Author Topic: Gaming while at School  (Read 2186 times)

RedneckNoob

• PCRPG Admins
  • Elvin Legion
Gaming while at School
« on: February 22, 2007 04:00 pm CST »
I was wondering if someone might be able to help me.  I am in highschool, and have a class that I am always on the computer in that I always finish work quickly in.  We keep trying to store demos on the school servers to play over the network and all of our hidden copies keep getting found and deleted.  We also have FCC filters so we can't really get past it other ways.  Does anyone know a method we could use to get around this?  I can not stand sitting in a classroom for an hour when I have nothing else to do in it.

One idea I was thinking is that I get an ftp that the FCC won't know about and put one of the small demos on it.  Then download it onto the server every time it's deleted.  I don't know what I should do.

Btw I'm in that class right now posting this.  You won't just be helping me, you'll be helping every kid who has a business class at this school.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by RedneckNoob »

Record number of Star Wars references in a single day: 94
Record number of Star Trek references in a single day: 62

Das Weib war der zweite Fehlgriff Gottes.  -Friedrich Nietzsche

villman420

• Minotaur Rager
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007 04:06 pm CST »
put tribes on a flashdrive?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by villman420 »

Xenos

• Elvin Legion
    • http://www.baconcat.com
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007 04:15 pm CST »
Get back to class before I revoke your computer privileges.

If your copies are being found you are lucky that you haven't gotten in trouble yet.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Xenos »

RedneckNoob

• PCRPG Admins
  • Elvin Legion
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007 07:21 pm CST »
They have no clue who's doing it.  I'm not the only one.  We have like 20 other people trying to do this.  Plus, I'm only helping them learn to improve their censorship.  I mean even the teachers plays this stuff with us.  Also, it's not just for me, it's for everyone at the school.

Also, you couldn't revoke my computer priviledges because the entire class is done on computer :P.  It's "Advanced Computer Applications."  Which means it's learning how to use Microsoft Office LOL.

bungle

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007 08:25 pm CST »
Quote from: "villman420"
put tribes on a flashdrive?

Or if you're too cheap put it on a cd and run it off that. :P
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by bungle »
"If you dont like it, go play kirby air ride."

Xenos

• Elvin Legion
    • http://www.baconcat.com
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007 09:42 pm CST »
Quote from: "RedneckNoob"
They have no clue who's doing it.  I'm not the only one.  We have like 20 other people trying to do this.  Plus, I'm only helping them learn to improve their censorship.  I mean even the teachers plays this stuff with us.  Also, it's not just for me, it's for everyone at the school.

Also, you couldn't revoke my computer priviledges because the entire class is done on computer :P.  It's "Advanced Computer Applications."  Which means it's learning how to use Microsoft Office LOL.

There are high schools who would revoke computer privileges even if you had a class that was all on a computer. Instant failure.

If they can't tell who is doing it then they have unskilled admins.  It takes less time to prevent you from putting unauthorized files there than it does to keep deleting them.  That skill level is typical for a public school though.

I would recommend putting it on a flash drive and copying it to the server every class. Its probably the fastest way to get it to everyone.  The ftp option should work unless they block any protocols except http(does aim work over standard ports)?  The downside to that is the time to download and if you set up your own ftp at home you need good bandwidth.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Xenos »

RedneckNoob

• PCRPG Admins
  • Elvin Legion
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007 11:01 pm CST »
Well we have a "free user area" specificly for that.  It's also for teacher use and malarkey.  That's where we store it.  They also wouldn't get me in trouble, the teacher would get in trouble, but we never got caught.  Also, I don't have a flashdrive or I would.  I had something around 20 different locations to hide it and they were all found.  I'm thinking this time I should try renaming the file, editing the publisher, and giving it new icons.  Stuff like that might help.