Poll

Should we clear to revitalize the server?

Yes (I would continue/start playing again)
21 (55.3%)
Yes (But I will be leaving)
2 (5.3%)
No (But I will start over and play)
6 (15.8%)
No (And I will leave if cleared)
9 (23.7%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Voting closed: January 31, 2008 04:37 pm CST

Author Topic: Dun dun dun dunnnnnn! (*whispers* Should we clear?)  (Read 36226 times)

Arf

• Arf The Legend
  • Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #120 on: December 4, 2007 06:41 pm CST »
OK OK OK OK I have finally come to the conclusion that I have to change my vote to NO CLEAR!!!

I will explain... I talked myself out of it by showing just how few changes are necessary with the current map and world economic system to revitalize the excitement in the server...

Morf's Village...  a great place for continuing development of quests and challenges...

The Colosseum...  a competition arena for bashing, sword fights and spear/archery battles...  

still to come?  The Crucible (Ot's challenge)  still on the drawing board but it will something like you have never seen and will challenge even the best players...

so what's my point?

my point is that I didn't do it all by myself...  Hubba, Rose,  and rj were very instrumental in feeding me ideas, editing my scripts and helping me test them...  

I am very proud to see the n00bs and lower rl's running along side the gods and supergods during these quests and challenges and having fun...  

imagine that...

fun on the server...  what a novel idea...

I am particularly addicted to the compliments and the laurels that i receive for making these things possible.  

so what's keeping you from doing the same thing?  

One day i hope to see Morf's village and The Colosseum as permanent additions to the server...  Maybe thats what we need to do... quit whining about what isn't or what could or should be and get all those ideas out, dust them off and lets make them a reality... make them fun...  we can encourage Particle to make the changes we want by showing him we are willing to work for it...  

or we could just continue to debate it ...  anyway...

Corona...  CHANGE MY VOTE TO NO...  NO CLEAR!!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Arf »
In Particle We Trust...

The Goal is not so important as the journey that takes you there....

Corona

• Elvin Legion
    • http://www.Linneberg.com
(No subject)
« Reply #121 on: December 5, 2007 06:32 am CST »
Vote tally post is now on Page 12
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007 07:45 am CST by Corona »

kharandhil

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #122 on: December 6, 2007 08:09 am CST »
EHm I was thinking....can't particle just make another server and leave this server alone?
and see the statistics?
even if its for 2 or 3 months...just to see if a clear is the right thing to do....
I would continue playing if there wasnt a clear...I just lov my bored

but i'll be too pissed if i lose him...that's why I quit for some weeks...and why I'll probably quit here and there...But I doubt I'll come back like I used to. I know for sure that the server will have even less players after it's cleared. This clear will just make whats inevitable worse....

I really think updates are useless....to have a better game the best solution would be to just create a completely new game. Face it the game is too far away from being perfect and all the errors and imperfections can't possibly be fixed.

I also presume that creating a completely new game is impossible for particle as it takes way too much time, as he doesn't have the time or will (and probably the money and people)
This whole game got too old and nothing can be done about nobody playin it anymore....it will be very freaky if somebody still plays in 10 years...lol

Then again I found a motivation to play ....
I got to a kinda high rl and the only thing I wanted to achieve was rl 3000 and have my other char to lvl 1500 for fun (but this didn't rly matter to me it was pure fun and not rly wanted like beign rl 3000)
being rl 1300 is pretty useless as you keep remorting as easely as you kill a bot (relatively speaking). So I guess even rl 1000 was pretty boring and I had pretty much achieved what I wanted. I gues it could be fun to play again if there was a significant amount of changes on the mod...cuz it would be kinda boring to redo everything and have particle say CLEAR whenever I'm back to rl 2000. Why not just make the game a lil more exciting? LIke putting a bounty automaticly when you reach rl 100? and for gods sake the houses shouldn't be all the same but have some sort of advantage...

well in any case I might come once a year to check the game out but I doubt I'll even get to speak to a lot of players if the whole game goes wrong like it's about to go.

Best thing would be to make changes....but to the server we have now. It would make more people come for sure. There are tons of ways to make the life of the big rl gods meaningless. A spell that kills in one shot no matter what rls or hp would changes everything. Things like that besides more map/game changes will make everything way better for sure.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by kharandhil »
Je vous encule tous!

Dyre

• Gnoll Fighter
(No subject)
« Reply #123 on: December 6, 2007 10:51 am CST »
With any significant changes, a clear would be unavoidable for compatibility reasons.

The main thing I'd like to see, is a system that makes AFK leveling impossible, or simply not feasible.  I've got a few ideas there, but they all have their own problems.

One of the better ideas forces players to grab the dropped pack to obtain the experience.  That coupled with a lower survivability for players (so they can't tank indefinitely) could make afk leveling impossible.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Dyre »
My job is done here!

*woosh*

Kyrie

• Orb Member
  • Uber Menace
(No subject)
« Reply #124 on: December 6, 2007 12:51 pm CST »
Quote from: "Dyre"
One of the better ideas forces players to grab the dropped pack to obtain the experience.  That coupled with a lower survivability for players (so they can't tank indefinitely) could make afk leveling impossible.

I wrote a pack collect script to collect claymores in Uber while afk.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Kyrie »

Dyre

• Gnoll Fighter
(No subject)
« Reply #125 on: December 6, 2007 01:48 pm CST »
Quote from: "Kyrie"
I wrote a pack collect script to collect claymores in Uber while afk.
Quote from: "Dyre"
That coupled with a lower survivability for players (so they can't tank indefinitely) could make afk leveling impossible.
My job is done here!

*woosh*

Kyrie

• Orb Member
  • Uber Menace
(No subject)
« Reply #126 on: December 6, 2007 03:00 pm CST »
Autopotion, armor, autohealing, etc

Dyre

• Gnoll Fighter
(No subject)
« Reply #127 on: December 6, 2007 04:15 pm CST »
And those all can easily be worked around.  

-Healing magic could be changed so that it takes several seconds to cast, but is more effective overall.  If you're attacked or move at all (even a miss), it interrupts the cast.  In fact, a spell could even fizzle on a player that's being healed if they're attacked, to prevent a second player from helping someone AFK level.

-Potions could have a cool down between uses, but also be more effective in general.  They could regenerate you a few points per second over 30 seconds or so, but be interrupted by being attacked.

-With a max HP and regeneration rate from healing, you could easily prevent the same scenario.

Like I said, there's problems with all of my ideas, but a bit of thinking could help work around that.  Another addition could be to require players to "rest" every few hours.  After two or three hours, they'd have to return to a town, go to a specific NPC, and that will reset their timer.  The timer could basically consist of 1000 points that tick off one every 10 seconds.  Those points are constant, so reconnecting won't reset them, just the ten second timer.  If the timer gets all the way to zero, they become unable to use any weapons or skills (except maybe transport).

So if anyone is actually clever enough to get around the original suggestions, they'd still have to be at the computer every once in awhile to continue leveling.
My job is done here!

*woosh*

Kyrie

• Orb Member
  • Uber Menace
(No subject)
« Reply #128 on: December 6, 2007 04:53 pm CST »
These are all nice ideas, but it just comes back to my original point: none of them will EVER be incorporated. That's the main problem.

Lots and lots of great ideas have been proposed over the past few years, and how many have been implemented? The only significant server side change we've seen in all that time was the addition of a single new zone.

Those kinds of ideas will require a fairly heavy mod update, the kind of update that won't happen. There's no historical precedence that suggests that that kind of update is going to occur, and full historical precedence shows that it won't.
I had the same kinds of ideas when this vote first came up, over a month ago, and I was full for the clear, assuming such changes were going to happen. Since then, I've observed the way things appear to be heading and changed my vote to no clear.

Let's assume, for a moment, that none of these important changes occur. What are the benefits of clearing? Aside from making everyone start all over, what does it actually do?

JayJay

• Elvin Legion
(No subject)
« Reply #129 on: December 6, 2007 09:14 pm CST »
T2RPG was pretty fun, too bad no one ever played or tried it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by JayJay »

Xenos

• Elvin Legion
    • http://www.baconcat.com
(No subject)
« Reply #130 on: December 7, 2007 08:45 pm CST »
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Xenos »

Fwee

• Goblin Pup
(No subject)
« Reply #131 on: December 8, 2007 11:05 am CST »
I'm all for a clear. I'm one of those who has never made it past RL 10, because of the gods and supergods constantly getting in my way (AFKing in decent zones, mugging, mimic killing, killing in general, shoving offmap... The list is endless).

Anti-AFK stuff would be necessary. Something which requires a random code to be said every few minutes, made in such a way that an AFK script couldn't get around it. Anti-AFK stuff could also include faster, more dangerous fights with bots (At level one, you can kill the weakest enemy in 4-5 hits, but it kills you in 1-3), which perhaps could have a lunging/hopping ability to prevent getting stuck in stupid places *points at Mino Lair*

A generic class would probably work pretty well. SP could be removed, and skills would be trained entirely by using them (much faster training than what it currently is, though). A character's class and skill increase rate would be defined by how often that general type of skill is used. Attributes could be used instead of that, too, would affect the speed at which the player trains certain skills (STR+DEX=Slash,STR=Bludge,DEX=Pierce, etc.), and would be determined by what kinds of skills the player uses. Endurance or strength would be trained by running or fighting, for instance, wheras Inteligence and Wisdom would be trained with magic skills and reading (Perhaps add a library?). Attributes, skill levels, and player level could work together for weapon, armor, and spell restrioctions.

Remorting could probably be removed, and be replaced with a much slower leveling system, up to level 999, at which point the char could restart, but keep all of their stuff. Many more zones and emeies would have to be added, though, for this to work.

Items should be smithable for free, rather than having to pay a smith to make them for you. A master blacksmith could, however, be paid to make some of the more difficult to make items. Mined items, rare items, and armor could probably use the same system as SINISTER's Belt system, and allow more weapons and accessories to be added (200 itemData limit on Tribes :< ). The resale rate should probably be MUCH higher than 8% of the original price, too, since making money is hard as hell for newbies with no Haggling skill.

Any comments on the above ideas would be appreciated. Please keep it somewhat polite, though, since I'm only trying to give a few suggestions for how I think a TRPG server would work the best.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Fwee »

Arf

• Arf The Legend
  • Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #132 on: December 8, 2007 04:06 pm CST »
FWEE , Dyre, Evil_Inc, and all the other anti-AFK players...  

you need to really update your perspective about this game and this server...  the ideas you presented are old, antiquated and without any logical application to this game as it would require a complete mod change to implement, and it seems it would be a step backward towards board gaming in order to force players to physically play a virtual reality game.  

The idea of forcing all players to take the same path and follow the same methods without having any room for individualistic game play  is ludicrous...  I still think that the negative approach of what to take away from this game and how to restrict players from playing is more detrimental to the life of the game and the server...  

Are you so jealous, envious and resentful of these so called supergods... that you want to destroy what they have created?  Why?  Because you couldnt?  I happen to be one of those SuperGods... and i became a supergod the same way everybody else playes the game... grinding out the levels day in and day out...  putting up with the muggings and killings and utter disrespect...  and I am an admin and i still have to put up with it...  instead of choking the life out of the game by taking things away...  why not play more... levle up ONE character...  instead of three or four... and create a SuperGod of your own and then  maybe you would understand and appreciate the effort it takes to make one...  or is that the problem... you dont want to work for it?    I just cant figure it out...  i guess my brainworkings are lame...  or is it?   only my dentist will know for sure
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Arf »
In Particle We Trust...

The Goal is not so important as the journey that takes you there....

Fwee

• Goblin Pup
(No subject)
« Reply #133 on: December 8, 2007 06:11 pm CST »
I don't think that there's any enjoyment in about 99% of the AFKing that players(gah, AFKers I mean) do, since they're not there to do it.

I'm not suggesting that players take the same path. I'm suggesting that the path a player takes is entirely dependant upon how they choose to play. Swing a weapon, get stronger. Cast a spell or read a book, get smarter. Skills and attributes would be based on how the players played, rather than a set thing. It would be even less individualistic than it is now, as the possibilities would be almost endless for how people play the game.

As for updating my perspective about the game and server, Well... I believe I have.
As I said before editing this post (This is directed at AFKers who think that they're actually doing something while AFKing all week long, when in fact they're probably watching TV), if you're too lazy to work for something in a video game, then you're pretty pathetic.
« Last Edit: December 9, 2007 09:56 am CST by Fwee »

Dyre

• Gnoll Fighter
(No subject)
« Reply #134 on: December 9, 2007 03:02 am CST »
My main problem with AFK play is quite simple, it punishes the low level players.  Is it really ridiculous for me to think that a player should actually be playing?  I think it's a complete joke that people would actually have a problem with the idea.  Of course, I've known people that have "played" project quest for a month straight.  I'm one of the guys that let it run for a day, laughed at the idea, and never started it up again.

I understand that it would take a bit of coding to implement what I suggested.  I'm not even saying that it will, or should be done.  I was simply pointing out that it's quite possible to prevent the AFK play that goes on, with changes that would actually be quite minor.

The reason why you'll see me disappear for a month at a time is because I get bored.  I feel like I've done everything there is to do in the game now that I've hit god status, and playing even more feels too tedius and redundant.  I'd still be poking my head in now and then, but I've already said why I'm not around right now.

Look, if the majority of players want to be able to AFK everything, then let's make them happy, but allow players that want to actually play to be able to.  It wouldn't even require much coding.  Just toss in a zone that awards any player above RL 40 in it 100 xp every ten seconds.  It would be less stupid than what's going on now.  You'll be able to "play" exactly the same way as you do now, but allow the real players to actually play.
My job is done here!

*woosh*