Author Topic: I got banned.  (Read 17222 times)

sin

• Undead Hero
I got banned.
« on: March 10, 2007 08:32 pm CST »
Since I cant post in the Doghouse forum, I'll do it here.  

1.  We weren't trying to crash the server when we came in and spammed.
2.  If I had been trying to crash the server, it would've crashed.  Corona knows that I have the ability to do so.
3.  Per the server rules:

Section 1, Subsection A - Spam

Spam.  Spamming the global channel is the most annoying spam that you can possibly do.  It annoys most people, and as said earlier:  "Nobody likes that meat."  (Well, seriously, I don't mind the Hormel meat product.)  By spam, I mean repetitions of the same word or phrase repeated at short intervals on any mode of communication except for #say (in some cases only).  If somebody wants to repeat themselves, then they should wait a respectable amount of time for replies and then try again.  I am going to ask that people wait at least 30 seconds (a very decent amount) for replies and then try again if they wish.  The only exception to this will be in a special event such as "I made it! Woohoo!" (excitement) to where three repetitions will be allowed at short intervals.  This should not be used in conjunction with the general spam rule to where they repeat multiple lines at short intervals every 30 seconds.  Also, if you are getting nowhere with your repeats, then stop asking.  If you must need a limit, then consider 6 repetitions the absolute maximum within a 15 minute period.  Also, be aware that this 15 minute period starts at your first statement.  Abuse to where you try and "stack" periods in order to obtain 11 repetitions will not be tolerated and will be punished first by a warning.  Should you persist, the general spam punishments listed below will take effect.

Spam Punishment
1st Offense:  A general warning to discontinue may be issued.
2nd Offense:  A jail period of 2-10 minutes as a general guideline.
3rd Offense:  A jail period of 5-15 minutes as a general guideline.
4th Offense:  Player will be jailed and fined for an amount as seen fit by the admin.  Muting is also an option.

I believe you skipped over all the rules and just made your own rule up.  I expect this to be resolved in a timely manner.  Thank you.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by sin »

Kyrie

• Orb Member
  • Uber Menace
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007 09:03 pm CST »
5 players entering a server and running spam scripts certainly looks like an attempt to crash, especially when they use names like 'Illl111IIlll1' to make it harder for admins/pks to take action. Luckily we have scripts so we don't have to muck about guessing which characters are i's, 1's and l's.

If you weren't trying to crash the server, what was your intent? Lag it down so players leave? Annoy players into leaving?

I considered your actions an attack on the server and took the actions I felt necessary to protect the server. I alerted Particle of my actions within moments of the attack and he showed no disproval of the bans.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Kyrie »

sin

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007 03:10 am CDT »
Well, that's all good, but let it be known that it wasn't a crash attack.  It was just a wake-up call to all the afkers in Particle land.  :P

Also, it gave you a chance to flex your admin muscles a bit, yes?  Trust me when I say that it was not ill intentions that drove us to this action, but pure tomfoolery.

Xenos

• Elvin Legion
    • http://www.baconcat.com
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007 06:26 am CDT »
The "official rules" have always been changed at will by admins.  In this case it was good they banned someone trying to be a jackass.  I missed the whole thing cause I was afk. :)

The moment tomfoolery causes harm to the server (crash,lagging,trying either) it is not funny to anyone and should be considered malicious.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Xenos »

Celtic16

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007 06:34 am CDT »
you've admitted to crashing the server a number of times. Live with it, enjoy your ban! VAV
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Celtic16 »

Vorter_X_

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2007 10:03 am CDT »
Wtf does vav mean?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Vorter_X_ »

sin

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2007 10:25 am CDT »
It means "I'm a racist mick with a huge head"

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2007 10:26 am CDT »
I think you miss the entire point of rules to begin with.  If everybody played fairly and refrained interfering with other players' gaming experiences, we would need no rules.  The entire rules page can be summed up by a simple phrase:  "Don't be a jerk."

I think spamming falls into that category regardless of intent.  As a server operator, I would think you'd be more mature than you've shown on quite a few occasions.  I don't go into your server and exploit or crash it, nor do I bother the players that patron it.  I don't usually do anything about obvious recruitment efforts either.  You're older than I, so you should be an icon for maturity and integrity more than myself.  Why am I frequently reminded that this is not the case?  Boredom, jealousy, malice, revenge for something, or just plain twisted entertainment?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Particle »
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

Sako

• Elvin Legion
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2007 12:42 pm CDT »
Quote from: "Vorter_X_"
Wtf does vav mean?

How'd That Feel?  ( if I remember well )

- What was the utility of spaming our server, Sinister?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Sako »

sin

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2007 04:01 pm CDT »
We were all on Teamspeak and thought it would be funny to do something as a group.  It was just for laughs, nothing more.

*note* You gotta be prepared for this kinda attention when you're number 1.  Dont you think Tom Cruise gets tons of prank calls and attention?

Xenos

• Elvin Legion
    • http://www.baconcat.com
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2007 05:17 pm CDT »

Just ban the whole group of them. Problem solved.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Xenos »

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2007 06:20 pm CDT »
Quote from: "sin"
We were all on Teamspeak and thought it would be funny to do something as a group.  It was just for laughs, nothing more.

*note* You gotta be prepared for this kinda attention when you're number 1.  Dont you think Tom Cruise gets tons of prank calls and attention?

You think that releases you from your responsibility for you own actions?  How old are you?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Particle »
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

sin

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2007 06:23 pm CDT »
I guess you better perma-ban me then for having a few laughs.  And it might be a good idea to ban my ISP while you're at it.  Wardriving with a laptop and a crash script could be fun.

I'm 28.  I dont see how you guys trying to berate me will improve "your" positions.  I guess I'll just have to show you what I'm capable of and see if you STFU then.

bungle

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2007 06:34 pm CDT »
Quote from: "sin"
I guess you better perma-ban me then for having a few laughs.  And it might be a good idea to ban my ISP while you're at it.  Wardriving with a laptop and a crash script could be fun.

I'm 28.  I dont see how you guys trying to berate me will improve "your" positions.  I guess I'll just have to show you what I'm capable of and see if you STFU then.

lawl
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by bungle »
"If you dont like it, go play kirby air ride."

plasma

• Orc Thrasher
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2007 07:09 pm CDT »
why could you not have been one of those emo kids that kills themselves?       too bad.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by plasma »