Author Topic: The Great Server Clear Debate of 2008  (Read 6940 times)

Jonathan

• Goblin Pup
Re: The Great Server Clear Debate of 2008
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2008 03:01 pm CST »
That could be pretty fun. I can already imagine noobies getting killed lvling on headcrabs ha. If HL2 uses worldcraft then I might be able to make some maps. I used to make some really sick half-life maps, but ew worldcraft is not really a simple editor and If I had to guess I would say they probably made it more complicated for HL2 ha.The tribes editor is a million times more simple, but there are less options in the way of creating new shapes and texturing. Anyways if you send me the current map and the mod I will gladly remake the current zones to begin with. I'm not interested in hosting though. I will just make the map and send it back to you to check out. If anyone comes forward and is willing to add in higher lvl bots or if I figure how to do this in the process I could make zones for them as well. I have some interesting ideas for some of the zones and I think changing the map would be a push in the right direction. Please send to my email address on here or PM me if this sounds like a good idea.

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2008 05:24 pm CST »
We really need to begin with a new terrain.  Do you know how to do that?
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

12Stones

• Minotaur Rager
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2008 06:29 pm CST »
im feeling lazy so here is the cliffnotes version of what im thinking..  i'll elaborate on the ideas later

corona did stuff for you AND crucible, talk with him about combining content (and maybe even communities/servers?  idk, throwing it out there..  more players together is better)
evil_inc, speak for yourself..  you make it sound like the entire community agrees with you when they don't

you make yourself look selfish..  particle shouldn't clear because one person (so far) doesn't want to lose his character that he just AFKs with all day?  are you really fighting for a character so boring to play that it makes you want to do something more enjoyable while it plays itself?

Quote from: "Aphex"
mmm so many different types of music, so little time.

|\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ASCII FAN\\\|]

Jonathan

• Goblin Pup
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2008 10:24 pm CST »
I know how to generate basic terrains with the editor although I can't say I have all that much experience with the terrain editor because making new terrains instantly makes the map client-side. I dunno how they got those huge hills to ever work, but if I had to guess I would say it took a long time to sculpt out those and the valleys and rivers. It would be very simple to make a terrain, but not one with the kind've huge hills in the current one. I could probably figure it out easy enough though, but then players would have to download the map or it wouldn't let them on the server. If were going to have a download we might as well try to get a modeler to make some new types of enemies or at least change some of the zone songs heh.

12Stones

• Minotaur Rager
« Reply #19 on: December 1, 2008 01:15 pm CST »
Quote from: "EVIL_INC"
I made it to "godhood" without going afk and only started to well after reaching godhood when my character was "powerfull" enough for me to feel comfortable doing so. I did not reach godhood until after 2 years of playing. I did not even use transport until I had reached rl 70. Dont say I did not work for my position as I most obviously did. And I am still one of the weakest Gods on the server. People like to keep what they earn. This is especially so when there is no reason to take it away in the first place beyond to serve those selfish people who have not earned it for themselves and rather then have the gumption (or "balls) to make an effort to earn thier own spot in the ranks of the "powerfull", seek only to tear down what others have rightfully earned.

Ok, so you didn't AFK your way to being a god..  congrats.  That means roughly 70% of all this "work" as you call it, even though this is a game and not a job, was done while you were AFK (assuming you are remort 500 although you are probably higher).

I don't want a clear because I want you to lose what you have earned..  I want a clear because it's fun to start over with everyone at an equal level.  I enjoy actually being challenged by the bots for a change, and I enjoy partying up with people near my level so one person doesn't 1 hit kill everything while I get no experience.  I like being able to actually kill someone for RP, and I like knowing that they have the ability to fight back and return the favor.  I like knowing that people aren't going to AFK all day long for fear of being mugged or killed since it could actually happen.

I played before the last clear and I had several high RL characters, but that doesn't mean I didn't thoroughly enjoy a clear every time it happened.  Right now, catching up to the higher RL players isn't a matter of "balls"..  it's a matter of how often you want to check your computer to see if you're ready for the next zone.

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
« Reply #20 on: December 1, 2008 06:12 pm CST »
Yes, if we update things we may as well make it clientside.  There aren't any newbies to throw off anymore.
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

Vorter_X_

• Centurian Lord
« Reply #21 on: December 1, 2008 08:44 pm CST »
Both of you ignorant children need to stop bickering...Suck each other off and be done with it. I'm not joking either...Evil, you are honestly one of the most immature humans I've ever encountered...You were immature 6 years ago, and you're immature now. Don't forking take everything people say so goddamn seriously. Loosen up and have fun. THIS IS A GAME...You have been told that countless times and for some odd reason you just seem to get worse about making other people feel bad about their side of the story / what-the-fork-ever...Oh...and I know for a fact that the first time you got to "god", you used transport every remort up to and passed god...Don't try that bullmalarkey on me. I've been around this community longer than you have buster.

Rant over

Terrain editing is the worst part about making a map in tribes. I've tried to do it countless times. Making holes in the map is actually harder than trying to get the government to listen to you. If we need new models...We might be able to get Hosed...He made the Ethren keep back in the day. And quite a few houses. I keep in good contact with Mr. Hosed...He actually used to live 4 miles from me, but recently moved to Montana LoL.

12Stones

• Minotaur Rager
« Reply #22 on: December 2, 2008 01:11 am CST »
You said buster..  that's so cute.

I like you.

Vorter_X_

• Centurian Lord
« Reply #23 on: December 2, 2008 02:23 am CST »
I swore enough in the rest of it...I didn't need to call him another dirty word...Like children...Such a dirty word...

12Stones

• Minotaur Rager
« Reply #24 on: December 2, 2008 02:26 pm CST »
this thread should be restricted to people who actually play their characters while in the server

Jonathan

• Goblin Pup
« Reply #25 on: December 2, 2008 03:31 pm CST »
The same thing is being said again and again here guys. If we knew your opinion on the last page of the thread we don't need to hear it again in an even longer post. Also saying you are bad at computers and then asking other people to do a ton of ideas for you is not contributing to the community. Read some tutorials and learn by trial and error. Don't assume everyone was born with computer smarts. They learned it and if you were willing you could too. Don't have the time or will? Then why would you assume someone else does? I can tell you right now you are not going to see good flying bots in starsiege tribes. Vorter_X_ if you could ask Hosed for a building or two that would be great. I know that there are several rpg shapes rarely used which are already in the mod, but the .vols for them aren't being called in the .mis file of the map. I have been changing the buildings of the zones in rpgmap5 on my server and I found that there is a second stronghold base which is pretty nifty as well as a second type of ethren castle. There's also another minotaurs lair, but I haven't gotten this one to work (although I remember seeing it and the catipult shape in Midieval Nights). Anyways my point is we don't really need a ton of new buildings as there's also a lot of combinations of cool bases you can make with the tribes base shapes. I'll post pics later tonight of some of the zones I've come up with so far or if you want stop in the server rpgmapping the pass is pushbiscuit.

Adam6

« Reply #26 on: December 2, 2008 04:23 pm CST »
So whats the deal?

Clear or not?

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
« Reply #27 on: December 2, 2008 06:56 pm CST »
I haven't yet decided, adam.

Vorter_X_

• Centurian Lord
« Reply #28 on: December 2, 2008 11:03 pm CST »

Jonathan

• Goblin Pup
« Reply #29 on: December 3, 2008 03:43 am CST »
I decided to make a video showing some of the changes to the zones I made on my server so far. I haven't touched minotaurs and ubers yet and I don't have the map or mod on particles server so there is no tene cave, cent highhold, or demon zone. It's a work in progress. http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LUk7NPQnLs&fmt=18