Poll

Should we clear to revitalize the server?

Yes (I would continue/start playing again)
21 (55.3%)
Yes (But I will be leaving)
2 (5.3%)
No (But I will start over and play)
6 (15.8%)
No (And I will leave if cleared)
9 (23.7%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Voting closed: January 31, 2008 04:37 pm CST

Author Topic: Dun dun dun dunnnnnn! (*whispers* Should we clear?)  (Read 34769 times)

HUBBA

• Elvin Legion
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: November 2, 2007 08:25 pm CDT »
I am kinda torn on the subject.
If there are things that are going to change the server for the better, then   I am for it.

Couple of changes I would like to see is to fix some of the problems that we have in the server.

1. AFK people tend to go afk then gripe, complain or start trouble when the character is messed with. They also seem to hog the zone and ruin the experience for others that are not  afk.  If there is something coded that prevents this, there will be less of a problem with overcrowding in the zones.

2. Double Logging. I don't think people should be able to double log. This has always been a problem in the past and with people going afk it tends to be even more of a problem. Not only do they have one character afk but they have 2.

3. I think overkilling should be prevented also. There should be a limit on targeting or killing. That would prevent a lot of the problems with people overkilling, and 90 percent of the admins problems.

Here are some concerns with players that I have talked to in the server:
What is the reason for the clear?
Is there going to be changes implemented into the server?
Will I be able to keep my same character?
Will there be new weapons?
New character classes?
Are the Admins going to change?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by HUBBA »

KoRo

• Fat, Emo Robot
  • Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: November 2, 2007 10:18 pm CDT »
Quote from: "HUBBA"
2. Double Logging. I don't think people should be able to double log. This has always been a problem in the past and with people going afk it tends to be even more of a problem. Not only do they have one character afk but they have 2.
I agree with this almost more than anything else you said.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by KoRo »

Xanth

• Minotaur Rager
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: November 2, 2007 11:21 pm CDT »
Quote from: "EVIL_INC"
I stand ---extra stuff deleted for clearity --- Mugging, it it possible to make it so that you have to type in the character's name you are mugging rather then just mug? This way, you could have it set so that the server itself can prevent you from exceeding the mug limit of 2 per 30 minute per victom. -- more bla bla bla here...

Truth to tell, I am not the active player I was so dont take my suggestion to heart too closely. I am just popping out ideas that I saw/see when I play.

If your not an active player, SHUT UP!
Play you wuss!

Valid helping.  I voted yes for the clear.  I personally would rather see the engine modified for HL2.  I love SQL and I will map.  Bring it on Particle :)

Oh, yea, nice to see you too! LOL!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Xanth »

Currently playing BF2
(Name: Xanth-911 ) BooYa!!

KoRo

• Fat, Emo Robot
  • Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: November 3, 2007 03:20 am CDT »
FYI I know some really good 3d modelers over on the Infinity: TQFE forums who I could probably convince to make a few weapon models for PCRPG: Source. As long as we provide some good enough sketches, they would be able to do it very quickly.

In fact, until Infinity comes out, some people are really looking for some good, free online games to play and pass the time. This could potentially be just what they're looking for.

Kyrie

• Orb Member
  • Uber Menace
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: November 3, 2007 09:06 am CDT »
Koro send me a message in game/msn.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Kyrie »

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: November 3, 2007 04:36 pm CDT »
Koro, we're discussing an update to Tribes, not HL2.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Particle »
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

kharandhil

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: November 3, 2007 10:58 pm CDT »
I'm not sure if I can continue playing the game. I'm very busy with my studies and saw the afk thing as a way to choose whenever I wanted to come back but still be a lil stronger. Reason why I would probably quit is because I don't have that much time to put into any game. Tribes was easy to play and fun to chat on. Maybe I still might come back, but frankly speaking I have other games where I would rather play than playing a completely new pcrpg. Well the new pcrpg should be really interesting for em to play it...and truth is...this version is interesting and that's why I keep playing it. In the end all games are doomed to stop having fans, especially internet games. With all the new games coming out, it's always less interesting to play very old games. (Do you really think that tribes might still be played online in 50 years?)  This game might not or might be changed a lot, but in any case it won't be the same. The effort put into the game gave me the will to continue.
It's true that it's become a lil boring, but I still enjoy it and play it.
I never had really thought about what IF the game was completely changed...but then again that wouldn't be the same game I enjoyed playing. Sadly all the old players will probably leave, since they lost their position of power. Why not give some kind of extra power ,something (doesn't matter what) that still separates the veterans from the newbs, doesn't have to be something really big, anything is welcome.
All the time played now is just meaningless, I don't know why everyone keeps playing since it's gonna be cleared anyways.

I have seen a lot of true things here, and perfectly understand why a clear would be acceptable, but I just hate to see how over a year of my life is gonna be undone. This is one of the reasons why a lot of players will quit, I think even if i will miss the server and will have a lot of will to maybe play the new version....I might just think like most of the veterans that with this clear...this will jsut be the end of tribes rpg and nothing can be done about it. Everything is born to die later on anyways. Sadly here particle shoots the server dead.

a few facts about the server and expectations, mainly referring the particles first post on the thread
as for all reasons for a clear

Let's look at the server stats 3248, 41 active
The server was far from being perfect, and considering the age of the game you shouldn't expect too much. 41 is quite a lot considering the age of tribes as a game. Newer games are way more attracktive as they are way closer to perfection, where tribes rpg will probably always be completely inferior. The remorting system was great and very unique and also a possibility only allowed in such an old game. There are too many imperfections in the game. This typical old school game was attracktive because it had such an old game play. Don't take this wrong but tribes was a pretty sucky game , most games made nowadays kick ass and have not even half the problems that tribes has. In tribes you have profanity problems; rules breaking (which admins can't possibly always fix) and moding problems that would take several persons like particle to fix.

Just look at this whole rpg , it's doomed to collapse and have no players at one point, players are decreasing now, and it will continue. That just cant be helped. Those so called big changes are impossible to achieve. A newer version won't be much different from this one. Yet all the hard work will have been lost. It's great as it is now and nothing can be done about it, trying to fix it with a clear will result in a quite significant amount of players quitting and meaning not that much players will play at all. That so called "perfect pcrpg" can never be achieved and there's no point in taking away our fun time while it lasts. A perfect pcrpg could exist only if particle made acompletely new game, not based on tribes or on any existing game. I don't think there's even one game that's is made to last for that long. But many games are made to last for a lot of time and obvisouly more time that rpg tribes was intended to last.
I've quit many games before and i'll quit this one too, but sadly I wish i wasn't by force of the owner.
I've been thinking about it seriosuly ever since i heard there was gonna be a new (no fake this time) clear. I'll just leave without any regrets , doubt anything I say will change much....I'm pretty sure that the server wil clear....and even if it's not now, it's gonna be for later for sure.
CLear or no clear I'm gonna quit for sure and now would perfectly okay to do it. I got other games I could go deeper into anyways.
What I'll really regret is all the chatting with the people and the fun afking, which made the game so special. Having such a little community ment we could talk to the same people more often. I don't think i've ever got to know so many people in any game. The lil amount of players made the whole game fun to play. I could come play after the clear ,especially to chat meanwhile lvlin, but I don't want to rethink about the whole year wasted.
Just this whole idea of a clear made me loose all will to continue playing. Since it's all to meaningless, I'll just go play other games where I don't get cleared, or where getting cleared doenst change much. Or better where clearing is impossible. Sadly there I meet nearly nobody like here (big cummunities with tons of players make it very hard to get to know people well)

I'm sry all, a clear would be super boring and even so I had enough fun with this game.
There's nearly no point in even coming back even at the forum anymore LOL

I'll play a lil even less than now...I don't like this game anymore :p
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by kharandhil »
Je vous encule tous!

KoRo

• Fat, Emo Robot
  • Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: November 4, 2007 01:32 am CDT »
While it's true that all games die, I think there's a strong possibility of regaining what was lost (in terms of active players) if several upgrades are made. Anyone who has ever played on an RPG server before may be enticed by any new additions. Ideally, the best upgrade I can think of would be to completely switch to PCRPG: Source. But if a clear is simply made without offering anything NEW for the old characters to experience, and to draw in people who were originally turned away, then I think it will do more harm than good.

Vorter_X_

• Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: November 4, 2007 02:53 am CST »
If you clear the server I'll take over if you can eliminate AFK characters altogether. Make it a game. Games are meant to be played. Take out all scripts. Make them illegal to activate. It's amazing...I just came onto the site to re-download tribes and start playing again, and what do I see....Opportunity knocking on my door. When the first clear happened, eViL cranked out remort 1 in under 24 hours play time, I copied him and pulled out remort 1 then 2 in one sitting. I came back a week later and everyone was so happy that there wasn't anyone they couldn't kill without getting raped in the butt over and over. Set the limit on remorts to 100 as god...Nothing higher. It's illogical...Just keep making new areas for the highest levels. Hell I can help with that, I am a pretty good mapper myself.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Vorter_X_ »

Dyre

• Gnoll Fighter
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: November 4, 2007 10:22 am CST »
RL 100 as a maximum is a great idea.  I still think something should be implemented to keep things moving along though.  A couple guys on the server hated the idea of a RL 100 limit, saying that it would ruin the game since they'd have nothing else to do at that point.  I think adding a whole new system around being a god is a good solution to that problem (as I suggested before).

Also, with individual and well defined classes, players would have a big reason to create multiple characters.  The problem here would be making sure that no class is gimped, or overpowered.  A healer that can do nothing more than heal would suck, maybe they'd be the only one that could bash but they'd have low armor and hp.

I also suggest a method for linking banks between players.  Maybe an NPC that acts as a vault, and you could use it to trade money and items between seperate characters.  A simple system could be setting a password that allows access to the vault that only has to be activated a single time (#vault Dyre aneros), but a small problem with that would be that players would be able to create a vault on each character and basically double their storage.  While you wouldn't be able to stop abuse like that, at the same time, you could limit "unlocking" the vault to a single time.  That way, a player could either set up a second vault, or gain access to a shared vault, and not do both.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Dyre »
My job is done here!

*woosh*

Xenos

• Elvin Legion
    • http://www.baconcat.com
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: November 4, 2007 06:51 pm CST »
My vote is in.

X Yes (But I will be leaving)

I already left though. I don't have time to play anymore.

Clearing won't solve any player problems like hoarding,mugging,killing.  It might clear out the old problem players but there will be new ones to replace them.

Edit:
Although if there won't be major new content added or gameplay won't be drastically different then it is now you shouldn't clear.  Don't take away from those who spent some much time playing if everything will just be the same.
« Last Edit: November 9, 2007 05:52 am CST by Xenos »

villman420

• Minotaur Rager
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: November 4, 2007 08:42 pm CST »
i voted no and will leave if there is a clear. ill make my point very simple. clearing wont solve any problems. k thanks
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by villman420 »

villman420

• Minotaur Rager
(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: November 4, 2007 11:05 pm CST »
you are making no sense. stopped problems for short time? im pretty sure duped money was a big reason for last clear and no one has duped since then and gets away with it. and this talk about losing players? people join and quit all the time. its not just recent. if you had a game where people played it and never quit it would be the best game ever. like everyone said, games old and less are playing it. clear wont fix anything. "AM I RIGHT OR AM I RIGHT?"said villman1. "OH VILLMAN YOURE RIGHT" said villman2. "LAWL WHY THANK YOU KIND SIR!"said villman1.

Not doing it will continue to chase off more players then the few who do not care enough about the community to stay and play/work to make things better when they lose thier "shiny god character".
i lol'd at that one.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by villman420 »

slorge_gridlock

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: November 5, 2007 09:51 am CST »
I've peaked at RL 120 something and level 240 something...there was just nothing else to do, except either get in trouble or mine to buy dust....I lost interest.  

Now when I log on, I fly around a bit, bash some Bots/Afker's and help some lowbies.  I lost the motivation to play.

Perhaps new surroundings and a fresh start for everyone would make it fun again.  New Secrets in a new map would be cool, too, though I'm not pushing it.  Discovery in a new land would be big motivation to start again.

As far as HL2...don't have a copy...Is it Free?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by slorge_gridlock »

slorge_gridlock

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #29 on: November 5, 2007 09:54 am CST »
Quote from: "KoRo"
Quote from: "HUBBA"
I agree with this almost more than anything else you said.

What about those who have more than one person logging on from the same router?  My daughter and I occasionally log on at the same time.  Would we be penalized for trying to enjoy the game together?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by slorge_gridlock »