Blu-ray
3 (37.5%)
HD DVD
4 (50%)
DVD all the way
1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: May 3, 2006 11:23 pm CDT

Author Topic: Blu-ray or HD DVD  (Read 7132 times)

Bovidi

• Undead Hero
    • http://www.geocities.com/mygamepage101/orc
Blu-ray or HD DVD
« on: April 23, 2006 11:23 pm CDT »
If you had to pick which one would you want?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Bovidi »

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006 04:56 pm CDT »
The specs on the blu-ray discs themselves, especially in terms of protective layer thickness concern me.  HD-DVD dics have much thicker protective layers.  Additionally, blue lasers are more expensive and the density provided by a blu-ray disc doesn't escape what is possible using plain, cheap, and proven red laser technology.

If the density were significant compared to that of what is possible with red lasers and they showed more concern toward durability in general, I'd cast my vote for blu-ray.  Currently, I'm for HD-DVD.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Particle »
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

Bovidi

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006 05:06 pm CDT »
The current protective covering blu-ray technology might be thinner but it isn't use the same old cheaper protective coating that HD DVD and red laser DVD uses......in a test the blu-ray actually prevented against more scratches, fingerprints and dust collection than a regular DVD.

HD DVD uses blue lasers too it is just that the manufacturing of the discs only involve changing components of the DVD making equipment.  Although it is thought that when in mass production and after the initial setup of blu-ray disc factories the cost of making blu-ray will be about the same.

Oh and a blu-ray dual layer has a 50 GB storing capability compared to HD's 30 GB and blu-ray already has the working prototype of the eight layer 100 GB disc.

Vorter_X_

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006 05:12 pm CDT »
what bovidi said... i didnt want to go read an article but they said the same exact thing at g4 so i am game on the whole blue ray thing...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Vorter_X_ »

KoRo

• Fat, Emo Robot
  • Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006 05:51 pm CDT »
i dont know the differences between the three
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by KoRo »

Darwin

• Centurian Lord
    • http://www.mierda54.tripod.com
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006 05:53 pm CDT »
While I like the capacity of Blu-Ray, I would be afraid of being locked into a super-drm'ed-style form of media.  Could you even imagine Sony releasing a blu-ray burner to the masses?  Because I sure can't.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Darwin »

Vorter_X_

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006 05:58 pm CDT »
=D im thinkin about working for sony lol
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Vorter_X_ »

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006 06:40 pm CDT »
They've demonstrated that red lasers could achieve up to ~200GB on a single disc.  30-50GB with a blue laser is pathetic.
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

Bovidi

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006 09:32 pm CDT »
Although demonstrated if you use a blue laser you could have probably been able to get a lot more data.  Sure the companies who could afford the red laser thing might buy it but with blue ray it probably is more cost effective

Quote from: "Darwin"
While I like the capacity of Blu-Ray, I would be afraid of being locked into a super-drm'ed-style form of media.  Could you even imagine Sony releasing a blu-ray burner to the masses?  Because I sure can't.

While I originally thought this I think there will be a blu-ray burner to the masses...  The main reason why I say this is because Sony is allowing other companies to release stuff for it like here:

Quote from: "Panasonic"
Panasonic today announced that the company will introduce a half-height internal Blu-ray Disc (BD) drive for desktop computers in Japan on June 10, 2006. The LF-MB121JD BD drive, which can read and write single-layer and dual-layer BDs, is also fully backwards compatible with DVD-ROM/DVD±R/DVD±RW/DVD-RAM as well as CD-ROM/CD-R/CD-RW.

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006 12:01 am CDT »
Quote from: "Bovidi"
Although demonstrated if you use a blue laser you could have probably been able to get a lot more data.  Sure the companies who could afford the red laser thing might buy it but with blue ray it probably is more cost effective

While I originally thought this I think there will be a blu-ray burner to the masses...  The main reason why I say this is because Sony is allowing other companies to release stuff for it like here:

Quote from: "Panasonic"
Panasonic today announced that the company will introduce a half-height internal Blu-ray Disc (BD) drive for desktop computers in Japan on June 10, 2006. The LF-MB121JD BD drive, which can read and write single-layer and dual-layer BDs, is also fully backwards compatible with DVD-ROM/DVD±R/DVD±RW/DVD-RAM as well as CD-ROM/CD-R/CD-RW.

Blue laser technology costs a lot more.  Also, that's what I'm saying.  Blu-ray doesn't even match what red laser tech (which is more reliable and cheaper) can do.  So the whole concept is pointless unless they drastically improve its offerings.

Darwin

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006 01:12 am CDT »
Does anybody remember any of the news stories about how locked down the format would be?  DRM that punishes people?

I have lost trust in sony, and regret ever buying a psp.  Its not hate for the psp itself, but the rootkit fiasco that happened earlier this year.  Its turning into where Sony will own you should you buy their products.

Bovidi

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006 05:15 pm CDT »
Doesn't the red laser technology though that allows the 100 GB discs cost a fair amount though......like the blu-ray discs I was reading an article about and it was saying that not only is it more protective but the cost of manufacturing a disc is actually the same as a DVD but the only thing is is that there is no manufacturing equipment out there that will do it yet....just like when DVDs first came about their costs to make the equipment cost so much yet eventually it dropped.
Does anybody remember any of the news stories about how locked down the format would be? DRM that punishes people?

I have lost trust in sony, and regret ever buying a psp. Its not hate for the psp itself, but the rootkit fiasco that happened earlier this year. Its turning into where Sony will own you should you buy their products.

Yea I agree I have also lost faith in Sony but also I lost faith in major corporations yet I like how TDK is also in the blu-ray stuff because that means it isn't sony that is like total control.  And I like the concept that Microsoft backed HD DVD so I am totally against HD DVD's cause I really hate Microsoft because they do control everything it seems like.

Darwin

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2006 05:37 pm CDT »
Microsoft's favoring of HD-DVD doesnt faze me at all.  All they are stating is that they have chosen to support it because they feel it is the better format.  And I agree.  It is an improvement of the format, not some wild new thing.

To the PS3, sony is bringing too many new technologies to the table.  Cell, blu-ray, XDram (sp?)?  It is to ambitious, and I think it will fail.

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2006 06:58 pm CDT »
Not to mention LONG delayed.

Bovidi

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2006 10:46 pm CDT »
Microsoft's favoring of HD-DVD doesnt faze me at all.  All they are stating is that they have chosen to support it because they feel it is the better format.  And I agree.  It is an improvement of the format, not some wild new thing.

To the PS3, sony is bringing too many new technologies to the table.  Cell, blu-ray, XDram (sp?)?  It is to ambitious, and I think it will fail.

From what I have heard the HD DVD isn't actually the better format because the codec for BR and HD are the same kind it is just the cost factor but since they are still both new technologies they can still be quite expensive like one HD DVD player is going to cost $934 while the Blu-ray player that is comming out will be about $1000 and some will be higher.....so in that sence you are paying just a bit more for something that a dual layer and hold 1.66666 times more(50 GB vs 30 GB).

And I agree the PS3 has tried to bring to many tech. on it and I also agree that that really puts a big blemish on their record when I judge Blu-ray but then I look at Microsoft.....even thought they say HD is a supperior format I don't agree I think they were just going with what initially will be cheaper but then again look at Microsoft knowing the way they have things it will break down a lot like the Xbox 360 :)

So when it comes down to Blu-ray and HD DVD I would choose Blu-ray just because Blu-ray has a lot more companies behind it supporting it.(TDK, Pioneer, Sony and more)  Also I read in an article that some suspect that HD DVD's might suffer from being more brital than regular DVD's  but I don't know there isn't really proof of that yet.