Author Topic: [News Discussion] A Form of Flattery  (Read 6319 times)

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
[News Discussion] A Form of Flattery
« on: February 27, 2006 12:12 pm CST »
The following is a copy of the latest news post (2/27/2006) on pcrpg.org, echoed here for discussion:

A Form of Flattery
You know, they always seem to say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.  While this historically may or may not be true, I do know that it doesn't excite me.  If imitation is flattery, I'm apparently doing something very right, because...well, just look at this:

What the crap is up with this?  When did people wanting to host stop making up original names and just start copying me?  Rarely does something ever make me angry, but this situation is.  Three other people have totally stolen my server name--that I've used as an original for five years now--and just slapped their name on it instead.  Something needs to be done about this, but to whom can I turn?  There's nobody I can think of.  This is another case of the Internet's safe harbor for those that deserve it least.  It's always the good guy who gets the shaft--always the bad guy who gets away.  If anybody has some ideas, please let me know via email or the forum.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Particle »
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

Xenos

• Elvin Legion
    • http://www.baconcat.com
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006 12:26 pm CST »
I'm not sure if you are aware but more has been copied than the name. Sinisters server features the same bot name plus the same centuria and a ghettozone. Ghettozone bots are different but the zone is the same.

I did notice something over the weekend when the server was lagging horribly.  Dispite the horrible, almost unplayable lag particles server had 3 players. Sinisters lag free server had zero.

The copy cat name servers are just trying to leech off your popular name. The only option I can think of is to contact the server owners about the name.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Xenos »

Taurik

• I'll have a Tribes 1
  • Elvin Legion
    • http://www.Linneberg.com
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006 01:50 pm CST »
I would just ignore it. The only consistently popular, consistently online TRPG server in recent times has been PCRPG. Xenos had a point about the lag, too.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Taurik »

Kyrie

• Orb Member
  • Uber Menace
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006 02:56 pm CST »
Only one thing stops me from playing: the server being offline. And school. But only sometimes.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Kyrie »

WhoCouldIBe

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006 03:17 pm CST »
Quote from: "Kyrie"
Only one thing stops me from playing: the server being offline. And school. But only sometimes.

Not women? Social issues? Having fun? Normal everyday things? Work? Sleep? Eatting?.....

Great life you have!!

No? Kay then!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by WhoCouldIBe »

Please donate money to the starving and underprivilaged Coca-cola addicts of British Columbia.They have no money, bad clothes and a terrible diet, as shown in the above picture. Please please please help!Thank you.
Quote from: "Jeenyus"
Secondly, what the hell is a jog? I know the word job but not jog... As for a job, I have one and I earn money,

Kyrie

• Orb Member
  • Uber Menace
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006 03:20 pm CST »
afk
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Kyrie »

WhoCouldIBe

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006 04:02 pm CST »
Looks like paradoxs server is being hosted on a supercomputer :roll:

Please donate money to the starving and underprivilaged Coca-cola addicts of British Columbia.They have no money, bad clothes and a terrible diet, as shown in the above picture. Please please please help!Thank you.
Secondly, what the hell is a jog? I know the word job but not jog... As for a job, I have one and I earn money,

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006 04:36 pm CST »
It's really insulting that people are trying to leech off of my success by copying my server name, my features, etc.

As for lag, it isn't the computer.  It's the connection.
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

WhoCouldIBe

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2006 05:29 pm CST »
not trying to be a smartass part...but ....

How come the connection wasn't a problem for years :S :?

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2006 05:45 pm CST »
A varying amount of servers are hosted on this connection.  However, bandwidth may not be the issue at hand afterall.

KoRo

• Fat, Emo Robot
  • Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2006 05:55 pm CST »
Seeing particle looking around for help solving a problem is like saying 'Who watches the watchers?' At least you still have the v3.32 in there, and the shortended namesake. PCRPG just seems to roll off the tongue better than BCRPG or PDCRPG...and esspecially RCRPG
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by KoRo »

-ShaNNaRa-

• Orc Thrasher
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2006 06:02 pm CST »
Yes, SIN uses the same bot names, same zones, and even the same rules!  :lol:

http://wastelandrpg.14.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=9

Compare those to the PCRPG ones.. almost identical. (Both spell pack guarding as 'pack gaurding'. -=WASSUP Copy Paste!!!=-)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by -ShaNNaRa- »

Taurik

• I'll have a Tribes 1
  • Elvin Legion
    • http://www.Linneberg.com
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2006 06:23 pm CST »
Same zones = not true. His server has other zones that PCRPG does not. And there is talk over there about removing the centuria/ghettozone imitations.
alos sum otehr suggestions... get rid of Cent and Ghettozone and put in new custom zones by use... lets get more nd more away from parts... althou i will have to take a leep at parts and create some helper bot like GhettoBot but with different functions... and he wont be a levling helper but moreso a newbie guide...

The copy/paste of the rules is pretty funny though.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Taurik »

Xenos

• Elvin Legion
    • http://www.baconcat.com
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2006 06:38 pm CST »
Lol taurik who did you quote? Its almost like focus wrote that except there are no caps in it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Xenos »

KoRo

• Fat, Emo Robot
  • Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2006 07:03 pm CST »
It's probably their version of our Focus. It's like a parallel universe or something o.O
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by KoRo »