Author Topic: Shields  (Read 8351 times)

Fusor

• Undead Hero
Shields
« on: March 29, 2003 12:13 am CST »
How do I make it so that my shield doesn't take up most of my screen and block my view? I can barely aim/see in first person view with a shield  :?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Fusor »

UnderGod

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2003 12:57 am CST »
Then don't use them...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by UnderGod »
"The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world"

Silvanoshei

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2003 11:31 am CST »
Copy and rename all of your ruby[1-3].dts files to shield[1-3].dts
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Silvanoshei »

The DoDoDo.

Your opinion is worthless unless you can support it.
We are not responsible for your stupidity.
I don't take sides. I take action.

Currently Playing:  Warcraft III [PC]

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2003 11:32 am CST »
It's really kinda cheap to replace your shields with something you can't see.  Your vision was meant to be blocked as a consequence of your getting extra protection.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Particle »
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

Fusor

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2003 11:34 am CST »
thanks

EVIL_INC

• Elvin Legion
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2003 11:37 am CST »
Sheilds dont block your vision that way in real life. I find it to be VERY unrealistic. Now, unless the helmets are specified at being open visered, THEY would block your vision that way but not the shields, even if they were greatsheilds they wouldnt.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by EVIL_INC »
The only original member of the server still active and the staunchest supporter of the administration and Particle's rules.
4th in doghouse. Last in actual server and forum rules broken.
Quote from: HUBBA
I kinda miss Evil's lengthy post.

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2003 11:45 am CST »
What makes you think TRPG is a realism mod?
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

EVIL_INC

• Elvin Legion
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2003 12:00 pm CST »
LOL. your right there. I shoulda realized that when I saw it classified a roman gladius as a piercing weapon rather than a slashing one. :lol:
The only original member of the server still active and the staunchest supporter of the administration and Particle's rules.

UnderGod

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2003 12:33 pm CST »
Actually, WHen you block incomming attacks with your shield, it DOES block your view.

Tower shields would allways block your view unless you had it on your side.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by UnderGod »
"The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world"

Razore

• Centurian Lord
    • http://chaoko.tripod.com
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2003 01:02 pm CST »
I think a Gladius is a dagger.....
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Razore »

xRazorex: Yo
BlAcKIcE398: wtf u got me killed newb
BlAcKIcE398: block
BlAcKIcE398 signed off at 3:49:05 PM.

Fusor

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2003 01:59 pm CST »

Khorne

• Elvin Legion
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2003 03:29 pm CST »
Depending on the size of the shield yes irl it would block your view. But the size of the Dscale is not big enough to block. Why? because who says you all allways guarding your head from attacks?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Khorne »
When two remain, so does the war, one must fall for there to be a reckoning.

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2003 04:56 pm CST »
The gladius was mainly used by gladiators (go figure... names) and was a very effective stabbing weapon.  In fact, most kills by that weapon were from quick jabs rather than slashes.  That's why they're short.

EVIL_INC

• Elvin Legion
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2003 07:15 pm CST »
I suppose that if your a short person a larger shield such as a tower shield would block your vision for short periods while you raised it to protect from head attacks. the majority of the time though, it would be held "at ready" or lower to protect from the much more comman body attacks.
The gladius was a decent stabbing weapon but a MUCH more effective slashing weapon. One reason for this was that it lacked a blood groove. This meant that once it was stabbed into someone, the suction made extraction a difficult endeavor which left you open to attacks. true, gladiators used it in the arena, but it saw MUCH more use on the battlefield. This is becaus it was a variation on the greek hoplite. When a legion or any smaller section of it moved, they moved in unisen so that even their steps were in time. It is no wonder that it is said the very ground would tremble at the approach of the legions. this is because of the weight of thousands of feet hitting the ground at once. the ranks were so close together that by block with the shield and slashing with the sword was the most effective manner.
as a side note, the gladiators armed with the partial armor and gladius lost 7 out of 10 times to the ratarius who was armed with the net and trident. This was because the gladius was generally a poor one on one weapon. Maybe this is why most gladiators were not armed with them. they are just most often pictured as this because the gladius is most often associated with rome and the arenas with rome as well. this leads to people mispercieving the gladius as being the only weapon used by romans in any way.
Of course, the 2 polearms would have been spent on the way into grips. one a heavy long spear, the other, the pilus, had a long thin metal shaft the could be bent to deprive an opponant of their sheild and allow the legionare to just slash them open.
I have been using and studying ancient weapons since 1983 and for the last 5 years, have taken carefull notes on the historians who have studied this from the historical perspective. previously, i had done some historical studying on my own with a LOT of actual practice to see what would actually work firsthand.

EVIL_INC

• Elvin Legion
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2003 07:17 pm CST »
LOL I may suck at coding and be a piss poor tribes player but ancient weapons and their use IS my strong point that I actually have a working firsthand knowledge of.  :D