Author Topic: Rep of a hacker: The Shorty Debate  (Read 4959 times)

iViking

• Goblin Pup
Rep of a hacker: The Shorty Debate
« on: July 7, 2008 08:33 pm CDT »
In 2006, Shorty set up the series of events that lead him to his status of being the most infamous player in PCRPG history.  Despite multiple bannings and attempts to remove him from the server for good, this hacker always finds his way through the secured server and still reeks havoc to new players.  From pack guarding, to phoning the admins late at night, the server's main antagonist will always remain a threat both on and off PCRPG.  On the morning of July 7, 2008, after a chat with "moshizzy", he sends in a zip file containing .cs files and an executable.  The executable, containing spyware, hacks the computer and kicks me off my pcrpg session, as well as my teamspeak session.  After running SpyBot, the spyware was gone and I gave myself 1,000,000 dumbass points for realizing too late that moshizzy was alledgedly foshizzle, an alt of Shorty.  Not enough proof was given, but after running the firewall my cousin wrote for me, it was a stroke of luck, as a spike sent in by Shorty srung the trap within the firewall and prevented what could've been a fried computer.  But his tracks were covered; he removed his email and IP before I could run a trace program, also given to me by my cousin.  Hopefully, the firewall, along with Spybot and Symantec will protect my computer from any future threats from Shorty.

Kyrie

• Orb Member
  • Uber Menace
Re: Rep of a hacker: The Shorty Debate
« Reply #1 on: July 7, 2008 08:59 pm CDT »
It's not very common, actually, that he can evade Tokath's ban script. He hasn't even been trying to like he used to.
He's not a hacker at all, just a script kiddy, but you're not the first person to mistakenly put their trust in him, only to end up burned.

Biggest piece of advice: don't accept files (even Tribes scripts) from people you're even remotely unsure about. Without careful review of a script before you run it, a script could easily steal your character.
The only scripts I'd trust come from sources like PCRPG.org and Linneberg.com.

As far as threats to the server, I'd put him near the bottom. Funny story, though.

HUBBA

• Elvin Legion
« Reply #2 on: July 8, 2008 05:48 pm CDT »
Your giving Shorty way to much credit.

okaygo

• Goblin Pup
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008 12:28 pm CDT »
i :vikings:

Celtic16

• Undead Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008 01:27 pm CDT »
Quote from: "iViking"
the most infamous player in PCRPG history.

I thought I was!

ShortStuff102

• phpBB REGISTERED
  • Undead Hero
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009 05:52 am CST »
i pwn
They used to call me Shorty, now they call me herpes, i keep coming back.

funger

• Orc Thrasher
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010 04:31 pm CDT »
actually hes been doing it for longer than you guys think lol   ive been here since the begining of pcrpg and shorty came on about 02 or 03
he was a good boy for the first year or so tho

and i have to say that i have never had a problem with shorty, i have bashed him off the planet a few times for being a dumb azz but hes usualy ok with me
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010 04:34 pm CDT by funger »

B2

• Undead Hero
« Reply #7 on: November 1, 2010 08:14 pm CDT »
Shorty's cool if you get to know him :D

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
« Reply #8 on: November 4, 2010 03:09 pm CDT »
Yeah, he's no hacker.  He's the king of utilizing what other people figure out though.  The only reason he's still here is because he wants to be here more than any of us care to keep bans active enough to get rid of him.  He's also extremely low-impact in terms of administrative trouble and makes things a little interesting for a lot of players.

Occasionally I'll get some spare time and harass him for a while.
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

KoRo

• Fat, Emo Robot
  • Centurian Lord
« Reply #9 on: November 5, 2010 04:14 pm CDT »
I have admit that the game really isn't nearly as interesting without him around. When he's off the server, it's kind of...boring. Although the peace of mind IS nice, it does get very repetitive.

funger

• Orc Thrasher
« Reply #10 on: November 8, 2010 06:00 pm CST »
Yeah, he's no hacker.  He's the king of utilizing what other people figure out though.  The only reason he's still here is because he wants to be here more than any of us care to keep bans active enough to get rid of him.  He's also extremely low-impact in terms of administrative trouble and makes things a little interesting for a lot of players.

Occasionally I'll get some spare time and harass him for a while.

I just wonder where he got all the ip's when he started being an azz, UG banned his entire sub and he still got on, nobody in his area could but he did, makes u wonder doesnt it?

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2010 11:51 pm CST »
He's hard to ban because he just dials in from other ISPs on modems.
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

ShortStuff102

• phpBB REGISTERED
  • Undead Hero
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010 06:32 pm CST »
particle...  i havent employed that method in at least 5 years...  my world is ruled by unsecured wifi networks
They used to call me Shorty, now they call me herpes, i keep coming back.

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010 09:05 am CST »
True enough, I haven't had to contend with that in a while.  Your selection of wifi networks is going to be a lot more limited than dial-up ISPs were, so watch yourself.