Author Topic: HL2RPG Public Discussion  (Read 10495 times)

sin

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2006 11:55 pm CST »
I've got the teamspeak server installed.  It will be used for discussions mostly between the people that will be modding the HL2RPG, but players can also use it if they wish to.  If you dont have teamspeak, you can pick it up here.

http://www.goteamspeak.com/index.php?pa ... oads&id=1a

Then, once you have it installed, open the program up, look in the upper left corner and you will see a tab that says "connection".  Click on that.  Then Choose "quick connect".  You will be asked to put some information in such as

The IP address of the server

and

The Password
tribes

You should be in the server now.  Have fun with it.\

**note**

The password will change during Mod discussions and only the dev team will have access.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by sin »

sin

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2006 11:58 pm CST »
Quote from: "Lidge Farkley"
Obviously there are some bad-ass open areas in HL-2, but to what end is the implementation interested and how big are the maps, really..

http://collective.valve-erc.com/index.p ... 4774468800

sin

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2006 11:59 pm CST »
and can we make use of the loading system that exists with the HL2 engine? (you load up areas as you walk in to them on huge areas; effectively loading a new map, but only for a few second pause)

I think using the loading system between zones would be fine.  I dont think it could be abused.

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2006 12:00 am CST »
I don't think we can use it very effectively in multiplayer.

And yeah--maps have huge potential.  One layer alone would be as big as the tribes map or better at normal scale.  If we drop it down to where a player is four units high, we'd have roughly four times the playable area of even that, plus layering of up to say four different terrain maps.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006 12:04 am CST by Particle »
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

Kyrie

• Orb Member
  • Uber Menace
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2006 12:03 am CST »
can we make use of the loading system that exists with the HL2 engine? (you load up areas as you walk in to them on huge areas; effectively loading a new map, but only for a few second pause)  

Isn't that a single player thing? It wouldn't work as well on a multiplayer server (if at all). At least, not in an FPS setting. For an RPG, if individual zones could be contained in that way, interesting possibilities arise.

There's also the possibility of a multi-server mod. Is this going to be a released mod that anyone can download and host? I doubt that, given Particle's desire to hoard his code to himself and not share it with the world. :P
Personally, I'd prefer it not to be released that way. Instead, you could create a mod that spans across two (or more) servers. Say one server has half the map, the other server holds the next half of the map. Similar to Sinister's mod. It could allow more than a server's limit of people to play the mod at once. Beginners could start on either of the servers. That opens up the possibility of an interesting player vs player (server vs server) setup.
This multi-server setup has already been done and they've even managed to make it so you can 'global talk' across all linked servers simultaneously.

I've been looking around at what other HL2 RPGs (multiplayer) have accomplished, and really, they're crap. Their leveling is based on shooting at bots or other players for EXP. Then you specialize in a weapon or two as you level. You can gain skills like magic, although I'm not sure what they do.

There are a few single player RPG-ish mods that I haven't tried out, yet. They seem to follow the traditional 'hack'n'slash spell slinger' RPG more closely.

Other topics I've been thinking about and would like to see discussed:
Player vs Player; Make it fair for low levels who wish to 'just level' but allow higher levels to have a fun time with it against other high levels (and willing low levels).
Reputation; I think it'd be cool if your actions against other players, and the places that you do it, can come back to bite you.
Quests; More of the typical WoW-style quests, not the FREE EXP PACKS IF YOU KNOW HOW TO WALK quests. Maybe we can attain a comfortable mix of TribesRPG slashing to level and WoW Questing to level.
Administrative Content; I think I mentioned this before, but I think it's really important. If you give admins the ability to create content on their own (like in good ol' TribesRPG) you really take a load of work off the mod developers. Admins can continually bring fresh new things to the server while developers can take their time creating the really big content updates and various bug fixes. A Garry's Mod sort of set-up is interesting; Been playing that a lot recently, it's just so awesome.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Kyrie »

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2006 12:06 am CST »
I forget who mentioned it originally (months ago), but a lua system for HL2RPG would be a good thing of course.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Particle »
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

sin

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2006 12:14 am CST »
Here's an interesting site i found.  :)

http://www.msremake.com/

Kyrie

• Orb Member
  • Uber Menace
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2006 12:14 am CST »
I only first ran into LUA when I started looking at Source mods. It's an outside language that can be easily 'plugged in' to other applications to allow more functionality?

sin

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2006 12:19 am CST »

Kyrie

• Orb Member
  • Uber Menace
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2006 12:51 am CST »
Yeah, I read that. I was just making sure I understood correctly. It sounds like a cool thing.

Kyrie

• Orb Member
  • Uber Menace
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2006 09:13 am CST »
Quote from: "Particle"
We need to setup a voice conf with you, me, and a select group of people who are qualified to discuss gameplay before we do anything development-wise.

You want to set up a date/time for this? Maybe contact a few people and invite them, see what kind of turnout you get, really start moving forward.

sin

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2006 01:18 pm CST »
I'm thinking after Thanksgiving.  That way everyone will be high on turkey and yams. :)

DGen

• Goblin Pup
(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2006 01:34 pm CST »
Quote from: "sin"

The password will change during Mod discussions and only the dev team will have access.

Instead of restricting the whole server you could just make a passworded channel.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by DGen »

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2006 02:17 pm CST »
Sounds good to me.  How about that Friday night?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Particle »

sin

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2006 06:16 pm CST »
I'm going to Mississippi and Louisiana and wont be back until Saturday night.