm surprised you showed your face back here,, even if it's been over a year now....GO ON! BE GONE WITH YE!!! :twisted:

Who gives two malarkeys?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Taurik »

Dirk

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006 07:20 pm CST »
If you hadn't made a post, acknowledging the little boy's post no one would have. Thanks for pointing it out and giving the little brat attention though.  :bicker:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Dirk »

Taurik

• I'll have a Tribes 1
  • Elvin Legion
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006 07:40 pm CST »
Quote from: "Dirk"
If you hadn't made a post, acknowledging the little boy's post no one would have. Thanks for pointing it out and giving the little brat attention though.  :bicker:

Who gives two malarkeys?

FireFox

• http://www.33rpm.com
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2006 09:17 pm CST »
Kids, play nice.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by FireFox »
If at first you don't succeed, call it version 1.0

Taurik

• I'll have a Tribes 1
  • Elvin Legion
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2006 09:56 pm CST »
Quote from: "FireFox"
Kids, play nice.

I'm not inclined and Dirk's not capable. :(

Dirk

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2006 11:03 pm CST »
Or we could pretend like this is an online forum and do what is done on online forums.

NFY

• Worthless POS
  • Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2006 12:23 am CST »
agreed. move back to mexico dirk.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by NFY »

KoRo

• Fat, Emo Robot
  • Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2006 12:35 am CST »
First link of search, and even this comes up.
http://http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/neuro/neuro01/web3/Ledoux.html
Seriously, sleep = 100% needed
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by KoRo »

12Stones

• Minotaur Rager
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: March 1, 2006 04:16 pm CST »
I believe it..  I'm sure at times he 'zones out' which people with insomnia do since they can't sleep.  It's not that the brain needs sleep, but it needs a period of no use, or no processing.  Think about it..  all you do when you sleep is not use your brain aside from subconscious activity which is constantly active whether you are sleeping or awake.

I think it's totally possible.  The reason it's so bad for people without insomnia is because they can't cope with it since it's normally not a problem for them..  they just stay awake and continually use their brain till they either fall asleep or die.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by 12Stones »

Quote from: "Aphex"
mmm so many different types of music, so little time.

|\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ASCII FAN\\\|]

KoRo

• Fat, Emo Robot
  • Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: March 1, 2006 06:32 pm CST »
Actually 12Stones, I dont think that's quite correct (not trying to put you down) When you're asleep, the brain isn't neccisarily inactive. If anything, it's active in very different regions. When you sleep, your brain essentially collects everything that you saw, heard, and did during your wakening period and organizes it for biochemical memory storage...Think of it as defragging your hard drive (but actually doing something to help). Also, if your brain was not processing anything, chances are you wouldn't dream at all. And since scientists have found that dreaming is imperative to proper brain function, your brain obviously has to be doing some pretty important shat at night. But you are correct, in a sense, that our brain needs a period of non-processing..but only in a conscious sense. When our consciousness drifts out, our subconscious takes over.

also, remember the different stages of sleep. our brainwaves change drastically based on what stage of sleep we're in (the deepest of course being REM sleep)....Actually, looking back on it, the way we sleep is more like....its comparible to a dishwasher and it's different cycles...except we cycle through it about 4 or 5 times during sleep.
« Last Edit: March 1, 2006 06:42 pm CST by KoRo »

Dirk

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: March 1, 2006 06:39 pm CST »
Well as long as we're all pretending to be sleep experts, I saw a TV commercial about a bed that imrpoves sleep quality 33%.