Poll

Should we clear to revitalize the server?

Yes (I would continue/start playing again)
21 (55.3%)
Yes (But I will be leaving)
2 (5.3%)
No (But I will start over and play)
6 (15.8%)
No (And I will leave if cleared)
9 (23.7%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Voting closed: January 31, 2008 04:37 pm CST

Author Topic: Dun dun dun dunnnnnn! (*whispers* Should we clear?)  (Read 34767 times)

Dyre

• Gnoll Fighter
(No subject)
« Reply #30 on: November 5, 2007 10:42 am CST »
I'm sure certain allowances could be made for some of the respected veteran players.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Dyre »
My job is done here!

*woosh*

KoRo

• Fat, Emo Robot
  • Centurian Lord
(No subject)
« Reply #31 on: November 5, 2007 10:44 am CST »
Quote from: "slorge_gridlock"
What about those who have more than one person logging on from the same router?  My daughter and I occasionally log on at the same time.  Would we be penalized for trying to enjoy the game together?
TBH, I wouldn't know the first thing about dealing with that. Issues like those would have to be left up to Particle. It wouldn't seem fair if only one of you could log on at a time, but I can't say I know of a way to fix it right off the bat.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by KoRo »

Dyre

• Gnoll Fighter
(No subject)
« Reply #32 on: November 5, 2007 11:21 am CST »
Outside of only allowing one log on per IP, they could make it an actual server side thing.  Tokath could simply report a second IP logging on, jail the character for 1 minute (simply to prevent them from actually doing anything), and let them know that no double logging is allowed, then kick them.

Any allowances could be scripted into tokath, by simply adding the names to a list.

edit:

simply
My job is done here!

*woosh*

Corona

• Elvin Legion
    • http://www.Linneberg.com
(No subject)
« Reply #33 on: November 5, 2007 12:57 pm CST »
I no longer have the time to play the game as obsessively as I once did. I mostly play for the community these days. A clear may fracture that community. So, I vote no.

Also, my main point about the last clear is just as valid today as it was in 2004: Forum-based clear voting is wildly inaccurate. Forum-People who don't play on the server and haven't played for years will vote, skewing the results.  Server-People who've never heard of the forum will not vote, further skewing the results.

If there is to be a clear, there also needs to be content updates. And bug fixes. Good god, it's been over a year since that bug with #onhear/#onconsider not relaying player names to codeblocks was discovered. And it's still not fixed. Scripting your quests in an absurdly inefficient and spammy way to bypass the onhear bug has become the standard.

I agree with Rose about more admin commands. With an arsenal of creative and useful admin commands, we could make quests in styles never before seen.

There is one mod out there (I forget which, but it's some sort of builder mod) where you can move objects/disfiles around in free-motion. Imagine programming a barstool to fly around randomly. Now, imagine an #oncollision or #ondamage command (TvT server has this; you can spawn items in your base and then destroy them by hitting them with your weapon). You could make a quest where you have to chase after the flying barstool and hit it with your weapon to crack it open and get at the meaty packs inside. Lame example, yes... but the things you could do with just a few more admin commands would mean a whole new world of quests.

Also: If there is a clear, what happens to Tokath? I may not have the time to level him back up to a level sufficient to 'tank' in TDen for n00bs.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Corona »

Kyrie

• Orb Member
  • Uber Menace
(No subject)
« Reply #34 on: November 5, 2007 01:37 pm CST »
THERE IS NO DEN.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Kyrie »

slorge_gridlock

• Undead Hero
(No subject)
« Reply #35 on: November 5, 2007 01:40 pm CST »
Quote from: "Corona"
Also, my main point about the last clear is just as valid today as it was in 2004: Forum-based clear voting is wildly inaccurate. Forum-People who don't play on the server and haven't played for years will vote, skewing the results.  Server-People who've never heard of the forum will not vote, further skewing the results.

yah, I don't think is a do or die election, more like a straw poll to find out where people (all RL's) stand on it.  If the forum used the actual player names, it would be different, (we could tell who was who and what their motivation might be for voting one way or another) but all in all, I think Part's just putting his toe in the water to see how cold it is.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by slorge_gridlock »

Kyrie

• Orb Member
  • Uber Menace
(No subject)
« Reply #36 on: November 5, 2007 01:52 pm CST »
He already said, in the first post, the poll results don't really matter. What matters is people's posts explaining their preference for one or the other option.

What Corona said is still true, though: the server is under-represented on the forum.

Might think about offering in an in game reward to players who start getting into the community.

HUBBA

• Elvin Legion
(No subject)
« Reply #37 on: November 5, 2007 06:45 pm CST »
Quote from: "slorge_gridlock"
Quote from: "KoRo"
Quote from: "HUBBA"
2. Double Logging. I don't think people should be able to double log. This has always been a problem in the past and with people going afk it tends to be even more of a problem. Not only do they have one character afk but they have 2.
I agree with this almost more than anything else you said.

What about those who have more than one person logging on from the same router?  My daughter and I occasionally log on at the same time.  Would we be penalized for trying to enjoy the game together?

There can be allowances to the double logging. In the past before it was legal to double log, people would inform an Admin, and it was overlooked. We could tell if a player was double logging or not.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by HUBBA »

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
(No subject)
« Reply #38 on: November 5, 2007 06:47 pm CST »
Posted on behalf of Astal:

Yo particle, it's Astal... since i cant get on the forums i cant vote for the clear so here is my vote if you can post it for me. thanks.

I would not like a clear because i wont have much time to get back to god since it is the beginning of the school year. I dont exactly want to get to god again but i want to keep playing. Maybe if there is a clear we can have it during the summer so i can get back to god pretty quickly.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Particle »
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

JayJay

• Elvin Legion
(No subject)
« Reply #39 on: November 6, 2007 08:56 pm CST »
I say you clear and put some sort of 'end' to the game, sure I don't play anymore but starting over will let the new generation of TRPG players compete with the veterans that still play for the top spot on the server.  Any person that remorts more than 200 times, needs to seriously go outside and take a walk in the park.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by JayJay »

Kyrie

• Orb Member
  • Uber Menace
(No subject)
« Reply #40 on: November 6, 2007 09:01 pm CST »
I'm on like remort 2570 or something. I bike through the park daily.

RedneckNoob

• PCRPG Admins
  • Elvin Legion
(No subject)
« Reply #41 on: November 6, 2007 11:00 pm CST »
I voted yes.  While I may be busy at the moment with school work and the like, I'd be willing to try and make some time on the side to start playing again if there were some new things.  I felt like I had experienced everything already with the little that I had played, and new content and variety could make it enjoyable again.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by RedneckNoob »

Record number of Star Wars references in a single day: 94
Record number of Star Trek references in a single day: 62

Das Weib war der zweite Fehlgriff Gottes.  -Friedrich Nietzsche

NiGhTmArE

• Goblin Pup
(No subject)
« Reply #42 on: November 7, 2007 12:28 am CST »
Inc, you do know there were reasons for the first clears right? And I would like to know what the reason is here, because people AFK in zones is not a problem fixable by a clear. I remember last clear was caused because of some bad admins/admin abuse. But I see now problem like that now...And not many new people are coming to play PCRPG, most people don't bother to try a game that is as old as Tribes, so there will not be a greater gain of new players compared to active players.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by NiGhTmArE »

Dyre

• Gnoll Fighter
(No subject)
« Reply #43 on: November 7, 2007 12:57 am CST »
The reason against a clear is pretty damn silly.  It's always the same.

"I don't want to have to actually play again.  I want to be able to AFK all my levels."

That's all I'm reading.

For anybody complaining that it takes too long to level up.  Arf started playing TRPG somewhere around six months ago.  He was able to make it to god status within just a month or two, as a complete noob to the game.  And he had to deal with the exact same stuff everyone else does.

If you're simply worried about your uber remort level or your god status, don't worry, a simple clear will only mean that you'll actually play for a couple weeks.
My job is done here!

*woosh*

Xenos

• Elvin Legion
    • http://www.baconcat.com
(No subject)
« Reply #44 on: November 9, 2007 05:54 am CST »
The reason for a clear is pretty damn silly.  It's always the same.

"People are killing me or afking in all the zones.  We should clear because that solves all my problems!"

That's all I'm reading.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Xenos »