Author Topic: PCRPG Client Update System  (Read 8811 times)

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
PCRPG Client Update System
« on: March 8, 2008 06:03 pm CST »
DOWNLOAD
PCRPG Client Updater v1.02

PLEASE UPDATE TO THIS VERSION.  VERSION 1.01b WILL FAIL TO DO FURTHER UPDATES DUE TO CHANGES IN THE COMPRESSIONS UTILIZED!

This file requires the .NET 2.0 Framework or higher to be installed.  If you keep up to date on Windows Update, any OS from Windows 2000 to Windows Vista should work with this program already.  Kinda.

Important Note Regarding Windows 2000:
This program works normally on Windows XP, Vista, and Server 2008.  For some reason, Windows 2000 doesn't always work properly, so I am not offering official support for that OS.  Since the program doesn't always do what I tell it to on that OS, there's little I can do about it.  It seems to be a platform bug.

If you need the .NET 2.0 Framework, it's only a 22MB download and does not require Windows Genuine Advantage.  This is nice if you hate that crap as much as I do.
.NET 2.0 Framework Installer

VITAL INSTRUCTIONS IF YOU ARE UPGRADING:
If you have version 1.01b running in the background already, you will see this window during the installation of 1.02:

It is vital that you DO NOT press Continue.  It will skip updating the core program!  Instead, close the PCRPG Client Updater v1.01b and then click Try Again.  This will ensure a proper upgrade!

Fortunately, you can fix this even if you've already experienced the problem.  Close the updater and then launch the 1.02 installer again.  Do a repair install.  Then, launch the updater again.  You should be at 1.02 now.

This software will keep your client up to date when you use it to launch PCRPG.  When you go to connect, it will do a dynamic update if needed so that your client has all the necessary client-side updates to play the game.  This will allow us to seamlessly update game content as desired instead of running around in circles for years because people would have to find download packs, would fail to do so, and leave.

HOW TO USE IT?  :rofl:
Just install the msi setup package wherever you feel like and then run the "Play PCRPG!" shortcut icon that appears on your desktop.  The updater will launch and stay minimized in your system tray.  Since this is your first time running it, it is going to complain and nag you about setting up your settings page.  This is a straight-forward endeavor, since it opens the page for you.  Just locate your Tribes.exe or T1Vista.exe file and click the Save button.  Now, you can launch the game by double clicking either the tray icon or the desktop shortcut.

Each time you go to play the game, the updater will automatically fetch any updates that are needed for you to play.  Then, it will launch the game for you (and optionally connect you to the PCRPG server if you set that option in the settings panel).

It's that easy.  Just launch the game through the updater when you want to play PCRPG and it will keep you care-free forever.  No more finding update packs, no more making TRPG shortcuts manually, etc.

You can right click on the tray icon any time the updater is running in the background to setup your settings, view your update history, etc.

The updater is small, unobtrusive, and easy to use.  It will also be required in the future.
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

Corona

• Elvin Legion
    • http://www.Linneberg.com
Re: PCRPG Client Update System
« Reply #1 on: March 8, 2008 06:16 pm CST »
Amazing. And works flawlessly

HUBBA

• Elvin Legion
« Reply #2 on: March 8, 2008 08:15 pm CST »
I had no trouble with it.

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
« Reply #3 on: March 8, 2008 11:23 pm CST »
Doing an update tomorrow to change over to either no compression or bzip2 compression.  The gzip compression I'm using in v1.01b is actually making most files balloon in size.
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
« Reply #4 on: March 9, 2008 09:17 pm CDT »
The problems users were experiencing tonight with the update system have been fixed.  No client changes are required--just launch the game like normal.

Lidge Farkley

• Uber Menace
    • http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/psychosworld2/
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008 04:53 pm CDT »
Have you played with Python before?
Not saying .Net is bad, but if it is frustrating... well, Python exists and it is cross platform.
:-)
Lend your heart unto the divine mineral TOPAZ;
from which our reverent hearts and minds sprang.
Also Known As:  Alcoholic 007
My Page of tribes Tools and Helpful "FAQ" Stuff

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008 06:56 pm CDT »
I'm not a big fan of Python.  It's even slower than Java.

Lidge Farkley

• Uber Menace
    • http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/psychosworld2/
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008 01:11 am CDT »
Quote from: "Particle"
I'm not a big fan of Python.  It's even slower than Java.

Hmm... I found it much faster than Java, but I wasn't doing much more than simple programming homework.
I don't blame you, though, because every scripted language has about a billion ways to slow down these days.
I kind of miss the old days when things would simply not work if something was wrong...
*sigh*

Still... well, nevermind...!
Thanks for keeping this server up and well supported! :-)
Lend your heart unto the divine mineral TOPAZ;
from which our reverent hearts and minds sprang.
Also Known As:  Alcoholic 007
My Page of tribes Tools and Helpful "FAQ" Stuff