Author Topic: How many people...  (Read 7741 times)

Skippy

• Goblin Pup
Re: How many people...
« Reply #30 on: January 2, 2003 10:45 pm CST »
I also like the comment "From the good, friendly people at SourceForge..."

I find humor in other people's unintelligence. I'm so very cruel.

EDIT: And I also explained to him that a normal cathode ray TV cannot produce pictures of more than 640x480, but he wouldn't believe me. :(
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Skippy »

Darwin

• Centurian Lord
    • http://www.mierda54.tripod.com
« Reply #31 on: January 2, 2003 11:15 pm CST »
Meanies...

No, I do not have alot of money. I mow lawns, rake leaves, fix computers, etc for cash. Cant believe your response to my posts were actually so hostile.

Ok, well, I can understand if I got a higher framerate on my TV (even if my UT2K3 was already stuck at 640x480). But the thing is, my TV has both component and S-video outlets, as well as composite (blah). Now, it seems that TV's that come with component video should be somewhat better than the average tv, right?

I have no idea what kind of TV it is. Its just a phillips tv, 27", thats all.

Also, people are not "pro-sumer". Products are. Pro-sumer (according to Fresh Gear *techtv*) is a product that is for the high-end consumer. Nothing i have is pro-sumer. Most everything, from my computer to pocket pc to my tv, is mid range.

Hmm. The US standard for TV's uses a 59.94Hz Field rate and a 29.97Hz Frame rate and PAL TV's (for you Europeans)are 50 and 25Hz. So really, if you are thinking about it, it shouldnt make much of a difference because computer's with interlaced monitors at around 75+ Hz can OBVIOUSLY reach higher framerates.

Also, if conventional TV's only reach 640x480, why do game console makers such as microsoft and nintendo boast higher resolutions? Boggles the mind. Im sure I am wrong (since most of you agree THAT I AM) but whatever, why the hell do I really care? I dont know. I'm just posting another irritating and non-intelligent post. Forgive me if I would be excited by a 150" screen in my own home.

Another thing, I like the guys at sourceforge because they ported Linux to the Xbox. Now I think its pretty damn cool that they made Quake look awesome. If you have something against them skippy, then keep your thoughts to yourself.

Also, lastly, I'm sorry if alot of my posts steer a conversation WAY off track. In real life, I talk the same way. I always bring up something random, change the subject if I find the subject matter boring in any way.

Sorry for the parts about poo and dildos. Thats just me getting carried away 8)

-Darwin

<3?

*edit*
Oh yeah, and back to the part "notebook mania". Its like a fad, Jason. I got a "realatively cheap" pocket pc last year, and I brought it to school to listen to MP3's, I didnt know it would be such a big hit. Now, the principal has set up a Wi-Fi network all around the school because of the demand since so many students began buying pocket pc's. First, the people in my homeroom bought them, then it began to spread to other classes. Two seniors in my french class who wanted to play with my pocket pc every day each bought one of their own about a month after I got mine. If I brought a notebook to school (which doesnt look like anybody has done yet) what do you suspect will happen?

*edit again*
Particle, is the video really that bad on digital cable? I see jaggies every now and then.

*edit one more time*
And Jason, werent you wishing me a happy birthday just 4 minutes before you posted that?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Darwin »

UnderGod

• Centurian Lord
« Reply #32 on: January 3, 2003 02:52 am CST »
Bull forking malarkey..

/me slaps the hell out of Darwin.

You are gonna get another SUper bash for that..

Philips forking pwns.

THere isn't a damned thing better.. Sure Sony has it's name to live by, but EVERY electronic device I have that Philips makes, I Have..

Alarm clocks.. 27" TV 36" TV and 64" TV.. Not to mention my 17" Flatscreen moniter...

Everywhere you look in my house, you see Philips..
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by UnderGod »
"The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world"

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
« Reply #33 on: January 3, 2003 04:31 am CST »
Yes, they compress that video pretty heavily.  You can take video from a PC that is plagued with jaggies and pixelation and crap and make it look smooth on a TV.  How much do you think they compress it to where you can actually still see jaggies on a TV??  A LOT.

You'll notice that analog sources (doesn't include most cable channels even on normal cable, since most feeds come from satellites to the cable office anyway) don't suffer from that problem.  It's the compression from digital sources.

---

As for TV out, you're still producing the frames even if they can't be displayed.  How do you really know that the output from your card uses the same frame rate and field rate as normal input?

Same way that people can have 250fps on QuakeIII--they can't display that on a monitor!  They simply have vSync disabled.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Particle »
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

UnderGod

• Centurian Lord
« Reply #34 on: January 3, 2003 04:48 am CST »
Unfortunately the max FPS in HL is 150..

I hate  playing games when I have under 100 fps...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by UnderGod »
"The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world"

Jason_Xero

• Uber Menace
« Reply #35 on: January 3, 2003 06:25 am CST »
Yeah Dar, I HAD to make a flame post. :) .  Now to your question;  I will explain in depth tonight about that jazz, but for now I have to go fix people's computers.  To answer your question:  HD ready TVs support resolutions up to 1080i (i for interlaced)  and the consoles boast higher resolutions for that reason.

Conventional TV's, I would opt to guess, are  near a resolution of 320x200.  You can test this with Half-Life (or for you CS newbs), Counter-Strike,  by setting the resolution for 320x200 and see how much clearer things are than in 640x480.

Try this:  sit 10 inches from your TV and then tell me how good it looks.

Oh, and stop getting your info from and  stop watching TechTV, you say you're not a geek, but that just geekafies you...
 ;D
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Jason_Xero »
Gotta love SBC with their 6Mbps tier for 45$
(Yes, on their site it only shows 3Mbps, but it is actually 6Mbps, I would know :)).

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
« Reply #36 on: January 3, 2003 08:53 am CST »
Conventional TV's are 720x480, commonly (and mistakenly) said to run 640x480.  They don't run 320x240 though, Xero.

As for the resolution, the models and stuff are higher-quality.  Therefore, the "resolution" of the models are higher, even if the resolution of the actual game is the same.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Particle »
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

Skippy

• Goblin Pup
« Reply #37 on: January 3, 2003 09:44 am CST »
No, darwin, I'm not trying to make fun of you in any way...

And, I find the sourceforge comment funny, because you speak of it, as if they're only like 5 people, when in fact, it's just a way of getting your work around...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Skippy »

Darwin

• Centurian Lord
    • http://www.mierda54.tripod.com
« Reply #38 on: January 3, 2003 10:10 am CST »
I didnt quite understand that last post skippy but mmkay.

I never said that I wasnt a geek.  I am, in fact, a geek.  I dont look like one, but I am.  I more identify myself as a gamer than a geek though.  And I <3 TechTV.

(going off topic)  I kicked Adam Sessler's (extended play) ass in the UT2K3.  Yeah, thats right baby boy!  Iceman! 0wnz j00!

Also, ozzy, I never said anything bad about Phillips.  I love my Phillips TV.  Hey, do you even have those really cool lightbulbs installed in your house that make everything brighter and show their true color?  I have some, but I need to buy some 60 watt ones.  I got some 100 watt bulbs installed in my bathroom, and its pretty harsh light when its the first light you see in the morning.   Ssssssssssss!  AHHH! My eyes!  They Burn!!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 06:00 pm CST by Darwin »